Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • That's the CSS styling. They're using an image to style the Search Box. By modifying the image and the CSS you can resize it from there. The width is solved by forced positions
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

• george, please ... I know how to do that ... I'm a mod ;-) I work for RT ...

• Well, that is what I mean - something simple and quite obvious simply doesn't works with Gantry and this is very annoying.
      While still in offtopic - when I put something to top-f, I expect it be on top-f and not top-a...

Whatever, these simple things makes me choose other solutions than Rockettheme. I don't want to spend my time in fixing framework bugs (or features that I don't like/understand).

Now, I know the mods will call that "endless possibilities", which is basically truth. But it is also very annoying and time consuming for simple things - which I hate in Gantry!!!
    • Ivo Apostolov
      ипотпал
      Ivo Apostolov

• Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Here's another one that I think (IMO) hits the nail on the head:

From a business aspect Jen has kindly laid out the dev path very clearly and how it impacts her.

Here's an excerpt:
      First of all, Joomla's leadership has made an announcement concerning the roadmap to Joomla 1.7 and 1.8, as well as support of Joomla 1.5. All companies relying on Joomla for their websites need to read this very important post. This deeply impacts your business.

In summary, here are the facts from that post:

* Based on the roadmap, Joomla 1.6 will be in active development through July 2011.
      * Joomla 1.7 is due out in July 2011. It will be in active development through January 2012.
      * "Joomla 1.8" (not the official name), the next long term stable release, is due in January 2012. That will be supported for a longer period of time than 1.6 or 1.7 -- at least for 15 months.
      * Joomla 1.5 is supported through April 2012, when it reaches end of life.
      * A migration utility will be available to move sites from Joomla 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 to "Joomla 1.8".
      ...Otherwise, we are building sites in 1.5 until "1.8" is available.

Furthermore, we do not recommend upgrading any existing Joomla 1.5 site to 1.6 or 1.7, unless there is a very compelling reason to do so. Once "Joomla 1.8" is released, and extensions and templates have a chance to catch up, we will be talking with clients about migrating their sites at that time.

Source: www.joomla4web.com/blog/new-post.html
    • My Sites:
      Perth Website Design
      Scuba Marketing
      I'm a Henning Stalker!
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• The choice to use Joomla 1.6 is ultimately yours. RocketTheme however is aggressively working to get our templates, frameworks, and extensions ready for 1.6 and future Joomla releases. It certainly is an interesting topic :)
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• True. I picked up on this thread when it first started and didn't find much in it, but it's quickly changed to serve some great information for everyone.

I read that post Rich, I reckon the boss is notoriously secretive about any opinions or sharing knowledge about any platforms, obviously his words would carry significant weight, especially in the J! community.... good luck getting those sage insights :D

I came to J! at 1.5, and could never understand all the people who never wanted to switch from 1.0, but alas I too will eventually be forced to make that same change and adapt to the progression.

But for the moment, I'm comfortable and pretty fast with what I'm using, so I'm in no rush to consider it an important issue. I've checked the few main extensions I use, and they are all 1.6 compatible already, so when the migration script appears, there's no reason for me not to switch... but I still won't be in any rush.

1.6 is new, it requires a little bit of a learning curve, (I still hate the deviation from Sections :evil: ).. but I've enjoyed playing around with it so far, and when the new RT stuff is ready, I'll no doubt get stuck into exploring the system further. But for a site that needs to be built with haste, it'll be 1.5, and leave the 1.6 stuff for hobby / curiosity.

And when the time finally comes to make the full switch to 1.6 / 1.7 / 1.8 - it'll be a walk in the park :D

I really don't understand what the whole rush is - most people aren't ready to switch anyway, so while the early 1.6 templates will have great curiosity value for most, they'll no doubt have a slow take-up for live sites for the time being.

I'm happy to wait.

I'd rather install my template, plugins, components and modules once and know they will work reliably, than have to re-install updates every few weeks and bang my head up against the wall try to work out why my sites are stuffing up so badly.

So I'm cool to wait, I'd rather be confident in the products I'm using and know that they will work correctly when they are released.
    • Lawn Mowing Perth | Lawn Care Tips
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hey Steve...

Cheers mate, yeah I doubt Andy would take a controversial stand...for the reason you mentioned and not a good business decision either.

Many of the sites I do are dependent upon a couple key extensions which aren't 1.6 compat...

As such, I'm pretty happy to wait all the way until 1.8 and see how all this stuff comes out in the wash.

My big concern is the 1.6-1.7 timeframe with roll outs of versions. This is a new way for the J development team to work so I'm not so sure even they have all of their processes worked out.

On a side note, some cool things seem to be on the horizon with the Perth JUG! :mrgreen:
    • My Sites:
      Perth Website Design
      Scuba Marketing
      I'm a Henning Stalker!

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds