Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • hey guys. will my entitlements still be valid when i update my sites to 1.6
    • prim
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Andre Strauss wrote:
      hey guys. will my entitlements still be valid when i update my sites to 1.6

Yes :)
    • Please reply with a direct link to the issue & create a new thread for each new issue.

A template is only as good as the content that goes into it ;) - DanG
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• I have no idea what Conan means with "heavy branding", but with the announcement and evolution of Gantry, I find it more and more harder to modify the templates. It is getting even harder for me to use the templates with certain extensions, as the templates for me appear to be made to fit the "demo design" and nothing more. It is really hard now to modify it in a way that it doesn't looks like the demo... :)

Even I renewed my subscription recently, I haven't used any RT template and don't see using one in the near future :(
      While I like the designs, the framework is kind of too hard to learn and certain basic things that should be easy are so complicated (i.e. adding the search to a desired place often creates a mess in the outlook) that I prefer to use other templates.

Regarding 1.6 and everyone's pushes for templates... I would even not consider using it for a serious site till the summer. It is really broken a lot.
    • Ivo Apostolov
      ипотпал
      Ivo Apostolov
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• Being not a great coder myself I feel that it is exactly the other way around for me.
      For me everything got easier. It makes complicated stuff/joomla procedures very easy to achieve.
      Just some examples: Module chrome/positions, page suffixes, browser specific css, inheriting template settings, per menu settings, individual layouts for menu items, adding css/jscripts, features-system ...

All this is kinda hard for a noncoder to get into a template without Gantry. Gantry makes it all accessible for me ...

• I agree with Henning, I feel that Gantry gets us much closer to a drag and drop/expand interface which is really where we should be headed. On top of this I'm also a coder who's had to do a lot of tweaking on templates. I've found that once I get the element into the general area, i can use CSS rules to tweak it's appearance and position.

Personally I feel that if I need fine control - it's at my fingertips. If I just want ease of use, Gantry get's me 99% of the way there. Ivo, I'd suggest you take an hour or two and just play with the Layouts section with different modules enabled just to see how they move and break. Throwing in a CSS rule like an align Right or Left will often fix my issues. You can even look at their CSS and make your new rules module suffixes.

• I will give you an example, that I setup for 5 minutes:
      bulgarienreisen.biz/ - see the search? Move to a position top-f and it becomes scary. This is basics. So many things are locked and predefined with the demo, that it is very time consuming to move something in a places different than the demo.
      And top-f should be the position on the most right, but it isn't...

But this is getting offtopic and has nothing to do with 1.6. With 6 months life, if I was Rockettheme, I will even consider making the templates compatible with it at all. :)
    • Ivo Apostolov
      ипотпал
      Ivo Apostolov
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• hmm actually that has nothing to do with Gantry itself.
      Some of the styling-stuff for modules is menu-position specific to get certain effects – no doubt about it.
      As always Firebug (or in my case CSSEdit) is your friend.
      CSS is quite organized and easy to handle imho.
      I guess you think the search is too big for you in that position? I can think of a smaller design for that position too.
      I'll add a ticket for the devs later. (heh Ivo, yes that is offtopic too ... :oops: )

• It looks like you need to force a certain number of positions in that area. Open the Advanced section and force there to be more than one position in the Top area. This will cause the module not to expand across the whole template and become smaller.
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• well yes, but it's still quite big (high) even in 10/3 setup for example

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds