• DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

Posted 9 years 11 months ago
    • Matthias Raab wrote:
      Hi Dan,

setting it to Dakar does the job.

Keep you eyes peeled here for the RokMiniEvents update -> http://www.rockettheme.com/product-updates

For now, to mark this issue as Solved, please change to a Checkmark and edit the Topic Title in your 1st post to read
      [SOLVED] Topic Title
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks.
    • Jeff S
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • MAD Media Production

Posted 9 years 1 week ago
    • What is the real issue here? I have problems with this too, and I really don't think setting different "server" time zone settings in the global config is the answer...

If I am in Ottawa, and I set my Global Config server time zone to "Toronto", and my google calendar time zone is set to Eastern (-5) Time zone and I also set Force Time Zone to "Toronto" and my calendar event is set for 7:00pm Eastern Time, RokMiniEvents should show 7:00pm Eastern. I shouldn't have to set my Global Config server time zone to "UTC" (which does show the correct event time in RokMiniEvents 3) to get the correct event times in the module.

I think maybe part of the problem is the time zone the "physical" server is in? Although, I did edit my php.ini file to include in the section the following:
      [Date]
      date.timezone = "America/Toronto"

Also, just an FYI... the Link to Google -> link external still links internally and does not open in a new window/tab - I had to manually edit the code to include target="_blank"
    • Jeff
      Maximum-Aperture.ca
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Shibumi Design Studios wrote:
      I think maybe part of the problem is the time zone the "physical" server is in? Although, I did edit my php.ini file to include in the section the following:
      [Date]
      date.timezone = "America/Toronto"

Just use our search forum -> Search by User Name: DanG -- Search by Keyword: RokMiniEvents
      and you'll find tons of solutions as they vary wildly depending on the mebers setup.
      The physical server is an important point but it seems to me the way Google has structured the API there is no setting that will show the same results globally :(
      If your Google setup is correct and RokMiniEvents is correct and I know yours are, then faking a time zone seems to be the best compromise. Here's another members solution that showed promise for some members issue -> http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/joomla-extension-rokminievents/233169-wrong-time-australia-melbourne?start=20#1160975

If you think the Google API Calendar is bad here your wrong - pity the poor Aussies :(
      Shibumi Design Studios wrote:
      Also, just an FYI... the Link to Google -> link external still links internally and does not open in a new window/tab - I had to manually edit the code to include target="_blank"
      This is Googles doing. They decided that it is better for the uset to choose a new tab or window so we at Rockettheme don't use target="_blank" as a default parameter.
    • Jeff S
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • MAD Media Production

• Hey Dan,

So, I take it most of the problems are with the Google API then?

What I don't understand, if you have Force Timezone set in the RokMiniEvents module, WHY doesn't it use that? Is it the way that RokMiniEvents reads the timestamp from Google? It is also baffles me that if my Google event is set in Eastern Time zone, even if your global config was something other than Eastern, should it not show the time zone that the event is actually set in?? For example, even if my hosting server is in Denver, CO - and I am in Vancouver BC, but my google calendar is set to America/Toronto time zone, would it not make more sense to show the time zone beside the time: Friday, April 17, 2015 at 7:00pm EDT??

Maybe it is Google, but it would be nice to have it show the timezone, so at least people would know what timezone the event is in...

Cheers
    • Jeff
      Maximum-Aperture.ca
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Shibumi Design Studios wrote:
      Maybe it is Google, but it would be nice to have it show the timezone, so at least people would know what timezone the event is in...

I spent a month on this...countless posts when we brought the new version of RokMiniEvents to match Googles API.

So here's the story... I had access to users Google and Admin accounts and both were setup properly
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

However these particular users were based in Australia that has 3 different DaylightSavings TimeZones. So it didn't matter if any one of those users had the correct setup as users looking in from the other two DaylightSavings TimeZones would NOT see the correct time. This is a shortcoming of the Google API.
    • zionram
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    • Hey Dan..please help as im having the same issue with the timezone problem....two test events ive created in Google Calander show in the title the correct time...see Screenshot...
      You are not authorised to see this attachment.

In Google I have the sime set for TEST 6-7 for 6PM to 7PM but youll see in actual event listing it shows 5PM to 6PM and same for other event... please help!! I need the Eastern time zone (Atlanta GA) for every event for my site...I included details for login in Secure section...thanks for any help you can give on this!
    • zionram
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Wow...so much for good Support at Rockethemes ...... I will never use a Rocket Theme template again.. Beware all new users... You may buy into plugins from RT that eventually stop working and then RT staff will refuse to help you...or beter yet...they probably will just flat out ignore you. Take this post for an example...you will see that the only response I recieved was "Search The forums" after buying RT subscriptions multible times. Sad sad. I even provisioned a user account for them to use to figure out the issue...still being ignored
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• zionram wrote:
      Wow...so much for good Support at Rockethemes ...... I will never use a Rocket Theme template again.. Beware all new users... You may buy into plugins from RT that eventually stop working and then RT staff will refuse to help you...or beter yet...they probably will just flat out ignore you. Take this post for an example...you will see that the only response I recieved was "Search The forums" after buying RT subscriptions multible times. Sad sad. I even provisioned a user account for them to use to figure out the issue...still being ignored

You haven't followed ANY of the instructions here " Your Guide to Using RokMiniEvents for Joomla "

1) In RokMiniEvents you have the Google calendar disabled and the Calendar ID is blank
      2) In RokMiniEvents you have the JEvents Calendar enabled but in the JEvents settings you have it turned OFF.
      3) You http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ca/media/mod_rokminievents/API.p12 returns a 404 error so the Google API will NEVER function on your site. Check the pernissions on the folder and file.

In short there is nothing wrong with RokMiniEvents - this is a issue between the Google API and YOUR server so there's not a lot we can do. None of the links I mentioned above where users have resolved there issues had nothing to do with bugs in RokMiniEvents or modifying it in anyway. Those links I sent you to look at at the RokMiniEvents guide have all the info on what you need to correct your site settings.

I would suggest to you that if none of the information here has helped you than go on the Google forums - you'll find a lot of info there.

This should net you a lot of information -> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=google+API+calendar+server+wrong+time&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl
  • Re: RokMiniEvents3 Server timing issue reading Google Calendar

• Hi,

I am having the same issues as the above posters but I am using RokMiniEvents3 with JEvents.

I have Joomla config, JEvents and RokMiniEvents3 set to America/New_York for timezone yet RokMiniEvents3 displayed hours are off by -4:00hrs

If I use JEvents own module the times are displayed correctly.

Am I missing something?

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds