Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

• Re: Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • Gantry updated a couple of days ago and I've been all over the docs trying to learn the new jargon and structure. It's getting easier as I go. Today I started scoping out Grav. The skeletons and themes look promising and I'm also enjoying following the progress of both on Github. Exciting days ahead! But then, aren't they always around here?

I guess I'll tinker with the above until a new theme appears and then I'll tinker some more.

Have a great week end everyone!
    • VRY6
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

• The Feb one is up Hmm! " Galatea "
      VRY6
    • Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by VRY6.
    • yaani
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Awesome, it looks perfect for my next project!

Thanks Team RT! :)
    • WK
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Guys, maybe I have another point of view. We disagree then, but I'm not a (arrogant) webdeveloper but a consumer/user. I believe that if it becomes too easy (with all cheap templates availeble everywhere on the www), it will al become the same and most of developers loose their job.
      It's not said to be arrogant, I think it is just normal. I drive the car yes, but I don't do the maintenance. People need an easy website, yes, I do also, but they can't do the major adjustments? That is when they need a good developer I believe. You can see the difference in websites where it is done by themselves and where it is done by professionals.
      In dutch we say: They want to sit front-row for a penny (and that isnt possible). :D

• I apologize for the "arrogant" remark. I thought you were a developer. Please allow me to explain my perspective.

A client comes to me and asks me to build a website. I ask them to fill out 4 forms. These forms have 72 questions and must be complete before I'll have a serious consult. Those forms narrow things down (for them) so we can decide what they need, what they "think" they want and what their skillset is. It also helps me determine their expectations, and more importantly, who is really going to manage the site and precisely how much training will be involved for the site admin before the site goes online. THAT is the person I deal with exclusively. If there are others involved, the Admin can deal with them until decisions are made and passed to me.

Whatever you call yourself (developer, designer, customizer), pros rarely do things solo. Here's the distinction. Developers write the code. Designers have tested and learned the majority of that code as it pertains to presentation and display. We've spent years learning all this. Some of us longer than others. Doesn't matter, because with each new upgrade comes a new learning curve, so there are no experts and we are ALL always learning. I make sure my clients know this because there WILL be glitches during development.

A clients wants everything yesterday and never WANTS to learn any more than they are forced to. We have to actually sell them on that "need to know" factor! LOL

Pros know what is out there and help others decide what is best for them. The point is, for every system we use, we have a team behind us in the vendors. For every CMS system and/or extension we use, our "team" is the vendor. THEY have provided extensive documentation and instructions on their products. Thus, those vendors are now our design partners.

Dependent upon the CMS selected, I include in MY package a core set of extensions for security, performance and maintenance I won't build without. If applicable, my price will include the cost of any products used WITH documentation and support from each vendor in the client's name for a minimum of 2 years. I also include a demo site with examples of each extension, where they came from and where to go for help and a detailed resource system for ongoing support and learning.

On top of that, I have included a minimum amount of time unique to each client according to their abilities. That time includes training on the CMS, the template, extensions, site maintenance and how to create pages. That's my recipe.

The point is, in the digital world, when you sell a site, you don't get to hide your "secret" ingredient. The code must be transparent for the end user. So in this sense, you MUST, by law, give away all your secrets. The only thing is, most people don't know what to do with those secrets once they see them.

You CAN make a beautiful and professional looking site on your own. If you are just starting out, it won't happen in a day because you've got that learning curve to deal with.

People want instant gratification..... but there's still a learning curve for any person serious about a good quality website. It's not a "git 'er done and forget about it" proposition.

Our knowledge is what WE get paid for. You may just know that one piece of code in a million that others haven't picked up on yet or you might be the one to spot one semi-colon out of place that blew up a site. If you're good, you WANT to give away your secrets. It saves tons of time and long, harrowing phone calls over things already asked and answered.

Again, I humbly apologize for that remark. It was most insensitive and I'm not usually such a presumptuous jerk.
    • The following users have thanked you: WK

• WK
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Hi Empowermom: I don't feel it as a problem if you think that it was arrogant, no problem at all. You don't need to apologize! Come on ;). You have made a great way to work with your clients and that is fine by me, there are more ways that can lead us to Rome :D

I believe we think the same about a lot of things. I did't give myself a name, but I believe customizer is a nice one haha.
      Keep up the good work! (Y)
    • The following users have thanked you: Empowermom

• I am a dream weaver. You never know what your client will dream up., You believe you can make it happen. As soon as you do, the dream changes.

I am a professional and perpetual student who is only as good as the next upgrade. I just happen to be a darn good student with a passion for my craft. Ultimately, that's what the client is paying for.

• Im sorry to have a different opinion as those expressed in the forums. I also tend to wait with expectation the release of each new template but honestly, I just get one deception after another.

Yes, I understand the gantry 5 and all those developments going on behind but I find most of the new templates to be barely the same. I can almost tell that March template will feature a slightly different menu, a big nice picture in the Showcase, a few more modules on different possitions as you scroll down the page and nothing more, whats the point on that?

In the old days you could see templates that where useful for some kind of web (hotel, newspaper, restaurant, sports magazine, gaming or whatever) and you could use your creativity to adapt the design to something you need. Lately I feel all new releases are so general they are not really useful for any kind of web. I find its just the same stuff messed around.

Sorry for the bad opinion, its not that I want to complain about it but just wanted to let you know what some of your users feel.

Keep it up!
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

• TopProSoccer wrote:
      Im sorry to have a different opinion as those expressed in the forums. I also tend to wait with expectation the release of each new template but honestly, I just get one deception after another.

...but this month's template uses the owl carousel javascript! :)

• TopProSoccer wrote:
      Im sorry to have a different opinion as those expressed in the forums. I also tend to wait with expectation the release of each new template but honestly, I just get one deception after another.

Yes, I understand the gantry 5 and all those developments going on behind but I find most of the new templates to be barely the same. I can almost tell that March template will feature a slightly different menu, a big nice picture in the Showcase, a few more modules on different possitions as you scroll down the page and nothing more, whats the point on that?

In the old days you could see templates that where useful for some kind of web (hotel, newspaper, restaurant, sports magazine, gaming or whatever) and you could use your creativity to adapt the design to something you need. Lately I feel all new releases are so general they are not really useful for any kind of web. I find its just the same stuff messed around.

Sorry for the bad opinion, its not that I want to complain about it but just wanted to let you know what some of your users feel.

Keep it up!

I have to agree. :(
    • The following users have thanked you: VRY6

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds