Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Could one SMF forum be shared between three Joomla installations?

• Could one SMF forum be shared between three Joomla installations?

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • Not sure quite where to post this question - so please move if appropriate!

What I ideally need for a new project is a forum that could be shared between several independent Joomla sites that have linked themes. Is there any way to do this with SMF? It looks the best forum option available.

Or is there another component that could do this?

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Frances
  • Re: Could one SMF forum be shared between three Joomla installations?

• well you could easierly share the forum, but you would only be able to link to one of the user tables.

thats just the way the bridge works.

so ppl will have to sign up for the Main (lbridged site) in order to post.

unless you installed them all into the same databse and changed all references to the user data (in the joomla files) - to the main sites user data.

but i couldnt be sure if thats possible with or without knowledge of what your doing.

someone else may be able to tell you if it is.

hope that helps.
    • Joomla Extensions - www.ninjoomla.com

• Thanks for confirming what I thought might be the case!

Looking at the bridge options at Joomla Extensions I'm now thoroughly confused about which of the two bridge options does what...

I suppose the alternative is to ask users to log in to the forum seperately from the sites...

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • I'm sure you could run the forum off of a central list, but then that requires all the sites to also run off the same list. You technically could write a script that would dump the user tables from all sites into a central site..but this would be very hard to code right and not blow up a bunch of huge security risks.
      Invision now has a program called Converge which does this by allwoing multiple sites to pass the user tables back and forth. I was on the testing team for Invisions new CMS and their Converge. I'm under a NDA, so I can't say much other than it worked very well. I don't know if something like converge could be set up for use with non-Invision products. Alot of their coding on the primary systems was written with the cross-site applications in mind.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds