Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

The Best Bridge joomla and SMF

• Re: The Best Bridge joomla and SMF

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • Why people has to enter his login again on the forum ! even if he does it on the website ?

Good question!

I don't know because I have orsito bridge!

In the next day I test It ;)

I think that when you are logged on J! you must logged on SMF at some time.

If you have an answer put it here please.

• TNX for your opinion! ;)
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: The Best Bridge joomla and SMF

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • I think if you're using community builder then JSMF is by miles the better bridge. I agree that the support on the forums is much more pleasant at joomlahacks too. I've always found Orstio to be helpful in the smf forums but kindred who also provides a lot of the support can be quite rude. There was also a lot of unpleasantness a while back on the smf forums when people were pushing for better cb integration.

To me it looks as though Wolverine (joomlahacks) is much more open to trying to integrate the bridge with as much joomla functionality as posisble where as Orstio's bridge is more concentrated on smf.
    • Firefrog
    • Rocketeer

• I have been using the orstio bridge through all the updates from Mambo 4.5 up to Joomla 1.0.10 with SMF 1.1 RC2.

This combination is awesome - There are no changes to the Joomla core or SMF, it is a great bridge.

I have found the opposite of that posted above. Kindred and Orstio and others are always friendly and willing to help. Orstio responds to so many requests for help! I have read posts where they are growing tired of people who want to be spoon fed but that's everywhere.....

Having not used the Joomlahacks version I am presenting a biased view, I have chosen to stay clear of a bridge that modifies core files.
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• They both make modifications and I'd say if anything joomlahacks is now a cleaner install/uninstall than Orstio's. Lots of components modify core files - its not really a big deal as long as you remember to re add the changes after you've upgraded Joomla (which I assume won't be happening so regularly now that they're moving onto 1.5).

Joomlahacks bridge gets labelled with "modifying core files" as though its dirty! Both versions of the bridge have required code to be added manually in the past and more recently have done so automatically (Ortsio's uses a mambot I think).

What you said about being tired of people being spoonfed is I think correct - it comes across that on the smf forums there is a lot less patience than there is on joomlahacks for people that are not coders.

• mas wrote:
      What you said about being tired of people being spoonfed is I think correct - it comes across that on the smf forums there is a lot less patience than there is on joomlahacks for people that are not coders.

I have to disagree, SMF forum specially the bridge section has the best support, the guys over there Orstio, Kindred, Chadness, Xenovanis they are patient and knowledgeable sometimes they even help you install and troubleshoot for free, I don’t know where you get that but you are totally wrong.
    • VirtueShop
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• I'm not "totally wrong" - I gave my opinion based on my experience as a charter member at SMF and a user of both bridges and both forums including testing two of Orstio's bridges. I'm glad you've had only positive experiences and I hope most people do. I never questioned their knowledge - that would be stupid of me as I depend on their knowledge and I've expressed my gratitude in both forums and made donations to both projects.

My opinion based on the topic title is that if you use community builder or wish to integrate smf with other Joomla components then Joomlahacks is the "best bridge" at this moment. I had no problems at all with Orstio's bridge except that it didn't provide good integration with CB and the log in module that you have to use is horrible. If it works for you and you get the support you need from that forum good for you and I hope others will respect your opinion better than you did mine.

• Opinions differ, we both have our own views, though I have to agree on one think with you I meant to say
      I don’t know where you get that but I think you are wrong.

The topic title doesn’t speak of Community Builder and no where in your original post you mentioned of Community Builder or other Joomla components, however Orstio’s bridge “the better bridge at the moment” supports Community Builder, I personally had it installed with CB without any problem but I found no use of CB so uninstalled it as for other Joomla components you have to be more specific.

What's wrong with the login module?
    • VirtueShop
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• ::)
      mas wrote:
      I think if you're using community builder then JSMF is by miles the better bridge.

To me it looks as though Wolverine (joomlahacks) is much more open to trying to integrate the bridge with as much joomla functionality as posisble where as Orstio's bridge is more concentrated on smf.

I think the log in module is ugly and quite limited + you have to use it with Orstio's bridge. The JSMF one allows you to use any of the log in modules + its own version which can be used very flexibly.
      orstio on smf forums wrote:
      I'll add one myself:

A template file that contains mainly HTML for the mod_smf_login module, so that users can customize their own look/feel for the module.

I think I did see somewhere else on here that someone had customised a login mod for Orstio's though.

edit: sorry just to explain the quote from Orstio is his own suggestion for a feature request that the log in module needs improving
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by mas.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds