0 items Join Now

Open letter to Ryan et al.

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Re: Open letter to Ryan et al.

Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    • WebTread wrote:
      Obviously not today but it kind of feels to me and others that "tackle down the road" is exactly a statement we don't want to hear and we are trying to express this in earnest. I hope like cream this blind spot in Gantry 5 rises to the top of the list. It means more than one more awesome feature I know the team is working on. No disrespect here. Just that it is a lacking must to be prime time and maybe the developers feel their one more thing is more important but to many of us it isn't.

Thanks again Ryan and wishing you and your family the best in the coming weeks.

I understand. We want the import/export feature in there too. But at the same time, it's a huge undertaking that will require time and resources to accomplish.

A lot of pieces would need to be in place to make it work. I'll be frank, I'm not a developer so I couldn't speak to exactly what the challenges are on the development front, but I do know there would need to be some changes in place throughout Gantry 5 in order to ensure that import/export works consistently. We're a small team, and that means having to manage our resources.

Just in this thread alone, we are hearing about how people are dissatisfied with turnaround times for templates. In order to speed that up, we have focused all of our attention on getting the template done. Once we're done with that, another template is on the workbench needing work.

Meanwhile, there is a list of things people have requested for Gantry 5 that still need to be done. We've closed over 1,600 tickets since Gantry 5 launched and there are still 170+ of them in the queue. Each of these issues are critical to the people that are requesting them.

Import/export has always been one of our big goals for Gantry 5. We want to get it done. I just couldn't give you any sort of time frame right now with so many moving pieces already in play.

The good news is that a lot of work HAS been done towards making this happen. You can find it in the Gantry 5 project right now. It's just getting these pieces together and adding the ones that still need to be worked in... that's going to take some time. We want it to happen, and it is a priority, but right now there is a lot on the plate that needs to get done.

Additional Thought

One thing to keep in mind is that Gantry 5 is an open source project. We would be thrilled if a developer familiar with it wanted to pitch in and help tackle bringing this feature to life. This is one reason we added Gantry to GitHub and made it an open project.

Gantry 5 has certainly benefitted from community-submitted contributions in the past, and will likely continue to do so throughout its existance.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Ryan M Pierson.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
  • Re: Open letter to Ryan et al.

• radek
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Ryan

about particle (for example Inspiretheme) - it is not good if somebody comes up with anything and somebody else makes it even better and has a profit from it... RT made a mistake. You could already have something similar as Inspiretheme.

And I agree with WebTread. G5 is is even harder for me then G4. And particle copy is not very easy - it did not work because some part of the codes for several times. I am only advanced user of Joomla not a coder. G5 can be good for coders etc. but is is not easy for users. I already told you few times to have a look how Pagebuilder works. It is very easy and quick for everybody and I think the Pagebuilder is new way.
    • oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I started whit RT. Before i have no idea what </p> was, i learn whit them, so I'm not so good and code for me is </skorpion> :)

Btw after 2 days that i used G5 I find easy and fast.

Where some find is difficult, really I have no idea.

I think most wrong....all you want to do you must learn, reading the articles that explain to you how to use it.

Many just think to open the G5 template and play wht it, is not like that :).

Oppss about pagebuilder, is like use WP, you can use it but don't think to do complex website like whit joomla.

You can use PB but don't think you can made a joomla website complex same whit G5.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by oceano.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• mundogame.com wrote:
      If you make a similar System inside Rockettheme.com, really can improve the comunication with your Customers. (Completed, Planned, Considered, Started, etc)

The next version of the RocketTheme website is another big project in our list. :) We're a very small team, though, and the second we start working on it folks will complain we're not working on a dozen other projects that they want more.

We're working, though. :) This is a neat suggestion and one I'm sure the team will consider - if they aren't already.
      radek wrote:
      about particle (for example Inspiretheme) - it is not good if somebody comes up with anything and somebody else makes it even better and has a profit from it... RT made a mistake. You could already have something similar as Inspiretheme.

InspireTheme is a great company lead by an incredibly talented developer. We communicate with them regularly in regards to Gantry 5. We don't, however, agree that we made a mistake. We have limited human resources to assign to these tasks and we made a decision at the time that was the best one we felt we could make.

A mistake? We don't think so, knowing what we know about what would be involved in making this work for all of the supported CMS and how we would want the solution to ultimately work. We can patch together something that works for us and our themes alone, or we could take time and make changes to Gantry itself that makes this super easy for everyone.

InspireTheme has their own solution and it works great for them. We're thrilled that they're doing what they're doing and having success.

• Hi Ryan,

have you read my suggestion?

Instead of going through all the templates why is there not a complete overview over the different particles?
      What is so difficult of doing this?

I personally find it really great how Inspiretheme does this.

And with every particle there could be links to the different templates where this specific particle is used.

In my opinion this is how it should be done how the normal customer would get an overview of what can be achieved with particles.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Björn Hallier wrote:
      have you read my suggestion?

Yes, I replied to you here
      Björn Hallier wrote:
      Instead of going through all the templates why is there not a complete overview over the different particles?
      What is so difficult of doing this?

Every template has its own particles, some of them have customized versions of particles that were introduced in previous templates. If we were to say "Acronym has X particle, and so does Sienna and Citadel." we would have to say something more like "Acronym has x particle with two additional fields that aren't on Sienna. Sienna has the same particle, but it has 3 fields that differ from both Acronym and Citadel."

We make every template different, and every template's version of a premium particle can differ. Not always, but a lot of the time.

If we made the particles the exact same on every template that features them... we could totally do that.

• An informative section inside Rockettheme.com, where we can gather all the particles, can help with this. For example can be a screenshot of the installed Template with Gantry 5, in the same section we can see the particles.

For the extended use of each particle, a little link to the Documentation section of each template: http://www.rockettheme.com/docs/joomla/templates/callisto .

In this manner, we can see all the particles included with Gantry 5, and with each template. In a rapid view, i think Gantry 5 have more than 100 different particles, counting different variations or personalizations to each template. This talk very much, about the powerfull of the Gantry Platform, but in the same way, about the difficulty to find the correct particle for a personalized design of a website, which can help Rockettheme and us ;)

This task (phase 1), can be a good movement to collect all the particle info, and in the next phase with more calm and testing, trying to study where implement them (phase 2). And the possibility to make them available for all templates (Phase 3).
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by mundogame.com.

• Hello JMDonald,

my englisch is also not the best.

But i totally agree with you! One Joomla Template in about 8 Weeks is inacceptable for Customers that have a Subscription.

Thank You!

• 1. Pagebuilder from joomshaper.com is much weaker than G5. Unfortunately at this point the templates are better.

2. I agree that InspireTheme does with Gantry5 cool stuff.
      - Using particles as usual modules is easier for beginners. It works like in Gantry4.
      - They give all the particles in each template.
      - The default template is very extensive. Always the same layout. This helps if we change the template. So it was in your Gantry 4 templates.
      - I like CSS styles in the Layout Gantry5. InspireTheme adds CSS styles from module level. This is easier for beginners.
      - Some items in the Gantry 5 InspireTheme have been greatly improved - the style tab is great.

You need a library of particles.

For people who want to buy 1 template and make their website on it - it will be easier on the InspireTheme template.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds