Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

How to Upgrade a Template [OBSOLETE INFORMATION NOW]

• nethead
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: How to Upgrade a Template [OBSOLETE INFORMATION NOW]

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • If I "upgrade" as suggested in the initial posting here, i.e. by uninstalling the template and re-installing it, I LOOSE MY COMPLETE TEMPLATE (gantry) CONFIGURATION :oops: :evil: I wonder what u understand under "upgrade", this describes a REINSTALL...

If i just untar the files into the rt_somaxian_j15 folder it doesnt work.

-- nethead -
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Yes, you do need to note your settings for the template if you are upgrading by uninstalling the template and re-installing the template.

The reason for this is that it uninstalls from your database also. If it doesn't uninstall from your database, you end up with junk listed throughout your admin area and also scraps in your database that build up and cannot be removed easily.

Updating Gantry just requires installing the new gantry version right over what you have.

Please also see this blog post for detailed instructions about updating customized templates:

http://www.rockettheme.com/blog/coding/395-updating-a-template-even-after-customisation
  • Re: How to Upgrade a Template [OBSOLETE INFORMATION NOW]

• Quick Question: If I already have done a lot of customization how do I upgrade without having to redo all of it. Jomsocial is telling me their product doesn't work on your template because its not the latest version of the template. The template I am using is Quantitative 1.5.4, July 19.

Thanks!
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Frances Munoz wrote:
      Quick Question: If I already have done a lot of customization how do I upgrade without having to redo all of it. Jomsocial is telling me their product doesn't work on your template because its not the latest version of the template. The template I am using is Quantitative 1.5.4, July 19.

Thanks!

www.rockettheme.com/blog/coding/395-upda...-after-customisation
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • cicibar
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• OK so I made a few custom changes to my Quantive template. Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.5.4.

Followed instructions for manual upgrade to preserve some custom changes. I unzipped the template pack and transferred files as indicated within changelog to proper directory through Filezilla.

I must have missed something... template manager functions like menu controls, layout sliders were not working, the login feature was not lined up on webpage, etc... so what to do?

Other upgrade instructions were to change the default template and then uninstall, reinstall... which I did and I would prefer at this point... and spend my time reworking my custom edits, rather than trying to figure out what I did wrong manually.

So the question is, what are the presets for.... is it not possible to preserve presets when "upgrading"?
      Suggestions please?
      _Cindy
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Presets will stay if you are just FTP-ing the files over the old files. The presets are stored in the database. If you uninstall the template through the admin backend, it will also delete the database information.

Leaving this information in the database after uninstall is a sort of shortcut that a lot of developers use to allow for upgrades, but in reality, it's really bad for a website. What happens is the files are gone and after uninstall, you don't see it in your backend anymore, BUT, you still have all that junk in your database. For that reason, things are deleted on uninstall.

One thing I do when upgrading with a full uninstall and re-install, is to take a screenshot of my settings and presets for everything before uninstalling.
    • cicibar
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• OK, yes, that's helpful, thank you very much.

Posted 13 years 4 months ago
    • I made this...and downloaded the standalone template, and followed the process (1st process)...
      ...but after all done and when accessing the website it gave a blank / white page.

*Had to restore a backup.

=> will still try again and see it better what's wrong and / or what i might have done wrong!
    • www.galaxiaband.com
      www.mdracers.com

Posted 13 years 2 months ago
    • well tested once more....

downloaded the Dominion Template (Standalone), done as said on 1st post...but when accessing website, all i get is a blank / white page!!! :shock:

Any clues on this!?

Thanks in advanced 8)
    • www.galaxiaband.com
      www.mdracers.com
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Posted 13 years 2 months ago
    • hi there,

did you set "error reporting" to maximum in the joomla admin > site > global configuration?
      that will maybe turn the blank page into a blank page with error notices, that you could post here for us to take a look.

kat :)
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds