• Elite Rocketeer

Re: Magento Template Club

Posted 13 years 2 months ago
    • PaulK
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• David Goode wrote:
      Would you care to name some of the Joomla 1.6 templates that other clubs have ready, that you have actually used in a live site environment?

No, unfortunately I chose to join RT and not one of the other clubs. I know that one is using T3 framework and I have a hard time believing that Gantry is so much further advanced.

The post by David Goode is a great example of the condescending attitude I mentioned in my previous post. I'm very glad that any potential customer (thanks for for being so asinine as to point out simple typos) of RT can see how they will be treated here after they have spent their money.

How was my grammar? What else did I misspell?
  • Re: Magento Template Club

• How was my grammar? What else did I misspell?[/quote]
      (thanks for for being so asinine as to point out simple typos)

Grammar was ok with just the one typo...
    • Sam Mahoney
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Soooooooo, anyways....Magento, yeah!
    • STEP 1 IN MAGENTO DEVELOPMENT - DISABLE YOUR CACHE OR YOU WON'T SEE ANY CHANGES.
      Use the new "secure" tab when replying for privately sharing links.
      Check the "Useful Snippets" post for tips.
    • Sharon Gaughan
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Information Science & Technology

• I thought I would never ask this, but: what is the threshold for expelling a childish user from RT who engages in uninformed and insulting rants?

This is a terrible waste of time for adults trying to get their work done. I defer to management on this, but enough is enough.
    • Sharon Sinéad Gaughan
      Fairfax, VA  USA

Apache / MySQL 5.0.95 / PHP 5.3.24 / Joomla! 2.5.20 / Gantry 4.1.20
      Custom: rt_hexeris-custom.css and rt_hexeris-custom.less
  • Re: Magento Template Club

• Congratulations on Magento guys :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK
    • Invision
    • Hero Rocketeer

• When will the first GPL theme be released :P

Congrats on the Magento Release :cheesy:
    • Apache Version 2.2.14 (Unix) | PHP Version 5.2.12 | MySQL Version 5.1.43-log | Architecture x86_64 | OS Linux | Joomla Version 1.5.20 | pHpBB v3.0.7-PL1 | Firefox v3.6.8 | Internet Explorer 8 |
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• For the question on mage-bridge, I haven't tested it myself, but my first inclination is to not include too many extras in Magento. This is already a very very large system and the templates here have been developed to give tons of options. Magento can be difficult to update and having to update any items that try to sync with other systems can be a lot to keep track of.

Think of Magento as a monster truck that is big, powerful, and works through a lot and can handle a ton. Think of a Mini Cooper as easy to handle, quick, and speedy. Stuffing all the parts of the monster truck into a Mini Cooper doesn't mean you get the best of both worlds, in a sense, you sort of compromise both worlds a little bit. So weigh your options and what you really need to gain from joining two systems. There are also some creative ways to use what's already included in Magento to accomplish various tasks people might want to include Joomla for.

Dig into magento and the templates here and also check out what Sam has done with the menus and including support for magento's AW Blog extension.
    • Shawn F
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• What a pleasant surprise this morning! I've been developing Magento sites for the past ten months and I had no idea RT was working on a Magento Club. I know what I'll be getting a membership in the next few days.

As always Rocket Theme is THE source for CMS templates and extensions. I have memberships with a few other clubs but I still rank RocketTheme as #1. Outstanding work! The RT team should be proud. Thank you for your hard work!
    • Shawn F
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• I agree with you 100% Ben. In the time I've worked with Magento one glaring situation has ALWAYS presented itself: Magento is HUGE. In most cases, if you run a store that gets a healthy amount of traffic, a standard shared host will not work. The last Magento store I built had to be moved to a Magento specific host as any shared host was unable to handle the massive amount of SQL queries.

Bottom line, if your Magento store can do without a extension, don't install it. Less is more with Magento.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds