Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 3

• steve_k
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Joomla 3

Posted 11 years 7 months ago
    • with the beta release upon and the general scheduled for the end of the month, how soon can we expect to see the release of a rocket theme joomla 3 template?

also I have just tried a component that has been updated to work with bootstrap and joomla 3 (also still ok on 2,5) it is responsive on the demo (joomla3) site but did not work responsively on Factura and joomla 2.5 :cry:
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Joomla 3

• We are pretty on top of the development of Joomla 3. We've already done some initial work in our extensions, but as was the case with Joomla 1.6 after 1.5, there's a fair bit of changes, and most of this is still in flux.

We are going to be spending this month ensuring that our core stuff is compatible with Joomla 3, but until 3.0 is officially released, we can't be sure of everything that is going to take. I don't expect us to be fully ready-to-go when 3.0 is released just because until that point, things are constantly changing.

Regarding responsiveness and the component you tried, it really depends on how that component was developed. If it was developed to rely on grid css coming from the base Joomla 3 template, then no, it won't work the same way with Fracture. Really a component should be self contained so that it has all the css it needs to work in any template. This is going to be a learning curve for everyone, 3rd party developers and core team to see the best approach for all.

Anyway, that all said, my advice for Joomla 1.6, 1.7 and subsequently 2.5 still stands. Joomla 3.0 is going to be for the adventurous, and probably not suitable for production. 3.1 probably will address most of the issues of 3.0, and start to be more robust. I personally will wait for Joomla 3.5 to use it on a production site.
    • steve_k
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• the component uses core bootstrap js and less, and the developers say it should be compatible with any template that contains the core js and less,

am i correct in assuming that joomla3 templates will have to work with the bootstrap framework, and not a modified version?

will the RT J3 templates be backward compatible?
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• We have limited bootstrap css in our templates so far mainly because we don't know what Joomla 3 final is going to look like, and we have to work with Joomla 2.5 anyway. There is no requirement that ALL joomla 3 templates must be use bootstrap, it will be loaded by the core because the core is going to use it. We use bootstrap as it was intended, as a base, to 'bootstrap' our own design. Bootstrap was never intended to be used 100% unaltered.

We'll just have to see how this all plays out.
  • Re: Joomla 3

Posted 11 years 6 months ago
    • Hi Andy.

Thanks for your info. Now two weeks later things went more clear hopefully.

Can we expect a fair good working (nothing is perfect) solution to have a joomla 3 / gantry / rockettheme template combo soon ?

I mean is it planned for one of the next monthes or can we expect a j3 template in october ?

Thanks for your expectations
    • Rui Durão
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Web Stylist

• Andy Miller wrote:
      Joomla 3.0 is going to be for the adventurous, and probably not suitable for production. 3.1 probably will address most of the issues of 3.0, and start to be more robust. I personally will wait for Joomla 3.5 to use it on a production site.

Andy has spoken...

Enough for me! :)
    • RocketTheme rocks the themes!

• I just finally upgraded a site to 2.5 this past month. Not ready for 3.0 yet :) time is flying by it seems.
    • Ops Director
    • Jr. Rocketeer
    • Sports Events Manager

• A bit confused here: Responsive Design, Gantry 4, Joomla 3.0 and Fracture template.

Our highest priority for building a site for a sports event (launch Dec, 2012, event July 2013) is that it be readable from web and all mobile devices. So looking at Responsive Design templates as MANDATORY. Looking at Fracture template and fresh Joomla install by October 15, 2012.

Is Responsive Design fully supported in Joomla 2.5? Is required Gantry 4 fully supported in 2.5? Preferable to run RT Fracture template on 2.5 or do fresh Joomla 3.0 install and build on its "bleeding edge" feature set?

Suggestions? FAQ reference? Thanks.
    • --
      Cheers,
      Kai

Joomla 2.5.11
      Gantry 4.1.10
      Graffito 1.1.1
      K2 2.6.6

• Andy, big thanks for the advice for a production site, "...wait for 3.5...."
    • CoolCmsc
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• My advice, go with 2.5. Fracture and Gantry are fully responsive and only work in Joomla 2.5. Joomla 2.5 itself is not responsive per say, but the template controls what is seen on the front end. You'll be able to do what you need with Gantry and our templates in 2.5.

With all the Joomla upgrades (or any upgrades for that matter), I've found it's best to look at the End of Life date for the current versions - as opposed to the release date of the new version. Take those two dates (new release to EOL), and that is the timeframe you have to move to the next version before the older version is not supported any longer. Go with what is working now and save your sanity. Just my advice.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds