Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Web Service Costs...

• Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Web Service Costs...

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • I don't feel obligated to take all business, but if there is a client that wants to pay you fairly, but is a difficult person, if I do take the project, I add the 'asshole tax'. That's an extra amount, knowing that I'll have a difficult time with that person, but they will pay. Usually I know of the person already.

Also, I ALWAYS get an up front fee. If the client is willing to give you a 3rd or half of the money as down payment, that is added security. Most clients that give you a down payment, will pay you the other part. ALWAYS get a down payment.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• David Goodwin wrote:
      ... I add the 'asshole tax'. That's an extra amount, knowing that I'll have a difficult time with that person, but they will pay.

I like the idea I'll implement this rule :D :D :D :D :D
  • Re: Web Service Costs...

• I don't do web design full time, but I do get the odd job here and there.

I live in Canada in a community where the 'average' job might pay $9-11 per hour. This would be retail work, etc. So I generally charge my clients at a rate of $25, which in this community I find to be just about right. In comparison, computer servicing rates in this area are also at around $20-25 per hour. So i think it is in line.

I always try to make an accurate assesment of what work needs to be done, but I ALWAYS add extra time because clients always seem to come back with more questions, slight changes, etc.

And I ALWAYS (after losing hundreds of dollars one time) get 50% up front and 50% upon completion.

Also, I tell the customer 50% upon completion AND their complete satisfaction. They seem to like that part.

Hope that helps,
      Phil
    • -- ChurchWiz - Easy & Affordable Church Websites
      -- www.churchwiz.com

• David Goodwin wrote:
      I don't feel obligated to take all business, but if there is a client that wants to pay you fairly, but is a difficult person, if I do take the project, I add the 'asshole tax'. That's an extra amount, knowing that I'll have a difficult time with that person, but they will pay. Usually I know of the person already.
      dave

Hehe I would love to see peoples faces if you once tried writing it down on the bill as well...
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Thomas M. Nielsen wrote:
      Hehe I would love to see peoples faces if you once tried writing it down on the bill as well...[asshole tax]

I've been known to hint about that with a client. Seems to quieten them down a bit. They wouldn't like to be included in that catagory. :)

dave
    • Julz

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Track your hours is really important. If you are going to charge a realistic rate then you have to have data on how long previous tasks actually took.

I've discovered a neat online tool for this : www.getharvest.com , but I'm sure there are many others.
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Julian Harley wrote:
      Track your hours is really important. If you are going to charge a realistic rate then you have to have data on how long previous tasks actually took.

I've discovered a neat online tool for this : www.getharvest.com , but I'm sure there are many others.

That is a neat tool. Thanks much, Julian.

dave

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds