Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 3

• Re: Joomla 3

Posted 11 years 6 months ago
    • Hmmmm,

Too much talk about 2.5 here ......

I really liked to know when there is a gantry and a template from rockettheme for joomla 3. Inbetween days, weeks or monthes. Please state it out. Thank you so much.
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: Joomla 3

• Hi, I was just responding to the last post. Considering that Joomla 3 just came out a few days ago, whether or not to upgrade is certainly a fair question and should be addressed. A lot of folks who come here may be concerned with keeping their websites up and running with a stable version - and they should ask before they make a decision.

Andy spelled it out in his earlier posts - it's coming right from him and that is as official as it gets. All I can really add is that our October template comes out in a few days and it is not for Joomla 3. What happens in November and beyond remains to be seen.

The only other advice I can offer on this topic is to be realistic with expectations. J3 has only been out for a few days, you're not going to find much in terms of compatibility from any developer at this point. All Joomla products will have to be redone - extensions, components, plugins, templates - everything. Some developers may beat us to the punch, but few have products that are as fully featured and sophisticated as ours. It's just a ton of work and it will take time, that's just reality.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
    • steve_k
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• you responsive templates for 2.5 are very good if you are building a site that does not rely on a static built component,

Joomla 3 with built in responsive design is a major upgrade and will tempt lots of people to jump in sooner than normal, I bet by Xmas all your template releases will be joomla 3 compatible, as you say though the problem will be the component developers,
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Ops Director
    • Jr. Rocketeer
    • Sports Events Manager

• Cliff Pfeifer wrote:
      My advice, go with 2.5. Fracture and Gantry are fully responsive and only work in Joomla 2.5. Joomla 2.5 itself is not responsive per say, but the template controls what is seen on the front end. You'll be able to do what you need with Gantry and our templates in 2.5.

Thank you Cliff for your response EXACTLY on point. Off the bleeding edge then, will build on 2.5.
    • Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Ops Director.
    • --
      Cheers,
      Kai

Joomla 2.5.11
      Gantry 4.1.10
      Graffito 1.1.1
      K2 2.6.6
  • Re: Joomla 3

• Now that 3.0 IS released, what the scoop? We are excited to see some of the old and new templates start using 3.0. However many other vendors have to catch up as well....
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• Squarepeg
    • Rocketeer
    • Freelance Internet Nightmare

Posted 11 years 5 months ago
    • Really RT? We're 30 days into J 3.0 and nothing has been released and no updates regarding 3.0 compatible extensions/templates since the blog post from a month ago ... Not very compatible for those of us project planning or working with new clients.
      :-(
    • Squarepeg ... Round World
      Because Sometimes I Think About Stuff
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• We're working overtime on getting this done. It's not a simple task, it has taken a while even to get the unified builds to work properly. Also we had to make some fundamental changes in direction due to the final released version of J3.0. Now we have to address issues and bugs that have arisen in every extensions as we've converted them all to unified builds that work in both j25 and j30.

If you realized the amount of effort involved you would not be so hasty to chastise us. I assure you we've all been working really hard to make this happen as fast as humanly possible.

On top of that, the Joomla project made it clear, and we also stated, that you should NOT use J3.0 for production sites, there are many bugs and issues that we run into every day.

On the plus side, we're pretty close with Gantry4.1 and that is the first hurdle. Once that is finalized and released, it means we can get everything else sorted. It's kind of like the first bit of the puzzle, but even that requires some key extensions to be 100% sorted (roknavmenu, etc).
    • Squarepeg
    • Rocketeer
    • Freelance Internet Nightmare

• Thanks for the update.

Never questioned the complexity of the task at hand, I questioned the lack of any released product & lack of any additional time-frame for us [your paying subscribers] to work with. And, maybe you don't realize much about what it takes us on the front lines building websites to make a living keep up, compete, and differentiate ourselves from the competition.

The last time-frame update was in the Sept blog post and it said extensions were 90% done [less sprocket & gallery] and things would be rolled out in a few weeks [couple=two, few=three]. We are now a month [four] down the road without any significant information or updates from RT, and all of your similar premium-level competition is releasing 3.0 compatible templates with integrated extensions.

Also ... Just because 3.0 isn't recommended for production sites yet doesn't mean that I [and many others] withhold all development on it. We build - install updates, build - install updates until it's ready for prime time. To use this as some kind of reply for not keeping up with your competition is pretty weak.

And since through all your bluster, you still provided no time-frame, at least I know what I'm doing today, and that's picking up a developer subscription with an additional template co that can keep up.

I've been exclusive to RT for a couple years, but unfortunately, today that comes to an end.
    • Squarepeg ... Round World
      Because Sometimes I Think About Stuff

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds