Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

• Re: SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

Posted 7 years 10 months ago
    • Greetings!

Alright a small update as to what this situation has led me to. This, in case people are looking for a solution to a simular situation.

The whole problem has regressed from "I can't use multiple outlines .." to " Oh, it's the SEF option thats causing the error" to " Hrmm .. this seems to be related to .htaccess and httpd.conf settings ".

Let me clarify a little on what i have been understanding so far.

httpd.conf is a file on the server that dictates how Apache should handle and give permissions to what sites and settings are allowed.
      If Apache is allowing .htaccess to override (per user/site) then there should a couple of script lines added to httpd.conf.
      Check this link about it: docs.joomla.org/Enabling_Search_Engine_F...(SEF)_URLs_on_Apache

This means for people who have their own vps server they need to start looking into that. If people are on a shared webhosting service there is little chance it will be edited because Hosting Companies will * Not change * those settings and the reason is: What Affects you will affect others on the same server.

To see if your .htaccess is allowed to handle settings by itself you can check it i believe through this link: docs.joomla.org/How_to_check_if_mod_rewr...abled_on_your_server

And this is where I stopped my actions on the whole matter for now.
      The reason is simply because i do not trust my knowledge enough to start messing with these files just because of a SEF option.

Also, It makes me wonder wheither one should dive so deep into things just to have a Joomla/Gantry site. One should consider what the target Group is for distributing the Joomla & Gantry system and if there will ever be a script tool that can actually simply retrieve these settings and check if they are actually working.

To me right now, I am not concerned about having to select a url thats 5cm long or 15cm long. Copy and paste action is still the same :P

I will dive into it at a later stage or sooner if i see it becomes a security issue.

Until then, I think this post is to be considered Semi Solved. The problem is known, The solution is there and technically this has very little to do with Gantry in itself as it is calling upon existing possibilities and settings of a server.

Of course esthetically it would be a charm if Gantry / Joomla was able to handle this in a manner that indeed people without server configuration knowledge are still able to make use of the system as it was intended to.

A big thanks to David Goode who sent me on the right path and me signing off here!
    • Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Actifuse.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

Posted 7 years 10 months ago
    • You are welcome.

Please remember that there are 3rd party extensions that can handle the SEF element inside Joomla and you can see various options here - extensions.joomla.org/category/site-management/sef

Cheers for now.
    • The following users have thanked you: Actifuse

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds