Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 3

• Re: Joomla 3

Posted 11 years 4 months ago
    • Square,
      I am assuming I am in the same line of work as you with taking RT templates and rolling them out to customers. I think the RT approach is by far and wide the best way to do it. Who cares if YOOtheme or Gavick templates are J3.0 ready. Making sure all the bonus features (RokSprocket, etc) work is way more important to me and I am sure others on here. A site is way more than just a template or theme. It is about the content provided and the interactivity it provides to its visitors (depending on goal).

Yes, I would love for all RT to be J3.0 at this point...but the reality is...even if they were, it will be out of date in less than 6 months any way. The real goal is to be J3.5 ready the day of launch. LTS is the only thing anyone should be launching for a site anyway. J3.0 is for playing and learning and you can do that now...easily.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4
    • Squarepeg
    • Rocketeer
    • Freelance Internet Nightmare

Re: Joomla 3

• Jason,
      Nice of you to come riding in to RT's defense. But, this is the second major J release [for which I have been a subscriber to RT] that RT has been way behind the rest of the pack in delivery of compatible templates and extensions. And, this time round has been the same as the last [2.5], where folks are asking for some kind of update of what to expect & when, and RT either doesn't answer the question, or give any new info.

My first post above was after multiple folks had asked about updates and RT simply referred them right back to the same J3 blog post that had no updates or information. It's like calling a client about a payment and they just don't answer the phone, or give you a dozen reasons why it didn't go in the mail. Difference here is that I/we are the client & we have paid our bill up front [developer subscriptions to RT] and it's RT giving the excuses and turning it back around on me/us for asking the questions when they are falling behind.

If the future plays out like it has in the past, RT will be 4 - 6 weeks+ behind everyone else when 3.5 is released and we will be here in the forums begging for updates and information.

My rip here has never been the quality of RT themes or extensions, but the lack of effective communication, the time-frames they work with, and how they are [yet again] lagging behind the competition [even the weak template dev houses].

Nice sheriff's badge, I pray you are an oath keeper.
    • Squarepeg ... Round World
      Because Sometimes I Think About Stuff

• Thanks but I am not coming to RT's rescue per se.

I will agree they do run behind compared to other clubs. But none of the other clubs offer as much as RT does. My only real gripe is no real FB module and the RokDownload abandonment.

Outside of that...look at clubs where I hold memberships:

YOOtheme - Warp is easy and fast. Their layouts are only useful for small pages sites (IMO).
      Gavick - Gavern is more advanced that WARP and their heavy integration with K2 makes good News/Catalog/image intensive sites.
      Shape5 - Vertex is cool and about on part with WARP. Shape5 makes good business oriented sites.
      IceTheme - No framework (I am not renewing my membership).

I guess my question is...does it really matter if RT is a few weeks behind? I am still waiting on extensions by 3rd party vendors that are higher priority to be "responsive".

As for the badge, yeap...I am a sheepdog.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Well the short answer is we would rather do it right the first time, rather than rush out a quick hacky solution. This means rather than just quickly converting our existing stuff to have a j3.0 version, we've decided that it makes more sense to us and to our users to have one version that is compatible with both versions. Also the work we are doing now, will certainly allow for better compatibility with 3.1 and 3.5, but also potentially 4.0 depending on how different that is.

This kind of forward-planning means there's more up front work, but it should pay off for you all in the long term. We think it will mean that after the initial complexity and hiccups are overcome, it will also mean we can deliver better consistency between the joomla versions.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Jason Kopacko wrote:
      Thanks but I am not coming to RT's rescue per se.

I will agree they do run behind compared to other clubs. But none of the other clubs offer as much as RT does. My only real gripe is no real FB module and the RokDownload abandonment.

Regarding RokDownloads, I've mentioned this in other threads, but we're going to start working on a whole new (and vastly superior) version of RokDownloads in the next month or two. Of course this Joomla3 work has caused a hold, because we've thrown every available resource at getting it sorted as fast as possible. But as soon as it settles down it's the next major development effort on our list.

• Our role as a consultants and contractor isn't always to do what the customer wants, but to educate them and guide them to make better decisions.

ie skipping 3.0

• Andy Miller wrote:
      Regarding RokDownloads, I've mentioned this in other threads, but we're going to start working on a whole new (and vastly superior) version of RokDownloads in the next month or two. Of course this Joomla3 work has caused a hold, because we've thrown every available resource at getting it sorted as fast as possible. But as soon as it settles down it's the next major development effort on our list.

I know you've talked about it in other posts and I have been waiting patiently. It is gripe for me, mostly because I hate dealing with Phoca Downloads. I also wish you guys would make a Facebook extension as well so I could get off JFBConnect.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

• Squarepeg
    • Rocketeer
    • Freelance Internet Nightmare

• @Jason - Thanks for the bounce back - good to hear you're an oath keeper. Means allot. also, thx for the template co referrals. just decided to re-fire an old dev sub I let laps about 18 months ago with Jxtc. they've got really nice K2 styling/integration & their support is pretty solid.

@Robert - I hear ya, but I also drive quite a few personal websites & on those I have the freedom to test, break, fix all the stuff that folks say 'I should just be happy to wait for a stable version'. Also, having a complete package [that includes templates & extensions] to test, learn on and expand my working knowledge and skills is clutch. It's us 'early-adopters' that push the early releases to the breaking point, providing feedback & helping uncover the bugs to Joomla, RT, etc so folks like you can slide in comfortably later on.

@Andy - I hear ya on doing it right the first time, just do us all a favor and start doing regular updates on time-frames, expected releases dates, etc. If you say it's going to be a few weeks, but find out at the end of the 2nd or third week that it's going to take a coupe/few more weeks, TELL US. Don't let it get to the 4th week and then act surprised when customers like me say 'where's the udpate?'

Update & simply explain to us like this:

'it's been an m-f'n bizotch getting everything compatible with J3, and although we are running out of hair to rip out of our skullz, we've finished A, B & C. But have to finish X, Y & Z and estimate it's going to take some serious pain-killers [still bleeding from the scalp] and an additional couple [Two], or few [Three] Weeks. But, make sure to check back next week, as we will stop our furious werkin long enough to post an update on our progress.'

Voila! took me 45 seconds to write those 3 sentences.

Personally, I would much rather have the bad news that something is going to be delayed, and have that information for proper planning, than to than to be kept in the dark wondering when.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Had no idea I was going to stir up this much discussion. But even with all this back & forth, there is still no time-frame update or expected release date from RT.

So, I will just ask the question this way....

RT - How long will it be until you start releasing J3 compatible templates and extensions? One Day? One Week? Two Weeks? One Month? Longer?
    • Squarepeg ... Round World
      Because Sometimes I Think About Stuff

• Squarepeg wrote:
      @Andy - I hear ya on doing it right the first time, just do us all a favor and start doing regular updates on time-frames, expected releases dates, etc. If you say it's going to be a few weeks, but find out at the end of the 2nd or third week that it's going to take a coupe/few more weeks, TELL US. Don't let it get to the 4th week and then act surprised when customers like me say 'where's the udpate?'

Update & simply explain to us like this:

'it's been an m-f'n bizotch getting everything compatible with J3, and although we are running out of hair to rip out of our skullz, we've finished A, B & C. But have to finish X, Y & Z and estimate it's going to take some serious pain-killers [still bleeding from the scalp] and an additional couple [Two], or few [Three] Weeks. But, make sure to check back next week, as we will stop our furious werkin long enough to post an update on our progress.'

Voila! took me 45 seconds to write those 3 sentences.

Personally, I would much rather have the bad news that something is going to be delayed, and have that information for proper planning, than to than to be kept in the dark wondering when.
      I agree strongly.

Just update us and make a (new) time schedule to get us a little more into the timing.
      I think everybody will understand a delay for a detailed reason, but dont understand a delay for a too general reason.

In general we like your way of development but your communication behaviour is not acceptable in this highly informed world.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Point taken. I'll try to update more often even if its not necessarily good news :)

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds