Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Open letter to Ryan et al.

• oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Open letter to Ryan et al.

Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    • Last question at all, which is the logic of sell the stand alone template at the same price of 3 month subscrition?

Thank you
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• oceano wrote:
      Last question at all, which is the logic of sell the stand alone template at the same price of 3 month subscrition?

Thank you

You get the stand alone template, updates, and support for life. Subscriptions end and you lose these things if you don't renew.
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
    • radek
    • Elite Rocketeer

• You are right but as I wrote earlier. Formerly I paid less and I got 12 templates per year. Now I have to pay more and I will get maybe 6 maybe 8 template per year. It is not good solution.
    • oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I point about that before same many, but, you know, don't touch money:).

In the last year i don't use some of the template, for me are useless also, so I paid for nothing, asking a " secret " and tell us what kind of templates are realised, news, hotel, music ecc seem is impossible to know, so sometime we paid for noting at the end.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• radek wrote:
      You are right but as I wrote earlier. Formerly I paid less and I got 12 templates per year. Now I have to pay more and I will get maybe 6 maybe 8 template per year. It is not good solution.

Our product has always been you get a subscription and that gives you access to our entire library of templates, downloads, updates, support and any new templates we make during your subscription. The product is support and updates, which we do both of in abundance.

New templates have never been guaranteed at a specific rate, and while we had internal goals of releasing one monthly or every 4-6 weeks, it was never part of the subscription terms. At least, it hasn't been during my time with RocketTheme.

Trust us when we say that releasing new templates is important to us. It's how we make money. A new template generates sales and keeps our members happy. But at the same time, and you can check the forum's history, complaints about templates being underwhelming or not having enough features would follow every time we rushed to meet a deadline.

So we stopped trying to meet a self-imposed deadline. That was an internal change. You still have access to our entire library of templates. You still get support whenever you need it. You still get updates regularly. I posted a list earlier in this thread of the updates we released in a single week. It's pretty extensive.

It's really up to you to determine if buying single templates that you enjoy so you get lifetime access to support, updates, and download is a better deal than the ongoing subscription.

On our end, like I said so many times before in this thread and others, we are taking steps to speed up turnaround of new templates. This particular template was an anomoly. We had issues with the design, and now we're working through developing features for it we haven't had in any RocketTheme templates before. It's special, and bigger than anything we've released this year.

So, it takes time. We're terribly sorry for the delay.
  • Re: Open letter to Ryan et al.

• One point I can't understand at all here at RocketTheme:

why is there absolutely no overview over the particles???

In every template there is a new particle or variations of it and absolutely noone can oversee the differences and what they are for.

Just look at InspireThemes and their particles page:
      www.inspiretheme.com/gantry5-particles

This is how it should be done! And here at Rockettheme!

You can get a demo of every particle and can download it. Why in God's name is that not possible here at RocketTheme?

In Gantry4 days there were pages for all the extensions, the documentation for them etcpp and nowadays there is nothing. Why?

I don't mind copying the neccessary files to my own project (though I don't understand why there is still no import / export after more than 2 years!), however looking in every template which particle can be used for what is really not convenient for your customers at all).

Make an overview page for the particles and explain where the differences are (some are for images, some for articles) and your customers will become happier again.

And as I remember once it was said there should be integration of TinyMCE or a smaller WYSIWYG editor, still no sign of it.

These are points which make me more and more annoyed (as a long time customer of RocketTheme and really every template looks the same except the frontpage).

I like Gantry5 and the concept behind it and I can understand why Grav and Wordpress become more and more important for the revenue, however I am a Joomla user and for me there is no reason to change the CMS.
      But for a "normal" user Gantry5 is really complex and after 2 years of development there are still a lot of basics missing (at least regarding the convience of using Gantry5).

In my opinion you shouldn't develep any new particles if the basics of importing / exporting and overview pages are still missing.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Björn Hallier.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Björn Hallier wrote:
      why is there absolutely no overview over the particles???

Make an overview page for the particles and explain where the differences are (some are for images, some for articles) and your customers will become happier again.

Have you visited the template demos? Navigate to Features > Particles and you'll see a breakdown of each template-specific particle where you can see what it looks like, what it does, etc.

I also write documentation for each premium particle along with every template . Just look at the left-hand side under the "Template Particles" section. I break down every field, what it does, etc.

As for variations, we have a page in every demo detailing different block variations .

I wouldn't say there is "absolutely no" overview of particles.
    • Grant
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Development

• Ryan again thank you for being on top of answering the questions posted and I'm sure we will all miss you as you spend time with your new arrival Luke in short order. I would like to ask if you'd be so kind as to whom may we ask at RocketTheme about implementing a Particle import feature into Gantry 5 sooner rather than later?

As others have stated and I've experienced personally, it's not that hard to copy over the files. But the average user doesn't do all that and installing an extention or plugin or component in all CMS's is standard fare. Particles are essentially module replacements in many cases. Why is it so low on the list of things to improve about Gantry 5 that there seems to be this disconnect between the Engineers and end users?

Can you address this and help us move this up the list before your time off? Thanks again and much respect to all the hard work you and every RocketTheme Team Member puts in to bring us the best of breed. I'm completely pro RT and can't see not being a Subscriber any time in my future.

Sincerely,

Grant

• Love Joomla! & RocketTheme.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Grant,
      It is certainly high on our list of to-dos for Gantry 5. I passed along your feedback to the team.
    • Grant
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Development

• Thank you Ryan for your direct response to my question and your passing this on to the team.

I guess the concern in my mind and perhaps others was your statement...

"What you're suggesting is a Particle marketplace where you can download particles individually and apply them to a theme. Otherwise, we're creating these particles with their own unique styling for every individual template...which ups the amount of development time required.

We have said in the past that this idea is on the list of ones we'd like to tackle down the road. It won't happen today, though."

Obviously not today but it kind of feels to me and others that "tackle down the road" is exactly a statement we don't want to hear and we are trying to express this in earnest. I hope like cream this blind spot in Gantry 5 rises to the top of the list. It means more than one more awesome feature I know the team is working on. No disrespect here. Just that it is a lacking must to be prime time and maybe the developers feel their one more thing is more important but to many of us it isn't.

Thanks again Ryan and wishing you and your family the best in the coming weeks.

• Love Joomla! & RocketTheme.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds