Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

please read - when your template parameters dont show..

• Re: please read - when your template parameters dont show..

Posted 13 years 8 months ago
    • I have had a site up for a few months and upgraded the template to Panacea from Crystalline.

On first load setting the new tempate to default I could not see the new template parameters and Joomla had told me there was a problem installing the tempate using the regular install system.

On checking via ftp the back end I saw that the files had in fact been upload but I still had the error as the first post above shows.

Not realising this was an issue initially I thought it was a glitch or something I had done wrong so I unzipped locally the tempate file and uploaded and overwrote the ones that were already there. This then brought into play the regular template parameters adjustments and I thought everything was resolved.

The params.ini however showed as not writeable so I changed the permissions to make it writeable and that enabled me to make changes to the template although the error message params.ini not writeable still shows I cannot seem to change that status message although the actual permissions do appear to change when I modify them.

I also upgraded gantry to the later .10 version.

I run my own server (Centos 05) but the php on this system doesn't automatically update to the very latest version. (something to do with redhat and stable releases I think)

I am not a programmer but can "tinker" and wondered if the above helped provide any clues as to what's going on.

One other quirk that I have on this site but not others is that when I save an article (not categories etc) the site hangs for a while and then tells me I have an internal server error. It does save the changes but doesn't refresh the page to allow me to continue editing without clicking the browser back button to get back to where I can edit the article.

Hope this helps with a work around for anyone in the short term and maybe shed some light on things that the developers may need to tweak.

Love the new templates by the way haven't done any sites for a few months and the template parameter adjustments have come on in leaps and bounds whilst I have been "away".

• Just afuther note one other issue I am still working on is the "cannot assign default template" error message on the same site.
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: please read - when your template parameters dont show..

• Paul Duffield wrote:
      The params.ini however showed as not writeable so I changed the permissions to make it writeable and that enabled me to make changes to the template although the error message params.ini not writeable still shows I cannot seem to change that status message although the actual permissions do appear to change when I modify them.
      hi paul,

this is a known joomla bug which seems to appear on certain servers only.

very often the changes actually do get saved, even if the params.ini says it is unwritable.
      worth to give this a try.

if it does not work, you may try to enable your ftp layer in the joomla global configuration.

if this doesn't help as well, then you can try to add some changes to ../administrator/components/com_templates/controller.php

find below codes:

// Try to make the params file unwriteable
      if (!$ftp['enabled'] && JPath::isOwner($file) && !JPath::setPermissions($file, '0555')) {

and change to:

// Try to make the params file unwriteable
      if (!$ftp['enabled'] && JPath::isOwner($file) && !JPath::setPermissions($file, '0755')) {

kat :)
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Paul Duffield wrote:
      Just afuther note one other issue I am still working on is the "cannot assign default template" error message on the same site.
      hi again,

this is the correct behavior, any template which is currently set as the default template will show this message because only templates that are not default can be assigned to certain pages.

kat :)
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Paul Duffield wrote:
      One other quirk that I have on this site but not others is that when I save an article (not categories etc) the site hangs for a while and then tells me I have an internal server error. It does save the changes but doesn't refresh the page to allow me to continue editing without clicking the browser back button to get back to where I can edit the article.
      this issue is not gantry related and is most likely caused by the server settings or similar.
      you can start a new topic for that, then we can try to help you solve this.

thanks, kat :)

Posted 13 years 7 months ago
    • HI Kat,
      Many thanks for the replies all very helpful. The params.ini did save eventually and I found that part of the problem was me being daft and trying to apply global changes to a specific menu item (home) so the bulk of the site changed but not the home page. I don't recall setting the home page to be different but clearly must have clicked something by mistake on that.

I also took the "brave" step of upgrading my Centos 05 server to version of php and mysql that are not supported/part of the 5.5 release and that seemed to allow me to get the params part to now appear as "writeable".on the message too.

For the record the upgrade from the atomic repositories all worked and the server is still running with the latest and greatest php on without breaking anything if anyone else needs to go down that route I had a relatively easy upgrade process on that.

I will post on the time out issue as a new thread as that one persists. (oddly not on a site I cloned from it on the same server though - more on that elsewhere though)
    • motionbug
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • I turned on PHP debugging via PHP not joomla (call me crazy) and this is the error I get
      ( ! ) Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class CallbackBody in /var/www/webmaster/home.bis-school.com/components/com_gantry/admin/phpQuery.php on line 1038

Other Facts:
      PHP Version 5.2.6-1+lenny8
      DOM/XML enabled
    • "There is a time for daring and a time for caution, and a wise man knows which is called for."
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• motionbug
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Thanks that helped out a lot! I search for this string a couple of times before I posted, didn't find it!

Thanks again! :D
    • "There is a time for daring and a time for caution, and a wise man knows which is called for."
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• glad this helped! :)

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds