Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

New template frequency?

• New template frequency?

Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    • Acronym has been available for a while.

When is a new theme coming out? It used to be one per month. Is it still?

I look forward to seeing a downloadable particle library so we can improve out client sites with all those cool particles.

Thanks.
    • Gws
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: New template frequency?

• Re: New template frequency?

• Over the last two days I've read all of the posts on this thread. Empowermom has been around these halls since RT began and, to say I get emotional about them is an understatement. Here's why:

After hand coding sites from scratch since it was possible to do so (aging myself here) I discovered Joomla. Being used to nice designs but having to delve into code again to customize them... wellllllllllllllll, I discovered template AND extension providers.

I landed here around 2006 and I haven't looked back.... and believe me, I have tested and still test all the major extension/template providers. Every time I land on my favorite developer's couch, Rocket Theme. I've got a worn and weathered chair here and I sit back to get my daily dose of news and updates. I also have alot of fun 'cause I love all my peeps here but that's personal and I'll leave that part out.

Since their earlier days, I learned more about Joomla at Rocket Theme than I did on the official Joomla site and I still do. The standards here were set very high for us old timers and, agree or not, it continues to this day. Because of this, I thought I would throw out a few statistics for people to ponder before complaining about service and release dates.

Part I - Joomla Version History

1. There have been 13 Major versions of Joomla.
        2. There has been a total of 100 Major/Minor versions in total.
        3. End of Life Cycles for various versions of Joomla began around December 2012

ALL template/extension providers were kickin' it old school to keep up with each version and support all versions of Joomla. The cross-reference on all the major/minor versions coupled with all the provider's extension updates was nothing short of a coding nightmare for a while... for EVERYONE.

Part II -Now let's toss in TEMPLATES

RT currently supports 72 templates in varying versions of Joomla, not to mention multiple versions of RT's frameworks.

As of today:

There are 138,315 users registered in the forums
      There are 18 Sections with 985 Categories to monitor
      We have 7 Moderators who manage to respond to every one of them with little exception.

So look at the numbers. That's 19,759 users per Mod and their work includes keeping up with duplicated threads.

III - Joomla Providers Melt-Down

Towards the end of 2012, the multiple versions of Joomla and resultant updates to third party providers took down some very popular providers and sent thousands of site owners scrambling for better options.

Despite their best efforts, some highly reputable third party providers sank like lead, taking with them many developers who depended on their product lines. Others were just barely able to hang on. Some competitors were able to stay in the game and some are only now recuperating.

Extension updates weren't coming fast enough - if at all. Template production had slowed to a snail's pace, but not at RT. Through MOST of this, RT has remained steadfast and rarely misses a stride.

Why? Every one of those 100 versions had come with a new learning curve for every user of Joomla.

Along about Joomla! 3.x, there were so many versions of Joomla floating around and users wouldn't or couldn't upgrade. That meant upkeep on the whole ball of wax and added to revision and support responsibilities by all aftermarket providers.

Our developer staff is what?..... 7 developers counting KAT05 spearheading QA (testing) all these fine templates. And God Bless Marge on Membership services for which I can only guess the headaches she has in answering complaints and calming people down with logic.

SUMMARY

Coupled with coding, numbers and statistics, people forget that learning all the ins and out of Joomla includes the developers... all of them. They are the ones who keep our sites humming.

Like doctors, lawyers, accountants, and other professions, all Joomla site developers, designers and marketers need to keep up with CLC's (Continued Learning Credits) as well as periodicals, associations, learning seminars and trends to keep up. Then they have to apply this knowledge to their craft. If that "craft" involves support for clients, welllll, do the math.

Only the few, the proud and the fearless can continue doing this on a long term basis without burn-out. RT seems to have everything under control with ony a few glitches here and there. After 10 years of evaluating, I can honestly say we are getting the very best deal you can get on our templates and extensions. And I don't care what anyone says, I am here to say for a FACT they have the very best support you can get anywhere hands down.

While I don't like delays, I consider all the above and think how lucky we are Rocket Theme survived all the slumps and humps during the birthing pains of a growing, global organization. RT has handled every single concern I ever had (other than my bitchin' about release dates.. and YES, I do THAT too! LOL). I am thankful they are still producing and I am positive, that with time, they will get back to a normal production schedule.

After the carnage I have witnessed the last 2.5 years, it's my humble opinion RT has done a phenominal job and I'm keeping my hat on RT's hat rack. (If anyone touches that hat, well... you don't wanna' know.)

So to all the ENTIRE staff who stuck it out during difficult times I say, with heartfelt salutations and commendations,
      THANK YOU, thaaaaaaaaaank you,
      OH YEA and a Yep, yep yep!
      I LOVE YOU

If you agreee, tell them so. Our team works hard and deserve our praise along with our criticism. There ARE people behind those screen names.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Empowermom. Reason: typo - at least one of them anyway
    • The following users have thanked you: Trevor Smith, Kat05, Adam L. Lewis

• wombat
    • Rocketeer

• lol Empowermom, that was very well said

I am one that moans and groans quite a bit, but the only reason for that is because we were kind of kept in the dark. That is starting to change here at RT and I think it is a big step forward. Ryan (and Kat during his abscence) are doing a great job letting us know what is going on about delays. I hope this continues. I would also like to know what I am getting for the money that I pay, when I say this I mean how many Templates each year. If there are delays, and we are told about them, most would be calmed. Problem is that since November/December the releases were always later than the goal that RT set. Many were/are unsatisfied, but Ryan did his best to answer all questions, and most of us realize in the meantime that he has been doing a very good job and also agrees on some of what has been said.

I have also been here for quite a while, but do not post much. I was VERY criticall a few months ago, but since then things have been changing and I like what I see. Everyone needs to decide for themselves if they renew their Subscription or not. For some reason I keep renewing mine.

1. I believe in RT (although it was difficult at the end of last year)
      2. I know RT can do BETTER and that RT also wants to be better
      3. Although I do not have very many support questions, I know that RT will help me if I have one (even if it has nothing to do with RT Templates or Extensions)
      4. RT has kept the pace with every joomla update, any problems found were fixed within a day (maybe 2 days)

Now, as a paying member here, I have to say that we have not been getting what we are paying for as far as Templates are concerned. It went from 1 per month, to 1 every 4 to 6 weeks. That is okay as far as I am concerned, but RT has had problems keeping to this. This has caused a lot of people to worry. Ryan has already explained the reasons for all this, and why there have been setbacks.

In the last month, we have gotten 2 or 3 updates about the Template from Ryan, and Kat also gave one at the beginning of this week. As I stated other posts, we may not all be happy, but we know what is going on when we get these updates. Since we are getting these updates, I may not be happy, but I can live with it. I know there is a reason for the delay, I know what is being done about it, and I know that the RT Team is doing everything they can to go forward.

This delay also brings back memories from long ago. Everything that we are hearing about the next release has been good, without revealing anything. Everyday before work, I turn my computer on and the first stop ist RT - is the new Template there? - everday when I come home from work I turn on my computer, where do I go first - RT. A couple of years ago it was like this every month. Most of the Templates were nothing I could use, but there was always something new, innovative, or different that I could use with other templates. Although I do not want the releases to be this far away from each other, I think that, with the Info that we have gotten so far, everyone is as anxiously awaiting this release as I am. Hoping for something new and different.

So, as Empowermom said, Thank you RT and the entire Staff here, but be warned, the next release will be very critically looked at ;)
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by wombat.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab, Kat05, Grzegorz Wójcik

• dierk
    • Rocketeer

• Ok, but a 6 to 9 weeks interval is a bit too long.
      What about the idea modifying older existing templates to a new look to bridge the time gap?

• wombat wrote:
      but be warned, the next release will be very critically looked at ;)

As IF they aren't scrutinized already? Wombat... keep saying tHaT and we'll never get a release!

I have a dream. I float into a small hut somewhere in the Swedish Alps on a dark and chilly night. I float up into the attic. There I see a small fire and icicles forming on the window. There sits Kat05 bent over a small creaky wooden desk with a laptop, an oil lamp and spotty wi-fi. After frantically testing 25 template updates and a brand new shiny sparkly prefect theme she has given her stamp of approval. She smiles as she is ready to hit the send button.

In bursts Sam and Dean! Lo and behold, right behind them bursts Inspector Wombat in his Official handy dandy RT Inspector's hat and his GIANT magnifying glass. Poor Kat sits there, shivering and shaking and her finger freezes.

Fade to black. Fade back in to bursting flames as F5 buttons explode the world round!

Have a nice evening all! I am.
    • The following users have thanked you: Kat05

• dierk wrote:
      Ok, but a 6 to 9 weeks interval is a bit too long.
      What about the idea modifying older existing templates to a new look to bridge the time gap?

It may take a little longer for RT to get back in the groove and on track with planning and scheduling. Have you seen the updates from March and April? That's some pretty impressive work and that's just the Joomla club. Granted it's been slow, but it's been that way with all providers. I don't think they "plan" on taking this long. Things happen (always last minute) and it's back to the drawing board.

I believe RT should consider giving the loyal members who have stayed through the pains of change and transitions slowly losing some of the benefits we "once" enjoyed would be a nice gesture. Or maybe one free year for the plan you were on during the last year... something like that.

I for one give two thumbs up on the older templates being upgraded to Gantry 5 but I see why they don't. Gantry 4 templates are still being updated. You'll find you can duplicate many Gantry 4 themes with Gantry 5 now. I do miss the jazzy navbars like Dominion and others but where would they start when we are continually asking for newer ones?

Anyway, given their history and how impatient I am, I am still willing to wait as long as it takes (well, not forever okay).

Good things take time. I'm guessing they shot for excellence and that took longer. Patience is a virtue I am often short on but hey, we are all in this boat together.

Now relax, turn off the lights and watch Netflix for a bit. Destress. Give your F5 a rest. Come back tomorrow when you are both well rested and happy again. Bring beer and a snorkel! I imagine there will be many swimming in these waters tomorrow.

Have a nice evening.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds