Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-time web developer

Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

Posted 12 years 3 months ago
    • Kent Black wrote:
      Crazy question, just purchased reseller package and setting it up, going to transfer my site to the reseller package and cancel my individual account. Do you set your site up in WHM just like a client or do you use your cpanel?

Thanks,
      Kent

The only setup you might have in WHM is IP assignment and/or sharing on the server. Chances if you are reselling they have this already taken care of. Everything else is done through cPanel. So you'll literally need to make yourself an account and setup everything there.
    • B e courteous to staff and members that volunteer their time helping you
      E ssential Tool - FireBug
      N ever assume I know what version you're talking about

S earch the forum for a solution first
      I nclude a link to the problem
      M ark your resolved issues as [SOLVED]
      O nly PM moderators if they request it first
      N o...
  • Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Thanks for all the help David and Ben, I appreciate the guidance in getting this thing started!

Kent
    • ipseityo
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Can really recommend setting up with a VPS from Servint. I've been with them a couple of years and their pricing and support has been completely top notch and beyond the call for the money paid. Also, there are no limits on number of domains etc, just the ram and disk space you want to pay for.

My main drama has been with a plesk 9 to 10 upgrade that is still leaving nasty aftershocks. I wonder if going with cpanel would have been far better. Servint have handled it very very well, but parallels support team are pretty bad and because of the licensing, support requests had to go to parallels via servint.

Just my 2c
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-time web developer

• ipseityo,

I started hosting with plesk and modernbill and I really liked the all in one administration for shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting. The reason I switched to cPanel was because more of my clients were familiar with it, easier to style (this might have changed since plesk 9), and I knew more people that used WHM/cPanel so I felt I'd have better support from other developers.

In regards to support I can say that cPanel is most certainly quick to respond. My problem is by the time I need to "call for help" it's usually over the persons head I'm emailing back and forth anyway. I've only contacted them twice and both times they couldn't help.
    • B e courteous to staff and members that volunteer their time helping you
      E ssential Tool - FireBug
      N ever assume I know what version you're talking about

S earch the forum for a solution first
      I nclude a link to the problem
      M ark your resolved issues as [SOLVED]
      O nly PM moderators if they request it first
      N o...

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • We having our own Cloud hosting for our clients, right now 17 dedicated servers in a network. We also have Amazon CDN as a addition for extra performance.. We have had thoughts to actually release the hosting to the general public, but it's not a clear decision yet.

For your part the best thing you could do is to get a dedicated server you can manage by yourself. And by a powerful server you can have 100's of client websites on it.
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

1 Penn Plaza, Office 6271
      Manhattan, NY 10119 USA
      E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• I went with ROCHEN www.rochenhost.com/

Started with the Business hosting plan then upgraded to the Resellers plan then moved up to the MVS(little expensive) but you can do anything you want on the server.. If you need something added that MOST hosting companies won't put on it they will (they will even tell you if its not secure of bad to put that thing you want up for a client)

Its all backed up for you and they manage your server for you that has ONLY you on it and your clients..

I have been with alot of hosting companies from Godaddy, someother big on forget the name but VERY BIG and very bad.. and went with Rochen as they host Joomla site.. so they need to know somehting about hosting..

• lighthouseweb wrote:
      I went with ROCHEN www.rochenhost.com/

Started with the Business hosting plan then upgraded to the Resellers plan then moved up to the MVS(little expensive) but you can do anything you want on the server.. If you need something added that MOST hosting companies won't put on it they will (they will even tell you if its not secure of bad to put that thing you want up for a client)

Its all backed up for you and they manage your server for you that has ONLY you on it and your clients..

I have been with alot of hosting companies from Godaddy, someother big on forget the name but VERY BIG and very bad.. and went with Rochen as they host Joomla site.. so they need to know somehting about hosting..

Personally I would say to stay away from Rochen, they have got hacked numerous times and there is little to none security available actually. GoDaddy is a safer alternative, but maybe not faster..
      The best is to have your own dedicated or vps, then manage and watch everything carefully. It's not hard directly.
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

Manhattan, NY 10119 USA
      E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• lighthouseweb wrote:
      I went with ROCHEN www.rochenhost.com/

Personally I would say to stay away from Rochen, they have got hacked numerous times and there is little to none security available actually. GoDaddy is a safer alternative, but maybe not faster..
      The best is to have your own dedicated or vps, then manage and watch everything carefully. It's not hard directly.
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

Manhattan, NY 10119 USA

• Really when did they get hacked?

I have a Dedicated server with them...

• They have got hacked numerous times. We monitor the underground forums for the latest patches to our own security. They root'ed many servers since they controlled the switch. I can personally recommend Hetzner if you need a reliable server, but they are only located in Germany..

They got hacked last time 2012-01-17 according to hackforums.net.. They where selling hacked servers from them.. We are not allowed to disclose details according to the TOS but if you got further questions you can PM me.
    • Marcus Westin
      Programmer
      NZD Securities, Inc.

Manhattan, NY 10119 USA

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds