Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5 Error Again

• Doreen
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 Error Again

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Thanks Mark!

1) I tried twice to update to the latest Galatea template. Each time, any overrides that I had made to each of the templates was lost. Only the CSS changes that I had made in my custom.scss file were still in tact. Hence the reason I went back to the first version of the template. It will take considerable time for me to go back into each template to record the overrides I had created so I can recreate them after update the template to the current version - which I will do, but not for a few days.

2) The reason for all the templates is that my client wants different menus and modules to show up in their different sections. And rather than having a never-ending page of modules and particles in one template, I had thought it would be easier to have a different template for each section of the site. Other times I've used RT templates it has gotten annoying to have to scroll up the page to find the "+" to add more particles/modules to a heavily used position in the template, as well as, annoying to have to look through the never ending list of particles/modules when trying to figure out which one I needed - even when naming each one. With the use of the different templates, it is quick and easy to find what I need or add something new.

3) I did clear to my cache - both the system and the expired cache, as well as shut down my browser everytime - so I'm not sure why I experienced the duplication error and have my doubts that it is a browser cache issue. And I was able to reproduce it yet again right now - very odd. But now I know that if I just resort the list alphabetically, the issue will fix itself.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

That said, thank you for taking the time to look into this issue. I won't create another ticket again now that I know how to "fix" it.

Doreen
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• 1. "Each time, any overrides that I had made to each of the templates was lost" - can you explain what you mean by that? You mean the extra outlines disappeared? the overrides on the layout disappeared? ... what specifically? can you do me a screenshot to explain so I can better understand.

2. Ok so it's a conscious choice you have made. Personally I'd rather have lots of modules in modules manager in preference to lots of outlines. Were you aware that you can go to a menu item in Joomla menu manager and see a list of all the modules that are assigned to a menu item? (it's quicker that just looking in module manager).

3. I tried what you've told me on your site several times and every time it worked so if you could do me a little video (screencast) that shows me what's happening again that would be very useful as I'd like to solved this if there is a bug. I can see there is an issue from your screenshot but I just can't get it to happen myself.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Doreen
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Sorry for my delay MrT! The last few days have been a whirlwind on my end ;)

1. "Each time, any overrides that I had made to each of the templates was lost" - can you explain what you mean by that? You mean the extra outlines disappeared? the overrides on the layout disappeared? ... what specifically? can you do me a screenshot to explain so I can better understand. - SPECIFICALLY THE HOME PAGE IS WHAT DOESN'T SEEM TO HOLD ITS LAYOUT. I'VE ATTACHED A BEFORE AND AFTER IMAGE TO SHOW YOU WHAT HAPPENS. IN THE MEANTIME, I'VE ONCE AGAIN RESTORED THE SITE TO THE FIRST VERSION OF THE TEMPLATE.

2. Ok so it's a conscious choice you have made. Personally I'd rather have lots of modules in modules manager in preference to lots of outlines. Were you aware that you can go to a menu item in Joomla menu manager and see a list of all the modules that are assigned to a menu item? (it's quicker that just looking in module manager). - YES, I AM, BUT THANK YOU FOR CHECKING WITH ME ;)

3. I tried what you've told me on your site several times and every time it worked so if you could do me a little video (screencast) that shows me what's happening again that would be very useful as I'd like to solved this if there is a bug. I can see there is an issue from your screenshot but I just can't get it to happen myself. - I DID CREATE A SCREENCAST AND THIS TIME EVEN SORTING THE TEMPLATES INTO ALPHABETICAL ORDER DIDN'T WORK. IT STILL SHOWS THE TEMPLATE AS NOT A GANTRY 5 TEMPLATE. I'VE INCLUDED A LINK TO THE SCREENCAST IN THE SECURE SECTION OF THIS MESSAGE.

Thanks again for your help :)
      Doreen
    • Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Doreen. Reason: Updated the link in the secure section to the webcast
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Doreen - I haven't forgotten you - I asked our lead developer to look into this. We've discovered it happens (on your site) when cache is enabled in global configuration. If you have cache disabled the issue does not occur (so that's the work around for now). We're continuing to look into this though, we haven't managed to recreate this ourselves locally yet.

We have disabled cache on your site for now whilst we continue to compare your setup with our own... please leave admin logins active.

I'm also wondering if the other issue you were having were cache related too? Might be worth you trying that out.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Another update - we think we've found out why and I have now raised a github issue https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues/1200 . You can track progress on the issue there.

Regards, Mark.
    • Doreen
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Wow! Thank you so much for chasing this down. You rock MrT!!!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Doreen - Gantry 5 has now been fixed for the problem of duplicating templates (the ticket mentioned). The fix will be in the next release of Gantry 5 but if you want it now you can download and install the latest CI build of Gantry 5 http://gantry.org/downloads#ci-builds .

Regards, Mark.
    • Doreen
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Wow! Thank you again MrT :)
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You're very welcome :) . If you get other issues now please raise a new topic.

Regards, Mark.
    • Doreen
    • Hero Rocketeer

• You got it!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds