Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • Marcus Westin - NZD.Securities, Inc. wrote:
      lighthouseweb wrote:
      I went with ROCHEN www.rochenhost.com/

Started with the Business hosting plan then upgraded to the Resellers plan then moved up to the MVS(little expensive) but you can do anything you want on the server.. If you need something added that MOST hosting companies won't put on it they will (they will even tell you if its not secure of bad to put that thing you want up for a client)

Its all backed up for you and they manage your server for you that has ONLY you on it and your clients..

I have been with alot of hosting companies from Godaddy, someother big on forget the name but VERY BIG and very bad.. and went with Rochen as they host Joomla site.. so they need to know somehting about hosting..

Personally I would say to stay away from Rochen, they have got hacked numerous times and there is little to none security available actually. GoDaddy is a safer alternative, but maybe not faster..
      The best is to have your own dedicated or vps, then manage and watch everything carefully. It's not hard directly.

Most of GoDaddy's IP addresses are the on the black ball list from Google which means that search engine rankings will be lower than expected. Most of my clients are GoDaddy migrations.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Agreed. I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy hosting under any circumstance. I guess you could say it's more secure - just because the user interface is so complicated with multiple passwords that even the account owners have trouble accessing everything. In my experience it's slow, overpriced, they don't offer any kind of backup options and it's over complicated. They also don't offer any kind of hosting reseller that I can see. You would do your clients a disservice by putting them on GoDaddy, I know from experience, still dealing with it in some cases.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Jason Kopacko wrote:
      Marcus Westin - NZD.Securities, Inc. wrote:
      lighthouseweb wrote:
      I went with ROCHEN www.rochenhost.com/

Started with the Business hosting plan then upgraded to the Resellers plan then moved up to the MVS(little expensive) but you can do anything you want on the server.. If you need something added that MOST hosting companies won't put on it they will (they will even tell you if its not secure of bad to put that thing you want up for a client)

Its all backed up for you and they manage your server for you that has ONLY you on it and your clients..

I have been with alot of hosting companies from Godaddy, someother big on forget the name but VERY BIG and very bad.. and went with Rochen as they host Joomla site.. so they need to know somehting about hosting..

Personally I would say to stay away from Rochen, they have got hacked numerous times and there is little to none security available actually. GoDaddy is a safer alternative, but maybe not faster..
      The best is to have your own dedicated or vps, then manage and watch everything carefully. It's not hard directly.

Most of GoDaddy's IP addresses are the on the black ball list from Google which means that search engine rankings will be lower than expected. Most of my clients are GoDaddy migrations.

Blacklists and Security is two different things, GoDaddy got mostly blacklisted because they have almost no payment security. Which results in a high amount of creditcard fraud. And those people using their fraudent hosting to do spamming which blacklists IP adresses. Also using the hosting for scampages and other illegal means..

The absolutely best you could do is to get your own subnet registered on your own. Which will eliminate all those hassle. Just my two cents
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

1 Penn Plaza, Office 6271
      Manhattan, NY 10119 USA
      E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Cliff Pfeifer wrote:
      Agreed. I wouldn't recommend GoDaddy hosting under any circumstance. I guess you could say it's more secure - just because the user interface is so complicated with multiple passwords that even the account owners have trouble accessing everything. In my experience it's slow, overpriced, they don't offer any kind of backup options and it's over complicated. They also don't offer any kind of hosting reseller that I can see. You would do your clients a disservice by putting them on GoDaddy, I know from experience, still dealing with it in some cases.

I ONLY recommended GoDaddy because of their server side security, it's not exactly their fault that there are holes in the client scripts. But I can agree on it's kinda slow, but quite affordable as well. However anyone that is serious in their web business should have their own servers.
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

1 Penn Plaza, Office 6271
      Manhattan, NY 10119 USA
      E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• Just my opinion and experience, I've never had anything but problems with GoDaddy, if it works for you go for it, I just don't agree. When I switched from my "Premium" GoDaddy account for one website to a reseller account on another host, the service was better, the price was about the same but I got 100 times more for my money and increased the level of service I can provide my clients by the same amount. Since we're talking about recommendations for clients, I felt obligated to share my experience.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• OK another stupid question. Do you setup your reseller account to allow the user to purchase their own domain and hosting through WHM or WHMCS or do you purchase the domain and setup their hosting for them? I'm in the process of switching hosting to Hostgator reseller plan still having some issues with my previous hosting so I haven't had a lot of time to try all this.

As always any advice would be appreciated!
      Kent
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Letting clients purchase their own domains in an "automated" way means you have to set up an account with "Enom" or another domain registrar. The draw back here is that there are no returns for domain names so if you get hacked or if there are fraud orders, you're on the hook for that money.

I say to set up the domain name registration as an offered product and then when the order comes in, you can go and purchase it they way you purchase other domain names. WHMCS will still have the product purchase in there for the customer and charge them annually, it's just more of a manual process of setting it up for the client.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

Ben is correct about using WHMCS. But if you set it up correctly the chances of getting ripped off are low. My WHMCS is set to only purchase the domain once payment is confirmed from paypal, or once I have cashed the cheque and payment is cleared or I have seen the bank transfer hit my account.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

• I use WHMCS and it has been awesome!
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4

• Thank you as always, don't really know how I'm going to handle all this a lot to think about.

Kent

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds