Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

• Re: RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    • Update:

I was able to get it working by settting Joomla and JEvents to "UTC" and RokMiniEvents3 to "Server set Timezone".

My times now appear to be displaying correctly however I do not understand why these setting are working and why my original did not.

I am located in Vermont and we are in the America/New_York timeszone so why did those settings not work?

Please enlighten me
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

• TGoodrich wrote:
      Update:

I was able to get it working by settting Joomla and JEvents to "UTC" and RokMiniEvents3 to "Server set Timezone".

My times now appear to be displaying correctly however I do not understand why these setting are working and why my original did not.

I am located in Vermont and we are in the America/New_York timeszone so why did those settings not work?

Please enlighten me
      There are numerous time zones settings in the pipeline of calendar data leaving Google an arriving at a users Computer.
      You have the too generalized settings in Google Calendar -> then your hosting Server -> then DST or not -> then RokMiniEvents -> users computer. For some people the combination of these don't work out and you have these issues. Fortunately for a majority of users all these settings fall into place.

A good example of where it doesn't is Australia where you have Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT), Australian Central Daylight Time (ACDT), Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) and Australian Western Standard Time (AWST). Then on top of this you have where Daylight saving is observed:
      AEDT is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 11 hours (UTC +11).
      ACDT is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 10.5 hours (UTC +10.5)

Obviously the very general dialogue settings in google Calendar basically end up making it like playing Whack-A-Mole for our Australian friends.
  • Re: RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

• Hi Dan,

Thank you for the detailed explanation but i think you missed something in my first post. I am not using google calendar at all. I am creating my events within Joomla using Jevents and then displaying the events with RokMiniEvents3.

Since the events are being created within Joomla/JEvents and the timezones for Joomla, JEvents and RokMiniEvents3 are all set to America/New_York shouldn't RokMiniEvents3 frontend time output be the same as the event time created in JEvents?

If it helps to Solve this my Joomla version is v3.4.1, I am using the latest Jevents and I am also using Gantry 5.0.0-rc.3

PS - You probably misunderstood because the OP's problem had to do with Google. I apologize if I should have created a new thread.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by TGoodrich.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

• TGoodrich wrote:
      Hi Dan,

Thank you for the detailed explanation but i think you missed something in my first post. I am not using google calendar at all. I am creating my events within Joomla using Jevents and then displaying the events with RokMiniEvents3.

Assumptions - bad things. I've always used existing Google Calendars when importing into JEvents.

In your case the best answer I can Google is this from JEvents FAQ page:
      I changed the timezone and the time is still wrong!
      If you are sure you have set the timezone and Summer Time/DST correctly and the time is still incorrect, then the time stored on the server clock is incorrect. Please notify an administrator to correct the problem.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds