Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Using a 3rd Party Menu Module in Gantry 5

• SOLVED Using a 3rd Party Menu Module in Gantry 5

Posted 7 years 10 months ago
    • I'm using Jooomla 3.51, Gantry 5, and Hydrogen Template.

I wanted to use swMenuFree which has various radius and borders, so that I could create menu tabs or buttons. It installed well enough and showed up in the G5 Hydrogen template. I could use all the swMenuFree features that I needed to style my menu tabs, but the resulting menu was not functional. Clicking on a menu item would not take you anywhere. So, the menu looked pretty, but it would not navigate.

After much, much fiddling, I found a solution. I had put the swMenuFree module in a Gantry 5 Particle called Module Position, and put that in the Nav Section, but the menu would not navigate. When I relocated the module position into the header section, all the menu features and navigation worked perfectly.

This post is mostly to share info.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Pinto Buck.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Using a 3rd Party Menu Module in Gantry 5

• I wouldn't be using a third-party product just to improve the styling. if you wanted the menu item to show as a button all you have to do is add a button class to the menu item in Gantry 5 menu editor. I also hope that your third-party menu works in a responsive template and can show a mobile menu too.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Using a 3rd Party Menu Module in Gantry 5

• Thank you for the rsponse. swMenuFree claims to be responsive and to support a mobile menu. I have not gotten that far, yet.

It would be helpful if you could point me to a button class and a tab class to use with roknavmenu. Even more helpful, would be some built-in variations or a control panel for menu buttons, tabs, and borders. I looked at roknavmenu and the documentation, but maybe I missed something. swMenuFree seemed easier than learning to create the css myself, which will be necessary if swMenuFree does not work out for some reason.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Pinto Buck.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Using a 3rd Party Menu Module in Gantry 5

• Why do you want to use roknavmenu in Gantry 5? Gantry 5 has it's own menu particle and also a menu editor. You just add the class to the menu item in the Gantry 5 menu editor. Hydrogen is an extremely basic theme and does not include much in the way of classes. Our commercial templates do include more classes and you can use the button classes such as "button" "button-1" "button-red" which are shown on the typography page of the demos.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Using a 3rd Party Menu Module in Gantry 5

• Good info. Thank you very much, MrT.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds