Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

What happened to Rocket Theme

• Alain
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: What happened to Rocket Theme

Posted 7 years 4 months ago
    • Yes me too. I never used the launcher and simple data. And as Damir say: you learn in the process :)
    • Let go of what we believe to be, to awaken to who we are...
      Alain
    • JuLa
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• One more that dont use the launcher.

For me its easier to build up everything from scratch.

Tryied also to install Grav to figure out what makes Grav to tick.

// Jukka
    • ~~~~~ Jukka ~~~~~~
      www.thndata.se
  • Re: What happened to Rocket Theme

• I am also a long-term RT user.....after using the free Joomla themes, I took the plunge and paid for my first subscription way back in 2008.
      We were still using Joomla 1.0 back then, with RT powering our Joomla 1.5 site relaunch.
      Anyway, whilst I had my own issues with RT (mostly JS compatibility stuff) and dabbled with lots of Joomla templates, I always came back to RT. Why? Because nothing out there could compete.
      That is until Gantry 5 came out. I just didn't get it....I tried, I played, I failed. I hated Gantry 5, it was too complex, too confusing and too damn hard to use. Eventually I settled on a template from another company to power my social website.

After about 12 months of using the new template, I decided to give Gantry 5 another go....this was for a new project and as my RT subscription was still paid up, I thought why not give it a go. RT can't have messed up THAT badly that Gantry 5 was unusable.
      This time I took more time to learn Gantry 5 and boy, was I glad I did. It was like my mind opened and I realised that here was something extra-ordinary!
      Quite simply, Gantry 5 blows the competition out of the water.... but only if you are prepared to take time to learn how to use it.

So, thats my RT history....some background to support what I am going to say in response to this Blog post.

Gantry is too good for its own good!
      We are used to getting buggy, feature-lacking products that are refined over time. (Just look at the DLC's released in the gaming market).
      So we expect that every few months new, shiny, exciting features will be added to our product.
      Unfortunately, we have a mindset of thinking....no updates, what am I paying for?
      Gantry 5 is already a complete product, so what can RT add to make it "significantly" better?

Gantry is too complex
      Yes, Gantry 5 is complex. Its not easy for the "novice" who just wants a quick and easy template for his 3-page website.
      But are those the kind of people who generally subscribe to RT? And who support RT year in and year out?
      If that was the target market for RT, then Gantry 5 was a step in the wrong direction for them.
      For me, RT provides an enterprise grade quality product that is designed with developers in mind. Thats why I keep renewing my subscription every year, even if I don't need a new template or support.

Templates all look the same
      This is one area that I think RT can definitely improve on.
      Pretty much the last 6 months templates have been cosmetic variations on what came before. But we don't want a template that is a rehash of the last one....we want something new, different and exciting.
      So what about a template with creative features for Social communities (or with creative integration with EasySocial or Jomsocial or CB or whatever). Or something focused on News or Blog content? Or built-in integration with IM's like Telegram or Facebook Messenger?
      Or even a roadmap of whats comming for 2017?

For me, I would like to see more templates built for purpose, rather than generic templates built around new colors, layout and custom modules. It makes it easier for new members to get started as they can select a template pre-built for their needs. And for us "veterans", it provides innovation and new ways to do stuff we have been doing for years.

Not enough templates are released
      For me, this is more a reaction to the lack of diversity in the new templates than one of not enough new templates.

Whew....if you are here then it means you managed to wade through all my musings. Well done LOL

Seriously though, RT has a brilliant product that is geared towards the beginner to intermediate IT developer market.
      It might not suit everyone and only RT can say if that is/was their goal.

However, this very success is potentially the biggest downfall as many subscribers do not see "value" in continuing with a paid subscription if there is nothing new or useable coming out. I know that the subscriber model provides ongoing support and pays for development etc etc but for most people thats not enough reason to continue to pay.
      RT....be creative and excite us and delight us!

Blackberry had an awesome product....how many of you are reading this now on your Blackberry smartphone?
    • Effective, affordable & hassle free websites for big-thinking small business.
    • oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

• agree whit you!btw when moderator write that rocketlancher have somthing wrong and they dont use it something is wrong from the basic and something Miller have to explain.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Oceano,

Damir didn't say there was anything wrong, just that he prefers to start from a clean Joomla and template, i.e. without the demo content.

I have a rule that I use to decide whether to use RocketLauncher or not. If I am going to have to delete more than half of the demo layouts/content then I use Joomla and template. If I will keep most but change text and images then I go with a RocketLauncher.

Hope this helps 8)
    • Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by David Goode.
    • The following users have thanked you: Damir

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds