Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Japanese not showing properly (99% right 1%garbled)

• Kaku Ito
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Japanese not showing properly (99% right 1%garbled)

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • Good day,

we bought one of your templates and are having problems with it. Our site is in Japanese. In some places, the text does not show as it should. We didn't have this trouble when using Arthur Konze's AkoBluePortal theme, so my ideas lies somewhere in the template. The only change we did to the template was add stats counters (JoomlaStats)

Here is an example page of where it shows up wrongly: www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/content/view/351/

you'll see a portion that says ??? rather than the kanji. We checked the database, and it appears as it should... it also appears as it should in the admin section.

To see if it was an encoding issue, I manually set the meta tag to utf8 rather than pulling it from php handler. This had no affect.

Any insight you have onthis would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jonathan Reinfelds
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Japanese not showing properly (99% right 1%garbled)

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • Hmm.. i'm not really sure what that could be.. there's not much aside from the encoding in the header that would affect the output of characters. have you compared the outputed html for both the template that works and the one that doesn't to see if there are any obvious differences with encoding or xml types in the <head>?
    • Kaku Ito
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Yeah... I thought it was just encodings too... below are the two head sections for reference. The only thing I haven't tried with the head section so far is to make doctype the same as the back-end (although not sure how that would affect anything).

Another odd issue is for mailto: links. (this could possibly be related???) the problem with the mail to links, is that when written in Japanese, I get javascript in the link... whereas if I use english for mailto I get the address just fine.
      eg: <a href="This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">テスト</a> produces <JAVASCRIPT laskdfjflkasd This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. askhoweilajsd
      <a href="This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">test</a> products This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I wonder if the two are related... something not parsing the japanese text correctly?

Frontend
      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" " www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd ">
      <html xmlns=" www.w3.org/1999/xhtml ">
      <head>
      <title>Xtream.ne.jp - 80'SBMXライダー集合したよ。</title>
      <meta name="title" content="80'SBMXライダー集合したよ。" />
      <meta name="author" content="miyagi chikara" />
      <meta name="description" content="BMX MTB マウンテンバイク ダウンヒル文化を映像や情報で楽しむサイト" />
      <meta name="keywords" content="ダウンヒル BMX MTB MTB マウンテンバイク インテンス Intense 宮城力 Aaron Chase Brian Lopes Hans Rey Cedric Gracia" />
      <meta name="Generator" content="Joomla! - Copyright (C) 2005 - 2006 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved." />
      <meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
      <link rel="stylesheet" href=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/components/com_akoco...fault/stylesheet.css " type="text/css" />
      <base href=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/ " />
      <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Xtream.ne.jp" href=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/index2.php?option=co...=rss10.xml&no_html=1 " />
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/images/favicon.ico " />
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href="./images/favicon.ico" />
      <link href="./templates/rt_extremities2/css/template_css.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
      <link href="./templates/rt_extremities2/css/blue_color.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
      <link href="./templates/rt_extremities2/sifr/sIFR-screen.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
      <link href="./templates/rt_extremities2/sifr/sIFR-print.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" />
      <!--[if lte IE 6]>
      <link href="./templates/rt_extremities2/css/template_ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
      <![endif]-->
      <script src="./templates/rt_extremities2/sifr/sifr.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
      <script src="./templates/rt_extremities2/sifr/sifr-addons.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
      </head>

Admin
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" " www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd ">
      <html xmlns=" www.w3.org/1999/xhtml ">
      <head>
      <title>Xtream.ne.jp - Administration [Joomla]</title>
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/joomla_admin/css/template_css.css" type="text/css" />
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/joomla_admin/css/theme.css" type="text/css" />
      <script language="JavaScript" src=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/includes/js/JSCookMenu_mini.js " type="text/javascript"></script>
      <script language="JavaScript" src=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/administrator/includ...ThemeOffice/theme.js " type="text/javascript"></script>
      <script language="JavaScript" src=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/includes/js/joomla.javascript.js " type="text/javascript"></script>
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
      <meta name="Generator" content="Joomla! Content Management System" />
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href=" www.xtream.ne.jp/jp/images/favicon.ico " />
      </head>
    • Franck
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Kaku, try to change for encoding="Shift-JIS"
    • Kaku Ito
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• for arguement-sake, I did just that and the site messed up. The database itself is UTF8 (which would explain that) [or at least as close to UTF8 as MySQL4.0 gets].

- Jonathan
    • Kaku Ito
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• I'm beginning to think that it isn't a template issue, but rather one of the modules/components/mambots responsible for parsing the database. I think this, because I just upgraded a site and I got the same issue with the mailto: function. So, assumming that the two problems are related, which I would assume they are, then the fault is in the parsing somewhere outside of the template. none the less, I will keep hunting things down and post the culprit once I find it.

Cheers to Franck and Andy for lending a hand and to RocketTheme for the wonderful looking templates! Already receiving positive comments regarding look and layout.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds