Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Re: How to get joomla to work from root index

• Re: How to get joomla to work from root index

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Ok- this might sound dumb (insert newbie disclaimer here)

But, I dont know how to do this...

How do i get Joomla to load from the root directory? Meaning, I want the joomla home page to load when you type in only the www.abc.com . I see the index.php file, but it is inside a joomla directory. therefore i have to put www.abc.com/joomla into the browser in order for it to load.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I did the install from godaddy's value added applications. i didn't install it myself
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
  • Re: Re: How to get joomla to work from root index

• I've installed from Godaddy also and what I do is move the contents of the joomla directory to the document root directory using an ftp client (such as FileZilla), then change the configuration.php as follows: all lines that mention the path (such as /home/content/m/y/d/mydomain/html/joomla or /home/content/m/y/d/mydomain/html/joomla/cache) should have the joomla subdirectory taken out (so it's /home/content/m/y/d/mydomain/html or /home/content/m/y/d/mydomain/html/cache).

An alternative to moving the files would be the php redirection code. In your document root your index.php file would have this code and nothing else:
      <?php header ("location: http://www.mydomain.com/joomla"); ?>
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Re: How to get joomla to work from root index

• Sounds like they may have installed Joomla into a sub-directory below the root (in a folder named 'joomla'). The best way is as Donna described or perform a fresh install of Joomla yourself with FTP, this time all Joomla files should go into the root.

dave
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

• Thanks for the info!

If I use the redirect, do i just make a page (filename index.php) with that text (as mentioned in Donna's email) in it?

Thanks,

Chris

• Yes, you're right

• Hey, it worked! Go figure? Thanks so much for the help!

I just pasted that code into notepad and saved it as index.php.

I'm going to try editing the config file too on a different installation, just to see if i can do it.

Thanks again!!

Chris

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds