Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

• Re: Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Interested to know what you people tell your Gantry 5 customers when they realize their brand new website doesn't work on their older smartphone.
    • The following users have thanked you: Empowermom

• I am a faithful type of guy but i am at my wits end here. I searched on "lumiere" template for help and nothing new was posted. It simply won't let me update to 3.4.8. so i am once again trying to decided if rocket is the way for me to go. I got a client who paid me to update his chromotaphore template from 2.5 to 3.4 but rocket has not yet updated the theme. Only a few left to go and it figures that chromotophore is one of them that will never get updated it seems. Now i gotta reconstruct and rebuild the clients site on lumiere or ? theme. This is my first post. I am way in over my head cause this club is definitely an intermediate joomla club. I need help.
      Simple question: Is Lumiere template any good? i like it due to the backgrounds.
      Next simple question: If not Lumiere and chromotophore, then what template is the best one for being "rock solid" stable. No eccomerce.
      I wish i could talkk to a joomla guy who knows rockettheme stuff, it would save me days/weeks of spinning my wheels.
      It seems the last set of themes are all ugly with big block module postions with nothing great to offer? But....i still am here. Someone got advice other than "hire it done"?

• *** CAUTION, LONG POST****

OBVIOUSLY, we have some dissension amongst the ranks. So I'm going to speak out for the proud and the many who are complaing and I'm going to try to be logical and non-emotional about the whole thing. I type like I speak, with CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. I'll happily give praise where it's due. But I'll also be honest when I see something wrong so don't get all EMO on me over my thoughts.

Oh Great RT God of the sky, you need to put your ego on the back burner, grab a cup of coffee and listen to one of your most loyal and ardent fans. Gantry 5 is a miss! At least as it stands. I would liken this to a Ford Edsel moment.

I may not be the world's best coder, but I've been in this particular business for some time now. I've been connecting people on the internet since the INFANCY of the internet... before there were services available to the public, before there was Qlink, which became PClink, which became AOL... and well... enough about history. You get my drift. I'm 60 years old and lived Corporate America for 23 years with cherry positions during most of that time. Then I flew the coop, went solo and I've done pretty well for myself in the hardware/software world. Couple that with my tenure around here (since RT was a baby) and maybe you will believe I am qualified to offer this assessment.

All companies roll out products thinking they are the latest, greatest and most improved. They may well be, but there's this problem. It's call USABILITY for the ***masses***. While the inventor gets "IT", you better be sure the USER does. If you want to call it functionality for idiots, go ahead. SOME TIMES, you gotta' back up and bring that puppy back home. Revise, restructure or do whatever you have to do, and THEN reintroduce it when it really IS ***easier*** and more improved instead of a hot mess for the majority. Can you say, "Korean Instructions translated to English" (Dear God, please don't anyone take offense to that... it really is a good example.)

In short, I think RT may wish to consider ***seriously*** contemplating the negative feedback and perhaps you will come to the conclusion you may have a misfire. We, the ***AVERAGE end users*** are not happy with Gantry 5. Maybe an elite few, but that's not your bread and butter and we aren't here to learn code. Try as you may, the majority of your users don't want to know any more than they have to. There ARE more important things than a template to deal with in life. PRESSING things! We shouldn't need CLE on a monthly basis to accomplish that.

We are here to get a functional template up and running. If WE, after YEARS of experience with you, can't fathom this complex beast you created, what in the heck do you think we are going to do with our clients? How many novice users do you think will STICK with it now? If you don't know the answer, I can give you some insight. The honest answer is, you are going to lose business, many members and a good deal of referrals if seasoned developers are having trouble with it.

It would be one thing if Gantry 5 offered us everything we had in Gantry 4 ***out of the box*** but it didn't. And that PageBuilder, while it's cool, was invented a couple years ago by a competitor. We HAD ONE in Gantry 4 that was BETTER. You've mixed, matched, moved around and pieced together what ONCE was a great (and logical) framework for the ***AVERAGE end user*** and this monster has become so complex it will, in FACT, require a seasoned developer(/designer/whatever you want to call yourself) to get it up, running, funtioning and customized ***properly***! If you are worried about being "proprietary**** be my guest. You got it, I don't want it, and you won't have to worry about me.

Now then, if your desire is to hit only the Developer/Designer market, state it. If not, realize you are no longer catering to or respecting the people who, like I did, come here to grab a professional looking template for their site, install and go. You are the team we pay to meet OUR needs. And yes, it's a team effort. But you have an obligation to keep your expectations focused on the consumers. US.... the club members.... WE are the consumers. Do we get a say in what we are paying for? At least a little smidgen? I think we are being overlooked and you are not hearing us.

While RT is a great place to learn, the professed theory of RT from the start was to make it easy for the ***AVERAGE end user*** and it's gone way beyond that realm now. When I found Joomla, I remember what it was like to grasp the languages, theory, and interelated systems. I came here to avoid having to build a template from scratch for Joomla (which didn't go well in the first year). I found an entire team of professionals who have helped nurse me, guide me and lead me to the vast knowledge base I have today. You made me WANT to learn more. But not all your users have the deep seeded desire to know the HOW. They just want to USE.

The ***BEST thing*** RT did for me beyond all else was deliver peace of mind in knowing I didn't have to reinvent the wheel to get a polished site up and running in minutes.... not hours.... not days... not weeks... MINUTES. I've made money on RT because my clients could USE IT.... and here we go again *** OUT...OF...THE...BOX*** I don't EVEN want to think of trying to train an inexperienced admin on Gantry 5. OMG! The thought is worse than a paper cut to the eyeball!

Your new invention is failing miserably based simply on ease of use and you've created something that even confuses your staff. Point blank, this is the most illogical step I've seen you ever take and I am quickly tiring of the lack of logic in this new framework. I can only imagine some very creepy scenarios if I keep it coupled with Joomla for any length of time on a busy multi-user site. I have truly had one or two (for real) nightmares during this process. If required, I could write a small book on the hows and whys this is a monster for end users and developers alike. Consider this my first of many installments until the dust settles or you at least LEARN TO BLOG!

I say, take that poor sick baby back to the hospital, perform the necessary surgeries, and keep Gantry 5 on the drawing board until it is more ***AVERAGE*** user friendly. Focus on what WORKED (Gantry 4). As to me, all I can see is spending all my time learning MORE language and codes than necessary. Then there's the teaching, administering to, commiserating and otherwise pulling my hair out with clients over any Gantry 5 template at this point.

You've seen an outpouring of posts in many of the forums, you've seen the grief, you've seen others ATTEMPTING to overcome the shortcomings of this release. Need I say it? "You broke a perfectly good wheel, Daddy."

I want Gantry 4 for now and I'd like to see the team "I" rely on focus on keeping Gantry 4 and giving us the quality along with ease of use we are accustomed to.
      I SAY WITH ALL SINCERITY, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

I WOULD LIKE CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT ON GANTRY 4
      UP TO AND UNTIL GANTRY 5 IS FULLY PREPPED
      FOR PRIME TIME
      AND
      MEETS THE NEEDS OF
      THE AVERAGE END USER.
      REMEMBER K.I.S.S.?

Those who agree, feel free to chime in any time here.

and one last thing.... learn to BLOG to your paid members. We deserve at least that much. Self-imposed or not, you've set a standard of service meeting deadlines with very little exception. If you expect us to accept a lower standard, what are YOU going to give up? We all know the calendar and what day of the week it is. Businesses are expected to operate within reasonable hours, global or not. Friday or Monday... doesn't make a difference on a release date. Friday is better anyway. We have time to practice over the weekend. Holidays. We get it. Vacations coming up? Sounds like scheduling, organization... those are merely a matter of planning and are required of any business. So adapt and get back on schedule. And if you can't make a deadline, don't hide in the corner.....

BLOG when you KNOW you are falling short of said "self-imposed" deadlines. Not a post in a forum which may or may not be noticed. BLOG! BLOG! Do you hear me? .... and once more for good measure..... YOU HAVE JOOMLA! soooooooooo............

BLOG damnit! <---- Now THAT was an emotional remark and I stand by it.

Thank you all, and have a grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 day! I'm outta' here to go play today. For the first time in years, RT wore me out! TGIF! ;)

The preceeding information was provided as is, with no warranties, express or implied, based upon 4+ decades in corporate America and the following statement expressed by members of SHARK TANK weekly: If you need an infomercial, your product isn't ready for prime time.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Empowermom. Reason: shark tank backup
    • The following users have thanked you: RedRiverBlack

• mike pindell wrote:
      Next simple question: If not Lumiere and chromotophore, then what template is the best one for being "rock solid" stable. No eccomerce.

...i still am here. Someone got advice other than "hire it done"?

You might placate your client with the knowledge that 3.5 Stable is due to come out in 2 days and many of the products you are using/will use will need review before proceeding. The upgrade from Joomla 2.5 to 3.X is fairly easy. The problem is with extensions and making sure they are either disabled prior to upgrade and then updated or removed if incompatible. As to templates, look at the compatibility matrix here: www.rockettheme.com/joomla-templates-compatibility-matrix

Next, browse the templates and see which ones have backgrounds for various sections. Lumiere is a nice template. The closest template to Chromatphore I've seen is Diametric. It's one of my personals although not recently updated. That said, it's running strong for me on several sites. Next are Stratos, Hexeris, Oculus, and Anacron. Textures and backgrounds are easy to play with. Check the Changelog for each template to see when they were last updated. The later the better, although they are currently all functional. If you don't mind learning..... you may wish to check out one of the Gantry 5 templates. All depends on how much time you have to spend and how patient your client can be talked into being. Good things take time and prudence in the web world. Excellence even longer. Remind him why he hired you as I'm sure it was for excellence.

Now then, as to being "rock solid" stable, all of RT Themes foot that bill as much as it is possible. With a steady diet of Joomla upgrades, along with upgrades to all the core programming behind Joomla, you have to keep learning to stay "stable" with any product.

Hope this helps. :)
    • Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Empowermom. Reason: left out quote

• Empowermom wrote:
      *** CAUTION, LONG POST****

OBVIOUSLY, we have some dissension amongst the ranks. So I'm going to speak out for the proud and the many who are complaing and I'm going to try to be logical and non-emotional about the whole thing. I type like I speak, with CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. I'll happily give praise where it's due. But I'll also be honest when I see something wrong so don't get all EMO on me over my thoughts.

Oh Great RT God of the sky, you need to put your ego on the back burner, grab a cup of coffee and listen to one of your most loyal and ardent fans. Gantry 5 is a miss! At least as it stands. I would liken this to a Ford Edsel moment.

I may not be the world's best coder, but I've been in this particular business for some time now. I've been connecting people on the internet since the INFANCY of the internet... before there were services available to the public, before there was Qlink, which became PClink, which became AOL... and well... enough about history. You get my drift. I'm 60 years old and lived Corporate America for 23 years with cherry positions during most of that time. Then I flew the coop, went solo and I've done pretty well for myself in the hardware/software world. Couple that with my tenure around here (since RT was a baby) and maybe you will believe I am qualified to offer this assessment.

All companies roll out products thinking they are the latest, greatest and most improved. They may well be, but there's this problem. It's call USABILITY for the ***masses***. While the inventor gets "IT", you better be sure the USER does. If you want to call it functionality for idiots, go ahead. SOME TIMES, you gotta' back up and bring that puppy back home. Revise, restructure or do whatever you have to do, and THEN reintroduce it when it really IS ***easier*** and more improved instead of a hot mess for the majority. Can you say, "Korean Instructions translated to English" (Dear God, please don't anyone take offense to that... it really is a good example.)

In short, I think RT may wish to consider ***seriously*** contemplating the negative feedback and perhaps you will come to the conclusion you may have a misfire. We, the ***AVERAGE end users*** are not happy with Gantry 5. Maybe an elite few, but that's not your bread and butter and we aren't here to learn code. Try as you may, the majority of your users don't want to know any more than they have to. There ARE more important things than a template to deal with in life. PRESSING things! We shouldn't need CLE on a monthly basis to accomplish that.

We are here to get a functional template up and running. If WE, after YEARS of experience with you, can't fathom this complex beast you created, what in the heck do you think we are going to do with our clients? How many novice users do you think will STICK with it now? If you don't know the answer, I can give you some insight. The honest answer is, you are going to lose business, many members and a good deal of referrals if seasoned developers are having trouble with it.

It would be one thing if Gantry 5 offered us everything we had in Gantry 4 ***out of the box*** but it didn't. And that PageBuilder, while it's cool, was invented a couple years ago by a competitor. We HAD ONE in Gantry 4 that was BETTER. You've mixed, matched, moved around and pieced together what ONCE was a great (and logical) framework for the ***AVERAGE end user*** and this monster has become so complex it will, in FACT, require a seasoned developer(/designer/whatever you want to call yourself) to get it up, running, funtioning and customized ***properly***! If you are worried about being "proprietary**** be my guest. You got it, I don't want it, and you won't have to worry about me.

Now then, if your desire is to hit only the Developer/Designer market, state it. If not, realize you are no longer catering to or respecting the people who, like I did, come here to grab a professional looking template for their site, install and go. You are the team we pay to meet OUR needs. And yes, it's a team effort. But you have an obligation to keep your expectations focused on the consumers. US.... the club members.... WE are the consumers. Do we get a say in what we are paying for? At least a little smidgen? I think we are being overlooked and you are not hearing us.

While RT is a great place to learn, the professed theory of RT from the start was to make it easy for the ***AVERAGE end user*** and it's gone way beyond that realm now. When I found Joomla, I remember what it was like to grasp the languages, theory, and interelated systems. I came here to avoid having to build a template from scratch for Joomla (which didn't go well in the first year). I found an entire team of professionals who have helped nurse me, guide me and lead me to the vast knowledge base I have today. You made me WANT to learn more. But not all your users have the deep seeded desire to know the HOW. They just want to USE.

The ***BEST thing*** RT did for me beyond all else was deliver peace of mind in knowing I didn't have to reinvent the wheel to get a polished site up and running in minutes.... not hours.... not days... not weeks... MINUTES. I've made money on RT because my clients could USE IT.... and here we go again *** OUT...OF...THE...BOX*** I don't EVEN want to think of trying to train an inexperienced admin on Gantry 5. OMG! The thought is worse than a paper cut to the eyeball!

Your new invention is failing miserably based simply on ease of use and you've created something that even confuses your staff. Point blank, this is the most illogical step I've seen you ever take and I am quickly tiring of the lack of logic in this new framework. I can only imagine some very creepy scenarios if I keep it coupled with Joomla for any length of time on a busy multi-user site. I have truly had one or two (for real) nightmares during this process. If required, I could write a small book on the hows and whys this is a monster for end users and developers alike. Consider this my first of many installments until the dust settles or you at least LEARN TO BLOG!

I say, take that poor sick baby back to the hospital, perform the necessary surgeries, and keep Gantry 5 on the drawing board until it is more ***AVERAGE*** user friendly. Focus on what WORKED (Gantry 4). As to me, all I can see is spending all my time learning MORE language and codes than necessary. Then there's the teaching, administering to, commiserating and otherwise pulling my hair out with clients over any Gantry 5 template at this point.

You've seen an outpouring of posts in many of the forums, you've seen the grief, you've seen others ATTEMPTING to overcome the shortcomings of this release. Need I say it? "You broke a perfectly good wheel, Daddy."

I want Gantry 4 for now and I'd like to see the team "I" rely on focus on keeping Gantry 4 and giving us the quality along with ease of use we are accustomed to.
      I SAY WITH ALL SINCERITY, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

I WOULD LIKE CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT ON GANTRY 4
      UP TO AND UNTIL GANTRY 5 IS FULLY PREPPED
      FOR PRIME TIME
      AND
      MEETS THE NEEDS OF
      THE AVERAGE END USER.
      REMEMBER K.I.S.S.?

Those who agree, feel free to chime in any time here.

and one last thing.... learn to BLOG to your paid members. We deserve at least that much. Self-imposed or not, you've set a standard of service meeting deadlines with very little exception. If you expect us to accept a lower standard, what are YOU going to give up? We all know the calendar and what day of the week it is. Businesses are expected to operate within reasonable hours, global or not. Friday or Monday... doesn't make a difference on a release date. Friday is better anyway. We have time to practice over the weekend. Holidays. We get it. Vacations coming up? Sounds like scheduling, organization... those are merely a matter of planning and are required of any business. So adapt and get back on schedule. And if you can't make a deadline, don't hide in the corner.....

BLOG when you KNOW you are falling short of said "self-imposed" deadlines. Not a post in a forum which may or may not be noticed. BLOG! BLOG! Do you hear me? .... and once more for good measure..... YOU HAVE JOOMLA! soooooooooo............

BLOG damnit! <---- Now THAT was an emotional remark and I stand by it.

Thank you all, and have a grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 day! I'm outta' here to go play today. For the first time in years, RT wore me out! TGIF! ;)

The preceeding information was provided as is, with no warranties, express or implied, based upon 4+ decades in corporate America and the following statement expressed by members of SHARK TANK weekly: If you need an infomercial, your product isn't ready for prime time.

Well said. I'm not a fan of Gantry 5. I see the potential, just not on the current timeline...

I don't like the interface. I think it makes Gantry 5 look more complicated than it actually is. It looks bland and flat and overrides the familiar but clean sleek look of Joomla 3.

I don't like the lack of mobile support. I could never present a website to an "average joe client" with an incompatable smartphone. Guess that's down to the new coding used on the framework. In time this should sort itself out, maybe in about 5 years or so, as long as RT make Gantry 6 support today's mobiles.

I see the point of particles but are they really neccessary? They are confusing. We get along just fine without them in Gantry 4. I prefer the standard module positions. With Gantry 4 you can uninstall a template and install a new one and have it looking great after tweaking the settings. You can instruct a client how to do this but with Gantry 5 it's just not ideal. Rant over. If I am mistaken about any of this please do correct me. ;)
    • radek
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

• RedRum wrote:
      Interested to know what you people tell your Gantry 5 customers when they realize their brand new website doesn't work on their older smartphone.

I have a problem with viewing on Windows 10 on my tablet. It does not work very well. G4 works good.
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• I have a win 10 tablet too and no issues ... for me Gantry5 works awesome on all relevant browsers.
      I suggest to create a post in the suppoer forum if you have an issue.

www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-march-2...ng-system-surprises/

Don't forget: The default browser on old androids won't get fixes anymore. It's insecure and buggy. You need to use Chrome.
      Safari 5 win is dead. Safari 6 is old now. Safari latest is 9.

More or less you should follow google guidlines for supported browsers.

support.google.com/mail/answer/6557?hl=en

• Henning wrote:
      I have a win 10 tablet too and no issues ... for me Gantry5 works awesome on all relevant browsers.
      I suggest to create a post in the suppoer forum if you have an issue.

www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-march-2...ng-system-surprises/

Don't forget: The default browser on old androids won't get fixes anymore. It's insecure and buggy. You need to use Chrome.
      Safari 5 win is dead. Safari 6 is old now. Safari latest is 9.

More or less you should follow google guidlines for supported browsers.

support.google.com/mail/answer/6557?hl=en

"I have a win 10 tablet too and no issues ..."
      The Gantry 5 templates display ok, with the exception of an annoying blink when scrolling down the page, on my Windows Phone but the Menu still staggers when you open it. I raised the issue when Gantry 5 was released but it appears to never have been fixed. You have to double tap to close the menu.

"You need to use Chrome."
      Can't use Chrome on older android phones, Gingerbread etc.

"More or less you should follow google guidlines for supported browsers."
      Or just stick with Gantry 4 and you should be fine.

• Come on guys, are you trying to be great webmasters using an old obsolete phone and browser?
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web
    • Tyndie
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• The last gingerbread release was in 2011, its not surprising there are quirks.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds