Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Open "category list" article with correct &itemid=

• Robert

SOLVED Open "category list" article with correct &itemid=

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • see:
      sultanabubakarmuseum.com/index.php?optio...3&Itemid=191&lang=en

I have 2 outlines (recognizable by the name added in the footer)

OUTLINE: Default English
      OUTLINE: Default English Events (that contains the extra menu: Current Events ,
      Future events , Past events )

I open a "category list" in OUTLINE: Default English Events
      I want the articles to open in OUTLINE: Default English Events, but they open in OUTLINE: Default English .

What am I doing wrong?
      I heard some people use an extension which sets the itemid to current page to solve this, is there such an extension?

Setup of the menu item "TEST OUTLINE"

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • Robert

Re: SOLVED Open "category list" article with correct &itemid=

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • A (hidden) menu item linking to the single article, using "Template style: Default English Events". Solves the problem for "individual articles". But I can not get it to work for "categories" as described in www.templatemonster.com/help/joomla-3-x-...-menu-item.html#gref .
      Dahhhhh.... maybe I should get an extension for this.....

Update:
      It looks like the "categories" solution does work as long as it doesn't conflict with other menu items using the same category.... It's magic... Sometimes I wonder if anyone really knows whats going on or do we just think " Hey it works! How wonderful"...
    • Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Robert.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Please note that by answering your own post you take yourself out of the MODS "unanswered posts" queue and therefore might have to wait longer for a response - it's better to edit your original post so this does not happen.

I am sorry that we missed your post on this occasion. It is rare but it does happen. Do you still require assistance?

Hidden menu is the correct solution:

This is normal Joomla behaviour for "orphaned" or "menuless" articles. To get around this use the hidden-menu technique.

Create a MENU called "hidden" (no need to create a module to place it anywhere). In the hidden menu, create a MENU ITEM for each of the orphaned articles (single article type) and make sure these menu items are published. Now the hidden menu won't appear on any of your pages, but, the articles will now open in their own page. You can also use the same technique and create a hidden category blog menu item to pick up multiple articles too, thus saving having to create a hidden menu item for every article.

The alternative is to use the "Advanced Module Manager" extension from NoNumber which offers a great deal more control.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Robert

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Robert

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Hi,

As a beginner I made the mistake of not understanding that itemId will come from setting a proper (hidden) Menu.
      Solved that now. Thanks for your support.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds