• Sr. Rocketeer

SOLVED my site is loading very slowly

Posted 9 years 8 months ago
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED my site is loading very slowly

• Your site loads for me in 2.8 seconds - I really think you are going to struggle to improve on that. Even that link show it loading in 2.5 seconds (once cached) so I don't see what the issue is?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • michael
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• thanks for reply mr.t

webpagetest says 7.2 seconds on first load. other problem is the site is going to be primary used in italy which dosn't have very good broadband, and server is based in london. one thing i noticed on webpagetest is that my Cache static content is bad. how can i improve it?

thank you
      mike.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• These are not really RT product related questions. I would have to spend a long time analysing your site to improve on the stats you are already getting and that is not a service we offer in this support forum.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you consider using a CDN service based in Italy so most content can be served locally. Personally I think CDN's are more trouble than they're worth but it's your call. 7 seconds first load means non-cached which you should expect 99% of the time you will be serving from cache and therefore 2.5 seconds is the more "real world" value. Don't believe all the technical figures these tools show you - a lot of it is "academic" - you're much better off actually timing your response at real end-user computer.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • michael
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• i'm using a cdn called cloudflare. it seems to help a little. why do you not like using them mr.t? all my research on cdn's and cloudflare was good.

thank you.

mike.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• 1. When you are developing you don't want to have to keep clearing CDN to see the site proper (not from cache).
      2. CDN's are only useful to organisations that trade internationally (where a CDN would be present in the local country and therefore not has to be servered from another country - therefore adding more time to deliver the pages). When the CDN and web server are in the same country there is unlikely to be much of a speed gain (in fact it can slow things down).
      3. they're complicated to set up correctly to ensure certain content is not cached.
      4. by default they tend to cache content that should actually be servered dynamically rather than from a static cache - this usually gives rises to "errors" in the functioning of the site
      5. there are better alternatives to speed up your site - like gzip, cache, and compression (rokbooster).

Search the forum for CDN and you will quickly see the issues that they create and our consistent advice not to use cloudflare unless you are prepared to invest the time in configuring it to work properly.

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by MrT. Reason: typo
  • Re: SOLVED my site is loading very slowly

Posted 9 years 7 months ago
    • Michale, apart of comment of other issues. Please, take note.

- Thearea where you test the site. Sometimes We are far of the internet central, and youcan suufer slow speed and lost packets.
      - You server. I have issues for some customers about this. The problem is that they prefer pay some bucks, instead 10, 20, or 30 dolars for a good server.
      - The computer where you do the test. This is not very important for the data you get on tests webpage, but You can see a low speed load of pages on it.
      - Bad otimization of the page, lots of plugins, or obsolete components, although MrT, comment about his test, and I don't believe that this is the problem.
      - I used Cloudflare some arround 1 year ago, and the experience didn't go well, because in some countries, the load are perfect, and in other one are really bad. I insist, that this was some time ago.
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

• Greetings
      Valentín Yonte
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Valentin Yonte - Thank you for your comments - I think your view broadly supports the points I was making.

Michael - here is a link to a topic I solved only a couple of days ago - where yet again cloudflare was the cause of the issue http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/joomla-extension-roksprocket-solved-threads/228879-solved-pagination-not-working?start=0#1131578 .

Regards, Mark.
    • michael
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• thanks for the positive feedback guys. appreciate it

mike.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds