Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Drupal Templates

• Drupal Templates

Posted 18 years 4 months ago
    • Does the framework of Drupal not lend itself to template development? I am curious of the seemingly lack of template sites / clubs available for Drupal.
  • Re: Drupal Templates

• Interestingly, if you go to www.OpenSourceCMS.com , then to their CMS rating list, you find that Drupal has a very high satisfaction rate, higher than Joomla. Which makes the dearth of templates even more of a mystery.

Here are some ratings I copied. There are ton of CMSs that I omitted, these are just some ratings that struck me as interesting. These numbers are based on hundreds to thousands of ratings, by the way.

Roger

phpwcms 4.25
      e107 3.95
      Typo3 3.95
      Drupal 3.91
      Xaraya 3.89
      XOOPS 3.89
      Website Baker 3.89
      Joomla 3.88
      CivicSpace 3.88
      Mambo 3.76
      Postnuke 3.63

• And by the way, Drupal has more ratings at www.OpenSourceCMS.org than any other CMS, 3809 for Drupal versus like 2017 for Joomla. That's a huge edge.

So it's even more of mystery.

Roger
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Drupal Templates

• It's not really a mystery. Joomla is very new in comparison to Drupal. If you add up the mambo+joomla ratings it's a very different story. Also my suspicion is that some over zelous folks on the mambo side probably 'biased' the joomla ratings.

Anyway, I too have noticed the severe lack of templates for some of these other popular cms's and have considered porting the club and templates to another cms. I would probably go with drupal, but if there was another popular one that was more feasible....

• I just looked at those OpenSourceCMS.com ratings. One could also determine popularity looking at the hits off of that page. When I looked, Drupal had 667878 and Joomla 116798 or 699974 if you add in the 583176 Mambo hits like Andy says. The next closest one was e107 and is still half of Drupal. e107 has a lot of themes on their site, especially when comparing to Drupals puny selection. I did a quick search and didn’t come up with any template clubs for e107 though.

The templates here at Jamboworks is what pushed me to Joomla. Had Jamboworks been a Drupal site I might not have ever install Joomla that second time.

• You guys are right, I should have added Mambo and Joomla together.

ANDY----You've got a chance to become THE Drupal template publisher. I say you do it. Start releasing each month's template for both Joomla and Drupal. I would appreciate the flexibility of moving back and forth between the two. Is it possible?

Roger
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• I really need to check to see how the drupal templating engine works and what it's capable of, should be doable though.

• I consider myself a hobbyist at front end web stuff, and I'm a novice with both Joomla and Drupal.

That said, Drupal seems to be more of a blank page to me. The few sites I setup with Drupal was like starting at the foundation and building up. With Joomla the framework appears more structured or rigid and I end up plugging stuff into what’s already there. I think creating templates (themes) would lend itself to be vastly different between Joomla and Drupal. For instance to construct a theme for Drupal with anything more than a left, middle, or right column requires some pretty detailed Drupal configuration; whereas Joomla has several placement options already there.
    • Whoey
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Up until recently I used Drupal for most of my sites along with the PHPtemplate theme engine, it should be easy(ish) to convert some of the templates here for Drupal use. As Grant pointed out Drupal does have that slightly less configurable positioning of modules (blocks).

Both the selection of slick designed templates, admin and shop interface (Virtuemart) for Joomla pushed me to change. Drupal has an e-commerce solution, but it is weak in comparison. The greater control in Joomla of all modules is great. I do feel sometimes like there is just a little too much built into Joomla when compared to Drupal. Also seems like Joomla has a lot of doubled up protections. (trashing, then deleting all content in a section before you can delete the section, then category, etc.) a bit of a pain in the ass... the superadmin "should" be able to delete the whole thing directly... (it does prompt you like 3 times before it actually does the deed). But all of this has nothing to do with the subject... sorry for the vent lol
    • I'm an Individual, just like everyone else...

Posted 17 years 9 months ago
    • Hi Andy,

Wondering where you stand on the drupal port?

Joomla is great, not making any comparisons, but drupal does have lots of features joomla doesn't and if one needs those features, one would prefer drupal - problem is ... no rockettheme templates.

I suspect you could at least double your user base if you were to port your templates to Drupal.

Whaddaya say? can you do it?...:-)

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds