Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Rockettheme is NO more!

• Re: Rockettheme is NO more!

Posted 1 month 17 hours ago
    • I know Astroid is back, but I was talking about the JoomDev version of Astroid. It's now run by TemPlaza. And it's still very buggy and doesn't work right with major extensions like YooTheme Zoo & Widgetkit.
      Unfortunately I use Hostgator and they have already said they have no plans to update beyond MySQL 5.7 at this time meaning we are stuck on J4. I hope and/or wish they will extend support for J4 with the issues of shared hosting and J5 or revisit the requirements for J5 since the MariaDB required version is the equivalent of MySQL 5.7 which makes zero sense. We were talking about this on a Facebook group the other day. Not even Wordpress has a MySQL8 requirement. They say 8 is recommended but it will still run on 5.5.5+. I really wish Joomla would have done the same. Not even MAMP Pro (localhost software for macOS) has mySQL 8 yet so it is also impossible to test in a localhost setting. Maybe you can pass along those concerns and issues to Joomla and they can revisit the requirements for J5.

Posted 1 month 7 hours ago
    • I used Hostgator years ago when it was owned by a small company and they were fine. But when they got bought out by a large investment firm I immediately started having issues until everything went down. Switched to Siteground and they were excellent until they got to big and did not seem to be able to have adequate support for dedicated servers anymore. I use Rochen and Liquid web now. Liquid web dedicated servers are super fast, support is in the middle of the road. Rochen is very expensive for dedicated servers so we only use reseller accounts. But they are slow. On the plus side their support is the best I've ever had in 30 years of building website.

Anyhow I would ditch Hostgator as soon as possible to someone who supports a newer version of MySQL. It is very irresponsible of them to not upgrade to at least a supported version. Below is the timeline for 5.7 from AWS.

MySQL community plans to deprecate MySQL 5.7 in October, 2023 [1] and will not provide any security patches or bug fixes after October, 2023. Following community timelines, Amazon RDS will end standard support of MySQL major version 5.7 on 29 February, 2024.

As far as Wordpress goes, they have always supported extremely old PHP and MySQL well past support stages. I've never understood that. I guess they do not care if someones site gets hacked since they allow really old versions of non supported software.

I do hope RocketTheme survives. Trying to make a living off of just templates is pretty hard now. You need to develop plugins or extensions to stay in business.
    • The following users have thanked you: RacerFX

Posted 1 month 3 hours ago
    • I found the comments on HostGator interesting in that I used them and got disappointed several years ago and moved to InMotionHosting, which has been excellent.

As for the comments on RocketTheme -- the lack of anything from the company is now, officially, beyond disappointing.

As for Joomla, I don't agree with what's said -- for me it's been unbelievably good and I'm glad to see continuous developments coming for it. I'm commited to Joomla. I just wished RocketTheme would've got its act together.

DAS
    • The following users have thanked you: Jeaneve

• RacerFX
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Rockettheme is NO more!

Posted 3 weeks 1 day ago
    • Just moved my last server from Hostgator. Trying Rochen on this server bank. We will see.
    • Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by RacerFX.

Posted 1 week 2 days ago
    • Hi Aaron,

I don't understand the complaints honestly... if your host refuses to move forward simply move host, I had to eons ago, it is no longer that big a deal thanks to tools like cPanel which let you do site to site transfer - most quality hosts these days will even do the transfers for you to gain your business.

Why would you want to be on a version of a database that is so old, no longer supported in any way and slower...

MAMP Pro 6 may not support MySQL 8.x but AMPPS sure does as well as PHP 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3

There is no logic in going back to a no longer supported, slower, and less security enhanced version.

Be well.

Emmanuel.
    • Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Emmanuel Lemor.

Posted 1 week 1 day ago
    • Hello, I have been using MAMP Pro 6 for testing with Joomla 5 for months without any issues except that I have to manually update Joomla with the upload file method. Obviously, I hope they will upgrade their mysql version at some point.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds