Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Installing template change owner to system, hence I can't access the files

• Installing template change owner to system, hence I can't access the files

Posted 17 years 11 months ago
    • Hi,

I just noticed that installation of template change the ownership from me to the system (apache) hence redering the files unaccessible for me (can't delete, chmod or move them).

Any solution to this (I need system root access to change ownership, which I don't have since I'm on a shared hosting environment)?

Cheers,
      Mikael
    • HTML, CSS -> OK
      Joomla -> learning
    • Yves
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Installing template change owner to system, hence I can't access the files

Posted 17 years 11 months ago
    • Access your files with joomlaxplorer, a component you can find here: http://extensions.joomla.org . You will be able to edit, delete, copy, rename, upload files, and change file permissions if necessary.
    • Yves
  • Re: Installing template change owner to system, hence I can't access the files

Posted 17 years 8 months ago
    • I had the same problem with one web hosting service, and changing permissions using JoomXplorer or anything else didn't help because the ownership on the installed templates and components was apache and I log in as admin63. I had to have the webhost change the ownership on those files for me.

I need to be able to tell him how I need the server set up so that when I install components and templates through Joomla, the ownership will be admin63, not apache. I have no access to change permissions on apache owned directories/files.

If anyone has any suggestions (other than changing hosting services which is not an option in this case) I would be grateful! TIA.
  • Re: Installing template change owner to system, hence I can't access the files

• Hi,

Your host would need to Make Apache with PHP suEXEC Support. This tells PHP to run as the user account and not nobody or apache. This also makes the joomla install a breeze in that PHP installer is running as the user that will be controlling the file system via php. So no file permission changes needed.

Warngin Plug For My Own Hosting Services:

I provide hosting services that start at $10us per month. My servers are configured this way and I have upped the file upload limit from 2MB to 5MB via php. You can get more details here:

www.jikometrix.net

Sincerely,
      Mike
    • www.jikometrix.net
      JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting

• I avoid this by using file manager in cpanel to upload and unzip the template into the template folder rather than use the installer in Joomla. Works great and is real fast!

Alternatively you could unzip on your local computer and ftp the folder to the template folder, but that is much slower.

Steve

• Hi,

I see how using the cPanel file manager would help here, but if you FTP, your logging in as the user account who would also be used to create the folders. So that would put you back in the same spot when you have a server that runs PHP as nobody in stead of the user account.

Sincerely,
      Mike
    • www.jikometrix.net

• Thanks for all the replies... in the end it was a great component that sorted it out (JoomlaXplorer). With that I can change the chmod values.

Cheers,
      Mikael
    • HTML, CSS -> OK
      Joomla -> learning

• Mike Brandonisio wrote:
      Hi,

I see how using the cPanel file manager would help here, but if you FTP, your logging in as the user account who would also be used to create the folders. So that would put you back in the same spot when you have a server that runs PHP as nobody in stead of the user account.

Sincerely,
      Mike

I just tested using the ftp to upload and to make sure and the ownerships are as they should be. I am able to change permissions, delete, edit, etc. as I should be able to do--and cannot do when I use the template installer.

I might add that I deleted the original installs via Joomlaexplorer then re-uploaded the templates through filemanager and/or ftp. Sometimes I am working the ftp and it is handy not to have to switch to joomlaexplorer.

Steve
    • Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by Stephen O Connor.

• Hi,

I get it now. I was think of DreamWeavers FTP. Sorry for the laps.

Mike
    • www.jikometrix.net

• Mike Brandonisio wrote:
      Your host would need to Make Apache with PHP suEXEC Support. This tells PHP to run as the user account and not nobody or apache. This also makes the joomla install a breeze in that PHP installer is running as the user that will be controlling the file system via php. So no file permission changes needed.

Thanks for the info. I just checked with the webhost provider. He said "The web server is already built with suexec". Is there anything else that would be causing the templates to be installed with apache as owner?

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds