0 items Join Now

Magento Template Club

• NZD - Jonathan
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • CEO, NZD Securities

Re: Magento Template Club

Posted 13 years 2 months ago
    • I like your Magento work ALOT!
      Im checking it if i could do some integration to my current design. If i see i can do it, i will get a developer membership for sure.
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi Sam,

Thanks for replying...yes I have seen the extensions demos and pages (and they are awesome), which is why I think you need to prop them up more.
      Personally I think it's already there with the Mag Specific "extensions", but you're going to have to be able to quantify it better with your copy

is what I said....The Demos as they are now show the extension as an afterthought. (From a Margeting Perspective) This IMHO is a carry over from Joomla extensions, as it's expected from RT to have extensions/modules styled for the template. Where in Magento this is not the norm and I think would be a stronger selling point, which is why I mentioned it.
      personally think it's quite apparent to anyone who's worked with Magento that we've included an awful lot of backend options to help speed up the development process.

Agreed, but is your target market someone who is a magento veteran or a small business owner looking for a magento template?

Basically, If I'm a small business owner and I land on demo.rockettheme.com/magento/

I don't see why that awesome product scroller is better than someone elses...because you're not telling me immediately. I would have to know to go to the "extensions" menu item.

Make Sense?

Again, I'm not bashing, but applauding the move. Just trying to think like my clients.

Cheers,
      Rich
    • My Sites:
      Perth Website Design
      Scuba Marketing
      I'm a Henning Stalker!
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• You definitely have a point there, and again thanks for the input. We tried to make the demo show how a Magento store would look with the template, just showcasing products, but I do agree that it would be better to somehow highlight the integrated extensions better. We'll have to have a think about that!
    • STEP 1 IN MAGENTO DEVELOPMENT - DISABLE YOUR CACHE OR YOU WON'T SEE ANY CHANGES.
      Use the new "secure" tab when replying for privately sharing links.
      Check the "Useful Snippets" post for tips.
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Kristian Andersen wrote:
      Well yes I think so. We already pay one subscription. Why pay more? But I know you'll do as you think is best. Just my opinion ;)

Each club is separate as it would be impossible (in terms of business) to offer all templates from all clubs (because of development costs) at one price point.

That is why each club is separate.

If RT were to offer one price for 3/6/12 month access to all clubs, the price would be exorbitant.

www.rockettheme.com/join-a-club

Even if there was a package to join all the clubs for the minimum amount of time, it would be $290.

(Currently 1-2 entitlements per club, 60-90 days of support.)

But what if you only use Joomla, or Joomla and phpbb3, or only WP, Drupal, or Magento?

Most of your subscription would go to waste.

{We have seen similar topics issues with Joomla / phpBB3 integration - yes, if you want phpBB3 to match the template you have to join that club as well - two separate platforms}

IMHO, I wouldn't pay $290 for a packages like this as I only use Joomla and phpBB3, why would I pay 'extra' for access to four other clubs that I don't use templates for.

I.e., if you are using Joomla now and want to use Magento, would you be willing to pay for a 'Master subscription' to four other clubs that you have no intention of using?

Mix and match is really the best solution.

Get a subscription to a club or clubs for the platform or platforms you plan to develop on.

Similar to MS Office or Adobe Creative Suite (but not exactly the same) ...

If you only want Word or Fireworks, you probably wouldn't want to buy MS Office Pro or the entire Adobe Creative Suite, just the programs you plan to use.

Maybe it's confusing because all the templates / styles we have are listed on one site, but you should consider each club as a separate entity (or company) like MS = Joomla, Adobe = phpBB3, WP = Roxio, etc, etc...
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

• Rich Bean wrote:
      I think RT has made a good choice in diversifying. Even some of the original Joomla Developers have left the project due to infighting. I'm sure that Andy has seen this and the writing on the wall that there is a "possibility" that the Joomla project won't live much beyond the 1.7 release due to internal conflicts, therefore has branched out to other avenues.

Thank you Rich, for this cautious viewpoint, and reminder to always keep an eye on the overall perspectives.
    • Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller
    • JeffShinn
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Software Engineer (BS CET/MS CS)

• Congrats to you guys, and good work Sam, Kat and Ben.

In response to the comment about pricing structure, I do not think that person was necessarily saying they want it for free, but for a discounted price (especially if they are a developer subscriber).

I am totally in agreement that RT is a business and has a pretty fair pricing structure and didn't set up show to give everything away, but there are many factors such as the fact that the Magento club is new, there are limited templates and extensions, and new releases have not garnished a guaranteed monthly installment (where Joomla! seems to be the only standard).

I think it would be fantastic to show a wee bit of loyalty to dev members (the unlimited club subscribers) by allowing them to purchase another club at the upgrade price. It is not much off, but sometimes the action speaks louder than the amount.

BTW, anyone who says RT has poor support for its members is just crazy or have not attempted to get support yet. I know Kat works literally all the time, and yet she has helped me and others in support many times (as well as the other devs). What I like most about RT is their products are produced so well, even a half-way decent developer would rarely need support.

BTW, haven't tried anything from JoomlArt yet (which in my opinion is the only other design house capable of being a competitor of RT) but the 1.6 themes from Yoo leave a lot to be desired, and that pained me because I like their Zoo work.

The Yoo 1.6 theme Expo with Warp 5.5+ is very basic. It's one of those matters where once you know better, you miss doing it that way. Warp is definitely more of a dig-in type framework on 1.6 as the administration for the theme is not quite as bad as David posted, but it is no where near the caliber of RT's Gantry.

I've yet to use a JoomlArt template for 1.6 (not a member) but after playing around pretty heavily with 1.6 on my dev server I can see no reason for me to start working in 1.6 for clients unless they specifically request it. I make money by saving money on custom coding, which is the single most expensive portion of a client's project. RT themes and extensions allow me to minimize custom coding while still maintaining a custom feel without the fear of my clients seeing their site and design somewhere else. I don't do drop and collect development, I still custom code quite a bit, but it is far less than I would need to do with say Joomla! 1.6 or WordPress. Plus I've been using K2 and Zoo for so long, they almost seem more intuitive to me than 1.6...but I know that is just me and my creature comforts. :)

Again, awesome work RT team. And unlike some people who obviously missed the Feb 2011 Joomla! template release, thanks for being professional and competent and NOT leaving behind the other clubs. :cheesy:

Jeff
    • When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?
  • Re: Magento Template Club

• Good work, while I am not really happy with the expansion :)
      The more platforms, the more usage it means for certain design. :)
    • Ivo Apostolov
      ипотпал
      Ivo Apostolov
    • Rich Bean
    • Elite Rocketeer

• One thing that I would like to see is the list of what templates are scheduled for release.

It's easy enough to figure out for other clubs, but not so for this one...

Since this is a bigger investment, I'd like to know what's on the horizon.

(Wouldn't complain about a Dev Disount either!)

Cheers,

Rich
    • My Sites:
      Perth Website Design
      Scuba Marketing
      I'm a Henning Stalker!
  • Re: Magento Template Club

• This is absolutely fantastic! I'm just disappointed I only found out about this today when I was trying to figure out which Joomla Template I wanted to port to my own custom magento template.

Where was the email news letter?!

Anyway, what you guys are bringing to the table with your included custom extensions will be a deal maker for the do-it-yourselfer who wants to use magento but then realizes that out of the box your home page doesn't do anything. It can cost a lot set up your home page with various extensions or custom development. Like Rich was saying you guys should market how much value (both in time and money) you are actually delivering with your template and the extensions.

Are you guys taking on custom jobs? I'm Modern 2 on my site. It's decent a decent starter template but obviously does not compare to the work you guys put out.

Please email or pm me.
    • KMGDESIGN
    • Hero Rocketeer

• ouuuh!
      please tell me:

• what is the difference to an 'mynxx' template?
      • which could be the better one?
      • i`m on the way to change 'mynxx' to an 'black' style
      • i spend a lot of time to check 'mynxx' with 'virtuemart'?!!!! :shock:
      • there are also some questions, ...

:(

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds