Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

Posted 12 years 7 months ago
    • Cliff is correct - quite easy really.

Hardest bit is getting invoicing and automation set up. Hostgator provide a free copy of WHMCS and it works really well. Once you have set up the account packages in WHM you replicate them in WHMCS and that is when your automated reseller kicks in.

WHMCS also allows you to create invoices for sundry work such as site building, backups, reinstalls, in fact anything you can think of.

Allow yourself time to read the manuals and forums before diving in to the settings. Worth the extra effort.

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Back-ups....

Keep those in mind too.

If you are backing up a 100Mb site weekly, it doesn't take long to exceed a 1Gb limit unless you are downloading then deleting old backups regularly.

Teach your clients to backup, DL the backup, then delete the file from the server, or get in the habit of doing it yourself.
    • Thanks,
      jim
  • Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Thanks for the info that's a big step but it would be nice to offer it and have monthly income coming in like Cliff said to pay for my hosting which is JustHost so I'm use to using cpanel.

As always I thank you for the information, there is always so many questions trying to get this business thing going.

Thanks
      Kent
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• It is a lot to deal with at first. It's good to test things out on your own sites or test installations, setting those up on your account will give you a good idea of what's involved. Once you have some plans set up, creating accounts for your clients is pretty easy. Good luck. :D
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• It is a lot of long nights getting everything configured the exact way you want things.

I have a dedicated server running Plesk (not cPanel) with a WHMCS install and I use Paypal and Googlecheckout for billing and invoicing.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4
    • Ben Simon
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-time web developer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago
    • Super fast data center + Linux + cPanel/WHM + WHMCS = Best hosting on the planet.
      (I also implement VPS's and Exchange but the majority of my business is the config above)

I also hired myself as admin and I'd have to say I do a great job. :cheesy:

But seriously most of my clients have stories of bouncing around between hosts for years. Its always one thing or the other. They like me because they can get in touch with me anytime (my larger clients even have my mobile number), they can negotiate prices bases on their specific needs as to avoid paying for useless cookie cutter options, and the list go's on. I also been a reseller for two hosts mentioned here already and I still prefer managing the server myself. To me its worth managing the servers.

Just my 2c.
    • B e courteous to staff and members that volunteer their time helping you
      E ssential Tool - FireBug
      N ever assume I know what version you're talking about

S earch the forum for a solution first
      I nclude a link to the problem
      M ark your resolved issues as [SOLVED]
      O nly PM moderators if they request it first
      N o...

Posted 12 years 2 months ago
    • Crazy question, just purchased reseller package and setting it up, going to transfer my site to the reseller package and cancel my individual account. Do you set your site up in WHM just like a client or do you use your cpanel?

Thanks,
      Kent

• Hi Kent, Im not an expert, but I thought a bonus of having your own reseller package was that by hosting your own sites there, fees from clients will eventually mean your hosting is free.

Id move my own site there to make things simple
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Kent,

I set my site as per clients. This way I can experience everything a client will experience and it helps me nail down any possible holes in the process.

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

• Haven't had experience with many hosts (just two) but after reading extensively and comparing I have come up with the following hosts (only cared for europe based myself)

simplexwebs.com
      ezpzhosting.co.uk
      040hosting.eu
      eurovps.com
      (and some great deals at server4you.net)

I think it's good practice to find hosts that do not oversell, or just that they don't overdo it...the above fit the bill...
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds