Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 1.6 Availability

• Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • It has already been said that RT has done a lot of customizations for J1.5 and converting to J1.6 is not that easy a task...That's understandable...
      It's good also that RT wants to release a finished product instead of jumping the gun, just for the sake of it or for temporary popularity...

On the other hand, J1.6 was expected for a long time, it has some very well advertised and useful features that facilitate planning a site and working with it, especially now that Joomla has become so popular, meaning that users of very differing levels of expertise will be building websites with it...

To my mind RT should have foreseen this spike in interest in Joomla 1.6 and should have taken some earlier steps that would have enabled it to start releasing J1.6 compatible templates at least the second month of J1.6's release...
      If a client has to be very optimistic to expect a J1.6 compatible release of his/her chosen templates within the first 5-6 months of 2011, then that could be a sign of bad planning and execution from the RT camp.

Right now I just hope that this process will be moving fast
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Tyndie
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Joomla 1.6 Availability

• I,m begining to think im in a room full of politicians ;) hours, days, weeks or months ?? come on spill the beans ;)

Surely a room of politicans would recommend staying on the stable path for now, and wait for such a point when 1.6 has matured throughout the community, and the various development project vendors in the joomla community?

• been using RT for years and I'm always happy with service. I can see why it takes so long to develop for 1.6 - no one wants to see bad products because of haste. DTH has a bad problem with putting out code before it is ready - trust me, it's better to wait.

With that being said I guess I'll jump on the "this should have been started earlier" bandwagon. RT is at the forefront of the Joomla template business and therefore I expect more from RT than from other developers. You have earned this reputation and should protect it. It's ok to wait for a 1.6 donation component or 1.6 slideshow plugin, but I think we all expected some 1.6 RT themes by now. Tough to make a new Joomla site without a template.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work.
    • Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

• I'm not sure when RT should have committed resources to prepare for 1.6.
      They, and most developers, don't work on Betas, as they are subject to change.

1.6 RC1 was out for how long? 10 minutes?

So, those saying it should have been done already just is not seeing the development cycle. Joomla released 1.6 a bit early. I'm sure that if the Joomla team had allowed at least an extra month after RC1 then more extensions and templates might have been ready.

RC1 came out Dec 14, 1.6 comes out Jan 10. In between we have a lot of holiday breaks.

When? When should all this extra work have been done? Then add in the factor of a changed Road Map for Joomla, going to 1.7 in a few months.

RT, please just work on quality and don't feel rushed. Those that want 1.6 today can use another template.
    • Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller

• themouse wrote:
      so without all the flim-flam or sandbaging ? is anybody actually willing to give an update to the timeline on the first 1.6 RT theme & extensions ?

Got such a kick out of that wording, made me laugh! Apparently, flim-flamming and sandbagging are out, but grabbing the crystal ball is okay? ;-)

It's been said by a few developers already - the changes in 1.6 were not only enormous, but those changes continued until the day of release. Many of the developers who started getting ready for Beta 1, ended up finding themselves in a rinse and repeat pattern until the very end. There was no starting early on 1.6.

The project seems to understand that if this approach of massive change made once every three years, combined with no real freeze or willingness to stop changing the API at Beta is used again the results would not be good. It's been very hard. One of the biggest frustrations to devs right now is that there is no documentation - not even automated docblocks. So, we're all reading the source code, folks, and there is a lot to read.

It sounds more and more like 1.7 will be these three things: 1) the separation of the framework, 2) the inclusion of the core update facility that missed 1.6, and 3) the much needed migration that also missed 1.6. We probably won't see a lot of application changes - unless it's bug fixes. The freeze for 1.7 is in 10 weeks and I do believe the project will stick to that freeze this time..

Bear in mind that there continue to be significant problems with 1.6 including some serious URL routing issues - so, please, do not be in a hurry to get there. Most people in the know say 1.6 is beta for 1.7.

Now, after all that doom and gloom, I want to add that there are a lot of improvements in 1.6 -- especially for developers that relate to improvements in integration between Extensions - but, it ain't soup yet, folks. Let is simmer for awhile -- it will be delicious with time.

I'm eager to get my hands on Gantry for 1.6 - if I can help in any way, with testing or late night prayer sessions, don't hesitate to ask. Be glad to help out.
    • Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Amy Stephen.
    • ~*~ OpenSourceCommunity.org ~*~

• :arrowu:

Rushing a release runs the risk of something in the core of Joomla changing. I would rather wait a little longer to see how the current release of Joomla 1.6 goes than push something out that's going to be a glitch on the site. Because of the other mods that I use, I can't switch to 1.6 right now anyways. I am sure I'm not the only one that's in the same boat.

I always believe in quality over quantity, so I will wait for all the mods to catch up, including RT without complaining :cheesy:
    • what? I need a signature? no way!
    • themouse
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Amy Stephen wrote:
      themouse wrote:
      so without all the flim-flam or sandbaging ? is anybody actually willing to give an update to the timeline on the first 1.6 RT theme & extensions ?

Got such a kick out of that wording, made me laugh! Apparently, flim-flamming and sandbagging are out, but grabbing the crystal ball is okay? ;-)

no, I've already got the crystal ball, but it's coming through a bit muddy! :roll:
      Andy Miller Thursday, 23 December wrote:
      1. Convert our 'main' extensions (those used in most of our templates) to Joomla 1.6
      2. Convert Gantry Framework to 1.6
      3. Convert all Joomla templates built on Gantry to 1.6
      4. Convert the rest of our extensions to 1.6
      5. Over time, convert our older pre-Gantry templates to 1.6
      6. Create new extensions to replace aging Joomla 1.0/1.5 extensions

We are currently well on our way with #1 and #2 in that list. We intend on having a 1.6 release of our Gantry framework in time for the 'Final' release of Joomla 1.6 in the middle of January .
      Andy Miller Update 01/13/2011 wrote:
      We're working as fast as we can on providing 1.6 support. The order things will progress in are as follows:

1. Gantry core framework (90% complete)
      2. Gantry core template (90% complete)
      3. "Key" extensions that the majority of our templates make use of (75% complete)
      4. Conversion of Gantry-based templates working backwards from most recent to oldest (requires #1, #2, and #3)
      5. Conversion of older pre-Gantry based templates (requires #3)

Needless to say we have been working hard on 1,2 and 3 and are nearly there . As soon as we have these finished and they have passed our internal testing and quality control inspections, we'll be releasing them. Trust me we are not sitting on our heels here. We just have pushed the boundaries in Joomla 1.5 so converting to 1.6 is not as trivial for us as it may be for others.
      Andy Miller Sat Jan 22 wrote:
      Gantry framework + core gantry template should be available next week. Templates and extensions should follow shortly after that.

Understand this is not a quick 'port' for compatibility, it's a major rewrite and update in many areas. Better not to rush and to do things right :)
      Andy Miller Jan 25, 2011 wrote:
      We're still working on last minute bugs and issues related to Gantry on Joomla 1.6. The installer has proved to be a pretty big problem as this is badly broken in Joomla 1.6 and has necessitated us basically writing our own. We 'hope' to have the Gantry Framework and the base template released this week. We've already started testing some of our 1.6 extensions, so as soon as they have been signed-off one, we'll start releasing those also.

See my crystal ball dryed up on the 25th jan, and now its the 15th of feb
      But I don't realy think its a big ask for an update,
      It's obvius that there have been hic-ups, as there has been no release, I'd just like to be kept in the loop rather than out in the cold. :(
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Really don't have anything that great to report. You can always make progress with easy things, and put off the hardest bits till last. Well that's where we are, on the last few hardest bits. We are close though to getting things released. I was hoping we could make progress today, but of course, when you need it least, other stuff arose. We accidentally broke a portion of the forums, and it took our our super developer Brian most of the day to fix it before it got worse and our things got out of sync. That really set us back today, but tomorrow is a new day, in the meantime everyone else goes about their regular jobs of working on other releases for our other clubs (phpBB3 and WordPress theme released today), and of course our upcoming "March" Joomla template.

In the next day or two we hope to release Gantry for 1.6. After that some key extensions will follow (pretty much ready, just need build and install tested). Then shortly after that we can release our first Joomla 1.6 template "Tachyon" which has been converted already and looking good, just awaiting the other bits plus it's own build process etc.

So Yah, it doesn't sound impressive, but there's been lots of bits to sort out and work around to get to this point, but we're very close now.
    • themouse
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Wait a second, The mud is clearing......Im getting an Image....JK
      Thanks Andy :mrgreen:

Posted 13 years 2 months ago
    • Andy,

Awesome to hear that things are coming by the end of the week (if you can include Maelstrom in that release...well, that would be perfect :-).

It's probably not on the radar now, but it would be extremely handy to have some sort of custom width capability built-in to Gantry.

I know there are things like this Grid System Generator available:
      http://www.gridsystemgenerator.com/

So I could imagine it being possible to do.

While I like the 960 Grid System, it would be great to have that additional flexibility.

Thank you!

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds