Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • G'day Rich,

You're running rings around me with your knowledge of Nooku, issues in the Joomla dev team and the timeframe pathway for Joomla. At this stage, I won't be rushing anything... looks like 1.8 is the goal, but I will still keep playing with the new system... as I get older I notice I'm developing a resistance to new things :roll: , so can't let myself be left behind.

As you know, I have been very keen to check out the JUG, but alas, life as I knew it was unexpectedly and suddenly turned inside out and upside down a few months back. Will send you a PM when I can, looking forward to coming along ASAP.
    • Lawn Mowing Perth | Lawn Care Tips
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Steve,

No insider knowledge here mate...just trying to watch things with a business perspective. And as a Yank, that means taking things with a "what if" approach. So just trying to see possible scenarios. (Note: Also Limited Nooku knowledge other than the "buzz" around it and I have it on my todo list do d/l and test the stripped down Joomla).

My business depends heavily on Joomla and it's continued success so I am trying to look at things objectively and not fall into the "I want it now" trap.

PM me your email and I'll send you the minutes from the last meeting.

Cheers,

R
    • Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Rich Bean.
    • My Sites:
      Perth Website Design
      Scuba Marketing
      I'm a Henning Stalker!

• Well, as i said earlier, the killer feature of 1.6 for me is the new ACL System. And that's that i need most, since i need to build a big member section with all kinds of different access to different sections and so on. There's no single "good" ACL addon for 1.5 which works with the RT Templates.....

• Quick question:
      Are you guys waiting for Joomla 1.6.1 to release your 1.6 stuff?

I'm getting a little antsy for a Maelstrom 1.6 release :-).

• Hi
      I have been using joomla for the last 1 year and recently taken rockettheme membership. No doubt, I am really satisfied to be a member of this amazing community !

The development stage of joomla is really confusing as of now. Joomla 1.6 is out with a lot of variations in code in comparison to joomla 1.5. Some people say that work on joomla 1.8 is already on the go. There are talkings that joomla 1.5 will nearly come to an end around the mid of 2012.

Considering the above points, is it sensible to start a fresh new website on joomla 1.5 even when joomla 1.6 is there. I mean starting a new website which need a big upgradation within an year sounds really weird.

The reason I am asking this question is that upgrading from joomla 1.5 to joomla 1.6 does not appear to be a stable process at all.

Please put light on whether one should use 1.6 or 1.5 for a fresh new website (keeping the idea of extensions apart).

One more query, can I expect any joomla 1.6 campatible RT template in next 2 or 3 months. I know you people would have got tired of giving replies to this question,still it would really help me to come up with a decision.

• Just wanted to post some things here ourselves.

We have been fairly quite in forums. We have been members since the beginning of RT and have to say we have been down alot of roads. That being said we do have to agree with alot of the so called negative comments, as well as the dev's comments.

Many of us have framed our own businesses around RT's designs. They have become our design houses in which they did alot of the leg work to get us something we could work with and make even more custom looking without so much customizing.

This is where we think alot of the negative comments are coming from and here is where we agree. If RT is going to make themselves the end-all be-all template company they have to be involved more with the products they are templating. i.e. why wasnt there production started with J1.6a. If there was, why didnt any of us developers get a chance to help debug/play with it?

When RT promises something within a week and we do not see it up to 3 weeks later, that's another problem. When customers that pay for a service question that service it should be handled as such and not so childish, we would dare one of these so called moderators or flag jumpers to fly their loyalty flag over us. We will put our membership timeframe up against anyone in here, so lets keep it friendly when someone disagrees.

Now plenty of times over our 6+ years of membership we have had to wait for things that should've been delivered, but they didnt come and hey we have had to work around it. This is where we agree with the DEV's. If there are problems then speak up. Tell us what is going on. Many of us want to stay on bleeding edge with Joomla. Heck we have been using this product since it was Mambo anyway. We have seen it come from nothing to the most popular CMS' in the world. That in itself has helped grow RT from a 3 template company to what it is today. Alot of you wouldnt even know that. So when a developer tells you that its not ready they are just protecting themselves and their business from alot of us bleeders. They are building products for the masses not so much for the advanced or wanting to try it guys.

So long story short, we read this entire forum and we find the following needs to occur for us all;

1. RT - Communicate more clearly your timelines/expectations to your customers, by either discussing something in a blog that is updated more frequently than 1 month or by a dedicated locked public read forum where you guys can just post something to us.

2. Dev's - Dont always assume the people out here dont understand the hard work that is involved. Elite status will only create isolation, and you guys need to stay in touch with your base.

3. End-Users - Have some patience. RT isnt perfect. They do have growing pains just like everyone else. The majority of the company is ran from people sitting in their homes. They have a fluid schedule and timezones are always something that is changing. When we think of a day to deliver something for RT that day can be 36 Hours long.

4. Mods - Sarcasim has gotten thick in alot of the posts against nay-sayers. Be a little less defensive when you see all of the RT loyalists attacking someone as well. Your job is to stop all sides from banter and keep it PC.

Other than that this post is something we usually dont do, but after reading this thread we felt it had to be said. Again, we have been RT members since the company started so please inform us if we are over stepping our bounds here!
    • AnyTimeCoMM, LLc.
      Sales Office: 512/335-2300
      Tech Support: 512/522-5022
      sales at anytimecomm.com
      www.anytimecomm.com

• JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• With +/- 100 J1.6 posts / inquiries... (search is your friend!)

1. Andy did a pretty good job summing it up here:

www.rockettheme.com/blog/joomla/988-shou...upgrade-to-joomla-16

2. If you are a DEV, then you probably understand. But not all users are DEVs, they just expect a compatible theme for the new version or a RL install they can go with. 'RC1 came out yesterday, why isn't a J1.6 version ready?' is what we get more often than not.

3. Totally agree... The team (developers) work 7 days a week and the moderators all help with testing towards the testing of a new release (100s of hours of testing). But that is for the release of a template for the current platform, not a new one. J1.5 & J1.6 are 'apples and oranges’; it's not a simple matter of quickly converting the template from one platform to another. (The same was true for the J1.0 to J1.5 conversions, it took a lot of time [yes, members had to wait], but with proper development and testing, the conversions went off pretty well, along with support for each.) No matter how thoroughly tested a template is by the devs and the moderators, some stuff slips through, so different versions of the templates are released, and you need to update to 'work out the bugs'.

Realistically, do you want a version of a template (or templates) that is (are) ‘half-baked’ (just because you want it now, and RT feels it has to produce them) and will require you to upgrade from VJ1.6.0 to VJ1.6.1, VJ1.6.2, VJ1.6.3, etc., and go through all the headaches of updating your site or all your sites? Or would you rather wait until RT has a stable version of J1.6 for each template? [A two month ‘upgrading hell’ vs. a two month wait for a stable release…]

4. We are not trying to be defensive, or sarcastic… Just consider… if a template is released on (on whatever platform) and it’s not ‘quite ready’ (despite testing) it spikes queries on how to get it fixed… (see above and multiply for all the templates that need to be updated / released).This totally messes up the support system… While we are all trying to ‘squash bugs’ many many legitimate posts would go unanswered…

RT prides itself in releasing prefect (or near perfect 8) ) templates. Trust RT and be a bit patient.

{{ A little of topic but my current ‘real job’ besides doing some web design and DTP is translating and proof reading for a genetic research company in Japan. We often have to submit abstracts translated from J to E for foreign conferences by a certain deadline. ‘Dr.A’ submits his abstract six weeks before the deadlines, but it takes eight revisions to get it right. ‘Dr. B’ submits his 5 days before the deadline (crunch time), but it takes only one revision. While I am grateful Dr. A submitted his early so we had plenty of time to work on it, it’s a bit aggravating to have to re translate the same document eight times… on the other hand, while I would have liked to have Dr. B’s a bit sooner, all in all it took only one revision to get it right…}}
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • themouse
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• so without all the flim-flam or sandbaging ? is anybody actually willing to give an update to the timeline on the first 1.6 RT theme & extensions ? I,m begining to think im in a room full of politicians ;) hours, days, weeks or months ?? come on spill the beans ;)

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds