Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Update on Wage

• WBoro
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Update on Wage

Posted 12 years 6 months ago
    • The last time I read about it, the life expectancy for US men is in the seventies, so most of us won't reach 82. I wouldn't worry about it.

The UV exposure thing is rough, but you will adapt to it.

Your decision to live each day as if it was your last is a good one that we should all follow. Nobody gets out of this place alive.

It's funny how much we fear death. Once we get to where we are going, we may very well wonder what we were so afraid of. Being afraid of the inevitable is pointless.

Greg
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• :arrowu: +1

Keep smiling Wage, or at least try.

Every day is a gift, we should all treat them as such.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • jpl1.618
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Wage, did your doctor tell you exactly what UV exposure aggravates in a transplant patient to cause death? Is it heat sensitivity? light sensitivity? Was the guy that died an isolated incident?

I wonder how you are suppose to get vitamin D. You might have to rely on supplementation of it the rest of your life because it is so critical to keeping your immune system healthy in addition to mineral absorption and bone health. The reason why people usually get sick in the winter is because our vitamin D levels drop from lack of sun exposure(UVB rays), not because it's cold!

Anyway, just think of every day you have left on this earth as a bonus, a gift, which they all are anyway and enjoy the heck out of them! There are many many people with far more limitations that wish those were the only ones they had to deal with.
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

• YES! in a matter of words!
      He explained that the UV light interrupts the transplant mechanism/process at the cellular-level. It can cause the "graft" to reverse itself and work backwards. Most cases, people get SEVERE "Graft versus Host disease. " But, some people get "total rejection" and that is NOT what you want!

Vitamins are definitely in my future! Along with all the anti-rejection meds I'm on, I am currently taking about 30-40 pills-a-day. A lot of them are vitamins that my body is not generating right now.... Vitamin D will be one in the future but my liver enzymes are pretty screwed up right now, preventing me from taking that suppliment. I have to have weekly Magnesium infusions because my stomach can't tolerate it pill form (bad diarrhea).

As far as that guy who died while on the lake, I don't know! I "pinned-down" my doctor on some pretty tough questions and that was the most recent example. He made it seem like it just happened.

So, in layman's terms, I am probably going to have to sell my golf clubs and take up bowling or something! Sorry to be such a "Downer." It just seems like I take one-step-forward and two steps back fighting this disease! At least I will probably live long enough to walk my daughter "down-the-isle" at her wedding.

Thanks for all the support! You folks have no idea how much it means to me!
      Wage
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

• WBoro wrote:
      The last time I read about it, the life expectancy for US men is in the seventies, so most of us won't reach 82. I wouldn't worry about it.

Your decision to live each day as if it was your last is a good one that we should all follow. Nobody gets out of this place alive.

It's funny how much we fear death. Once we get to where we are going, we may very well wonder what we were so afraid of. Being afraid of the inevitable is pointless.

Greg

I like your style, sir, and couldn't agree more...on all accounts.

Hell, I smoked for nearly 30 years (we start young in upstate NY :oops: ) and recently found a lung nodule during several CT-scans...60/40 chance cancer.

What am I doing? Getting the body strong and proving them wrong.

Do the same, Wage. Prove him wrong and live to 90. I am. :)

The LAST thing you want to do is get down.

I swear I put the clubs in the truck and drove to the local course last weekend, parked, about to walk up to the clubhouse, said *fok it*, turned around, and did this instead.

Dig deeper, bro.
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Blog entry:
      10-26-11
      7:14 pm

Sorry I haven't been very diligent with my blog. My internet access is VERY LIMITED here in Nashville.

UPDATE: Today is day 68 post transplant and the medical team tells me that I am "Sailing Through It!"
      I am really feeling like a new man!!! It has been so long since I have felt this "Normal" and it is a very welcome feeling! I haven't had to have any transfusions in a long time now and it feels great! I am still taking about 30-40 pills-a-day... Mostly anti-rejection drugs and Vitamin supplements that my body isn't producing normally yet.

But, once again, I am really feeling better! It was such a long ordeal waiting for this transplant, but it was definitely worth the wait!

The "trade-Off" of having to avoid UV rays for the rest of my life is gonna take some getting used to. But, I guess I'll have to sell my golf clubs and buy a bowling ball!! haha! I really don't know what I am gonna do with myself!

Thanks for all the support! You really have no idea how much it has meant!

Your Pal,
      Wage
    • Last Edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Robert D. Wagers.
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
    • Adamck
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Web Developer, IT Assistant, Graphics design, App Developer

• Great news dude :) Glad your feeling more yourself again!
      Avoiding UV rays is no biggie, move to the UK its easy to dodge them here haha.
      Im sure you will find many hobbies to keep you busy and out of the sun!

And wow 30+ pills a day!! Im crap at taking medication, i struggle to swallow paracetamol, I have to have the white chalky tablets you can snap in half and i do it half at a time with food lol.

Keep fighting the fight dude, sounds like your on the winning side again :)
    • Kiss my RSS
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• MY BREAKFAST!
      Here's an idea of what I take every day! This was my breakfast this morning! I take this many pills three-times-a-day!

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • WBoro
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Robert D. Wagers wrote:
      MY BREAKFAST!
      Here's an idea of what I take every day! This was my breakfast this morning! I take this many pills three-times-a-day!
      Looks like a very expensive breakfast!

Greg
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Yeah, I have NO idea and I DON'T want to know either!
      I just know the total cost for this transplant is around $250,000 (250 thousand dollars)!

Wage

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds