Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • Hey Guys,

Think about things realistically. This is a business and when businesses develop things and become good at what they do, others want to copy that or create their own...this breeds competition. In competition, it's not always the best idea to give your competitors notes and logs of how things are progressing. That might be the reason that RT develops and then releases things when those things are ready and doesn't announce to the world what they are working on and log notes all the way through.

As for Joomla 1.6, it sounds like most of you with concerns have not bothered at all to read through Andy's blog post and have not really seen anything past the "Stable" stamp that was put on the 1.6 release...remember that stamp has no governing body or regulations to abide by, it's simple the Joomla development team saying it's ready in their opinion.

Many developers of extensions for Joomla 1.6 have found many many many issues that cause one to question whether there really should be a "Stable" stamp on this release. One of those things is the installer. The intention isn't to totally rewrite and take over the process, but simply to fix what's broken and not working in what was released.

With no patience and the community in a rush to have everything right away, things have to be done to accommodate this. One of those things is fixing bugs in the "Stable" release so that the system can operate properly, then developing for the system itself.

Yes, other things have been released already, but take a look at what things they are and what they accomplish and you might find that depending on what the extension offers, bugs in the "Stable" release may affect the development in a positive or negative way. Is it a template, is it a template framework, are there other options in the template framework, is it a photo slideshow, is it a complete forms components, etc. All of these have different requirements and will have different development processes.

Take a step back and if you completely understand the code and how it works and what the hang ups are, then help to contribute fixes. But, if you just saw the "Stable" stamp, try to be a little bit objective here and ask yourself what it means when RocketTheme has to help the installer process to get things to work.

There is no development team out there with more people putting in more hours for more templates and extensions.
    • Conan
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Omegatcu wrote:
      i don't see the point of your questions...
      Then you are blind.

There is no shortage of RT fanboys with "Love it or leave it" responses just waiting for someone to speak out on these forums so they can wave the flag and prove their love/loyalty.

I too appreciate RT and the work they do, but I believe my questions and concerns are valid. I just wonder how much better their products would be if they didn't make branding such a priority. I have been a member for years and the trend seems to be more and more heavily RT branded products that make it very difficult for developers, like myself, to "hide" the usage of a paid-for template.

The fact is I could develop my own template for each job I do but it is a matter of time and cost to the client. Myself ad MANY other RT subscribers DO NOT want such heavily branded templates. (And please, do not tell me to just turn of the copyright section in Gantry... UGH!)

Maybe someone who does see the point of my questions can take a minute to answer them. But Omega, you will find that there won't be any "official" response. To which I say, "Silence speaks volumes".
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• Just out of curiosity ... what do you mean by "such heavily branded templates"?
      I have an idea what you mean, but would be nice if you explain that to me ...
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hey Conan,

What branding are you talking about that you can't find? It's all fairly simple to find and change.

If you're talking about copyright lines, well, those are supposed to be there and if you really want your own product with your name as the copyright, then you really should write your own templates instead. It's also against the TOS to remove the copyright so there's no reason to make that easy.

You haven't stated any actual issues in your post. The gantry framework does a heck of a lot more than what Joomla can handle on it's own, so yeah, there's some added stuff.

What are you seeing that Joomla can already do and Gantry is just making it difficult? Gantry makes things easier and doesn't change any core Joomla code to accomplish what it does.
    • NZD - Jonathan
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • CEO, NZD Securities

• I'm just fine to have the copyright on the bottom. And modifying the template by renaming the folder to default or similar. And erase the styles i don't use. Then of removing the copyright in the files is no worry. So long it doesn't show on my footer bottom ;) And that's why there is a turn-off in the Gantry options.
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• NZD - Jonathan
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • CEO, NZD Securities

• There where an seller before on Envato that reselling the RT templates.
      I reported it to envato and they got his account suspended.
    • Conan
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Ben and Henning,

You guys are great. Countless times I have been helped by reading your tips and solutions. It is VERY hard to be critical. I will go back and read more about Gantry.

Hah! - Ben, I just took a look at a few of my posts that you decided to re-post here. Another trend that I noticed... Someone speaks up and a Mod goes poking through the user's history in an attempt to marginalize them. VERY CREEPY, and passive aggressive I might add. I can tell you guys are forbidden from getting heated with users... so this is what you do now?

I am not trying to rebrand at all. Unbranding as an option would be awesome!

How about this? Right at the top of the main Gantry template features there is a fancy little slider that says "Do you want your client and/or visitors to know that this is a RT template" YES > NO

I remember back, there was a discussion about releasing two versions of the templates. One with RT branding and one without. Which version do you think would have a higher download count? No contest, in my opinion. So knowing that, why does RT force us to "unbrand" rather than giving us what we want?

I have work to do...

If it doesn't violate the TOS could you please refrain from creeping around my old posts and pointing me to kindergarten tutorials about adding module positions and changing colors. Thanks.

(I have learned my lesson. I will sit back in my seat now and keep quiet now.)
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Still Conan, no mention of what branding you are talking about. I can't help you if you don't tell me what is wrong.

There is a switch in gantry and a branding file in the features directory.

What else are you trying to change?
  • Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Ben Lee wrote:
      Many developers of extensions for Joomla 1.6 have found many many many issues that cause one to question whether there really should be a "Stable" stamp on this release. One of those things is the installer. The intention isn't to totally rewrite and take over the process, but simply to fix what's broken and not working in what was released.

Ben -

Actually, on Twitter today, Andrew Eddie, the lead developer on 1.6, tweeted today "That's why is #Joomla16 GA and not "stable" :) "

Sounds like 1.7 is expected in July. The project has already stated that 1.6, a release they were formerly saying would have long term support project, now has a shelf-life of nine months. Now, they are saying 1.7 is what they will back long term.

If you use it with paid engagements, make certain your customer understands and signs off on the fact that the project has not deemed 1.6 a stable release.

Sorry for the negative tone. I am very much supportive of Joomla!. Those are just things I have heard that are probably good to know.
    • ~*~ OpenSourceCommunity.org ~*~

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds