Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Web Service Costs...

• Web Service Costs...

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • ok, so I've taken many of Andy's templates, added a few graphics, bought some cheapish hosting, and setup and maintained 4 or 5 sites for friends and family..at no cost, just for fun.

Now I've been asked by a small firm to do the same!! How much do I charge? Well I just don't know..it's always been a hobby.

what do I say? any ideas peeps? the complete service, I'll do everything from register the domain to maintaining the site.

ANY and all help appreciated.

Les
    • ++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start
  • Re: Web Service Costs...

• I also want to know about this. :D
      Please, senior webmasters, designers, programmers, coders, etc..... Could you please Share and teach us about this :D
      Maybe your good experience or bad experience with customers, etc ....
      It's very usefull for us (beginner) to begin from now.... :D :D

Thank You
    • Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by .
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Web Service Costs...

• hi les,
      first, have you registered here:
      www.frappr.com/rockettheme

second and to your question, it all depends on how much time it's going to take and what you value your time at. if you're reselling other services, like domain, hosting and probably email etc. mark it up but not by much

re. your time and where you actually make money you've got 2 ways of approaching it, first on a time basis i.e. per hour and what you've got to figure out is your time worth. the other way is a one off fee, i find wiht one off fee's you tend to end up doing more work as the client will keep stretching. the best way to do it if you're going to charge the one off fee is have a meeting where design, content and all aspects of the site are agreed, you then put together a document that they sign off on. it's easier all round but does carry the risk of more work. however, if they've agreed and signed off on the document you cna then add all additional work outisde of this document will be charged at ... your hourly rate

one thing that is vital to always remember when figuring out how much to charge is that it's a business and they've approached you. dont sell yourself cheap .... if you thinkk $50 per hour quote $50 an hour ....

cheers
    • Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by damo.
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• Hello, Damo

Thank you so much.
      But I dont understand well about "time basis i.e. per hour"
      For example, I hire someone to do my project and pay him per hour. But the problem, he can extend the work time to get more money, right?
      Could you please tell me more details about this, please ?

Thank You
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Sure, it basically comes down to trust. If you hire me to put up a site I'll look at the project (we would have sat down and discussed the whole project) and give you an estimate. That estimate number of hours multiplied by the hourly rate will give you a ballpark figure of what everything will cost.

I'll almost always overestimate and then when finished in 30 hours instead of 40 the client is very happy. A happy client is a returning client!

But it is a trust thing ...
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• damo wrote:

Thanks Damo..added to Frappr now :D

Many thanks for the comments, certainly helps put random thoughts into perspective. I was not thinking from a business perspective, purely because I've only got domain space for a couple more sites ::) but you are right neither should I sell my time too cheaply!

ohhh decisions decisions.
    • ++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• As the old saying goes, "You don't get what your worth. You get what you negotiate".

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

• My personal preference is a one time fee.
      You let them know what they will get for that fee and then thats it. Make sure that this is as detailed as possible. For instance if you need to modify a complete template you could have different types of fees.
      A cheap one that gives the customer a template change and perhaps an option to change a small thing or two and then it's done. A more expensive version where the customer is allowed to "say more" and get several edits. Belive me this is very important as I have tried working with people where a template change took an hour, and others took several days.
      When the job is done make sure that any extra services are to be negotiated as well.
      But as mentioned earlier - some clients try to stretch it what they can so make sure that the services included are non negotiable and well defined.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by .
    • Youyou
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I want to precise you to not sell your time too cheaper ...
      Some people are always asking for less money to pay >:(
      You precise them the price you want by estimating the time you will spend and you make a proposition.
      If they found it is too expensive, leave them alone try to do the things by themselves.
      As that they will realise that what they ask is really difficult and perhaps they will come back.

I want also take the occasion of telling you of what I call the never-satisfied-people.
      Some guys are for example asking you to implement stylechanger and menus for many colors... lot of hard and long stuff.
      You do it and send them the zip.
      After, they tell you that they are really satisfied but they need anything else they have seen in another site.
      But they don't pay you and you are obliged to remember they must pay you.
      So they pay you and add 5-10 Euros to the normal amount and tell you that they have send you additionnal money for doing small other little changes ...
      However, these very little change are never little. Sometimes they ask you again incredible things ...
      I personnaly disapprouve the way some people use to always pay less money !
      I had the impression that is an habit among web-developper ???

So Be prudent ... ;D
    • Last Edit: 17 years 7 months ago by Youyou.
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I agree with the comments here. Until few times ago, I made some websites for Portugal. It's not a rich country in Europe and I based the price of the websites on the monthly income of the peoples in Portugal. The result: a lot of work and few $ :D
      I changed my strategy now. I ask for a price based on a real estimation of time that I will spend to build the site. If the customer think it's too expensive, I say bye bye :D but I don't accept less money for the job.
      Another thing is important. You MUST define at the begining all your work and tell them what you will do. ie: in general, if the site is not an CMS, I include 3 updates of contents during 3 month for free (if it's needed to update the text or pictures) but after this period... the customer must pay if he want change the content!
      I had some dificulties with a customer from Portugal about this matter... but he know now that I don't work for nothing!!!

Build a site is not a virtual but a real job!!!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds