Welcome Guest! Login
1 items / $24.00 Checkout

SOLVED G5 Smackdown w/Whine and Cheese. Please join the party.

• SOLVED G5 Smackdown w/Whine and Cheese. Please join the party.

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • Okay. This whole thing is a little "tongue in cheek" but I'm really ripped on this new system, and I don't mean in a good way. (YET!)

I've been playing with Gantry 5 off and on since it came out and trying to get a handle on it. To be blunt, this is nothing like we've been accustomed to, and I realize there's a learning curve.... but DA-YAM YA'LL! G5 looks more like a dragon than a knight to me and I am quickly losing my ***PERK*** factor. Here's why:

EXTENSIONS:
      With Gantry 4 going towards the wayside. it seems the extensions may also be following. We KNOW we will have to upgrade to Gantry 5 or we'll be tossed to the curb eventually. That's fine.

BUT RT isn't using their extensions now. Particles are the new extensions. Now that just doesn't make sense and I don't see the logic. Aren't you recreating the mold for each extension within each template? Isn't that double duty?

LANGUAGE BARRIER: (Critical)
      Yaml, Twig, Sass, Grav.... all NEW terminology in the RT world (I'm working on it but the learning curve is grueling)

EASE OF USE:
      I can't find things! Example: I want to find a particular display with TABS or create one.
      Old way: I could sort by TYPE and find it quckly because I knew what to look for.
      New way: The particles are not sufficiently identified to indicate what they heck they do.

I see only two types of modules in the extension manager now. Custom HTML and Particle. So you have to dig, and guess, and use all manner of devices to find that module which may or may not be logically named in said manager to identify it.

I haven't even ventured into atoms because I might blow up the universe.

In addition, I read on the Gantry timeline you are moving to Grav.... your own CMS system. Where will that leave us in Joomla? Will it work with all that? I'm concerened about functionality and how RT will or will not continue to work and play well with other extensions I rely on.

Seriously, I've been doing this for well over 20 years now. Several members have stated they get to that "Ta-daaa!" moment eventually. Did someone steal mine? If so, kindly return with no consequences.

And for the record, until Gantry 5, I didn't really realize how much the word "particle" is used outside the world of physics. Now I HATE that word and just want to blow up ALL my particles and stay with G4.... but it's on the way out.... OMG! Shoot me now!

;)
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED G5 Smackdown w/Whine and Cheese. Please join the party.

• Empowermom wrote:
      G5 Smackdown w/Whine and Cheese. Please join the party.
      Can you provide some Salient Google maps directions to the party please :silly:

Empowermom wrote:
      Okay. This whole thing is a little "tongue in cheek" but I'm really ripped on this new system, and I don't mean in a good way. (YET!)
      You started this so I'm going to, in a Ethereal manner, "tongue in cheek" right back atcha...ehh(I'm Canadian)

Empowermom wrote:
      I've been playing with Gantry 5 off and on since it came out and trying to get a handle on it. To be blunt, this is nothing like we've been accustomed to, and I realize there's a learning curve.... but DA-YAM YA'LL! G5 looks more like a dragon than a knight to me and I am quickly losing my ***PERK*** factor. Here's why:
      So I'm the oldest Mod here (no Requiems needed for me yet) and I was looking forward to a new learning curve as much as I did when I was a student sitting the Principals office awaiting the arrival of parents after a school yard "altercation" because he insulted the LEAFS!!!!!!

However I do have an advantage here in that even though I'm no brighter than 99.9% of our members BUT because I'm dealing with your issues on a daily basis I was able to climb that DanG!!!(sic) curve at an accelerated rate. Plus I'm a nice fellow so the Devs seem to have a lot of patience with me :whistle:

Empowermom wrote:
      EXTENSIONS:
      With Gantry 4 going towards the wayside. it seems the extensions may also be following. We KNOW we will have to upgrade to Gantry 5 or we'll be tossed to the curb eventually. That's fine.
      Nope Gantry 4 is still a competitive framework in the Joomla market. Even though there may be no new development we will still support it.

Empowermom wrote:
      BUT RT isn't using their extensions now. Particles are the new extensions. Now that just doesn't make sense and I don't see the logic. Aren't you recreating the mold for each extension within each template? Isn't that double duty?
      As we were developing our Templates we also developed new Rok extensions to make our templates stand out from the rest of the market. I still clearly remember the release of Reflex and RokGallery - WOWZAAA!!! (it was like stuff out of our solar system - maybe from Antares the alpha star in constellation Scorpio.)
      I was a huge fan of of our Panacea rotator and later on RokSprocket.
      So for Gantry 5 we are following the same road to success - innovative ways to present your clients content in the Market so it gets noticed.

Empowermom wrote:
      LANGUAGE BARRIER: (Critical)
      Yaml, Twig, Sass, Grav.... all NEW terminology in the RT world (I'm working on it but the learning curve is grueling)
      So at my Post = 1 here at RocketTheme I ahd NO CLUE what .php, .css or .ini stood for. At 30000+ posts I could handle YAML and TWIG files without to much commotion. To tell you the truth I find YAML files one of the easiest coding structures to understand since the "tree" concept of:
      Paragraph -> Sentence -> Words -> Letters ;)
      Check out this series of mini-guides AMP Series and you will see that dealing with Particle source files isn't a scary thing at all.

Empowermom wrote:
      EASE OF USE:
      I can't find things! Example: I want to find a particular display with TABS or create one.
      Old way: I could sort by TYPE and find it quckly because I knew what to look for.
      New way: The particles are not sufficiently identified to indicate what they heck they do.

I see only two types of modules in the extension manager now. Custom HTML and Particle. So you have to dig, and guess, and use all manner of devices to find that module which may or may not be logically named in said manager to identify it.
      If you've noticed our template structure has been changing from the introduction of Callisto. With our first effort all the Particles were directly in the Layout and this necessitated a lot of Outlines and many questions from our members.

At some point after Ethereal the templates began to look more like the Gantry 4 layout in that all the Blocks in the Layout Manager were "special particles" that represented module position or module instance. The user was than free to define, using the Joomla Module Manager screen, what modules should be assigned to the Layout.

Basically a Gantry 5 Particle is like a supercharged, possibly Hydrogen-powered, Module.
      So as in Gantry 4 you can create a Module of Type=Particle in the Joomla Module Manager screen and assign it to a module position that would be used by the layout manager...

OR

you can place a particle DIRECTLY into the Layout Manager without requiring a module position assignment whatsoever.
      So, Rule of thumb, if you can't find the Particle in the Joomla Module Manager screen then look in the Outline -> Layout Manager screen.

Empowermom wrote:
      I haven't even ventured into atoms because I might blow up the universe.
      Actually with the advent of assigning the Google Analytics script to an Atom we've had a reduction in the number of my GA thingie isn't working.

Empowermom wrote:
      In addition, I read on the Gantry timeline you are moving to Grav.... your own CMS system. Where will that leave us in Joomla? Will it work with all that? I'm concerened about functionality and how RT will or will not continue to work and play well with other extensions I rely on.
      Again we at RocketTheme like to give our members options, in this case Grav being free extends to the Public.
      GRAV is a totally different animal than Joomla CMS. Its a "flat file" design - superfast and easy to add content to. As I move around the Web I see more and more Web related product providers using GRAV for their Documentation pages. It actually runs ours. However it's not limited to just that, you can even add a Shopping cart to it.
      You should really check this out (way cool) https://getgrav.org/

Empowermom wrote:
      Seriously, I've been doing this for well over 20 years now. Several members have stated they get to that "Ta-daaa!" moment eventually. Did someone steal mine? If so, kindly return with no consequences.
      Okay I expect a retraction at 20 years plus 15 days when like the proverbial barn door - it hits you!

Empowermom wrote:
      And for the record, until Gantry 5, I didn't really realize how much the word "particle" is used outside the world of physics. Now I HATE that word and just want to blow up ALL my particles and stay with G4.... but it's on the way out.... OMG! Shoot me now!
      ;)
      HAHAhaha...too funny. When the devs were first rolling it out and we Mods were helping test it and I heard "particles" (thinking they were so form of Isotope from the planet Xenon) it was one big GROAAAAAAAN from me.
      While calling them modules would have been inaccurate because they can do so much more than a module I suppose "particles" was better than calling it "hockeyPucks".
    • Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by DanG.
  • Re: SOLVED G5 Smackdown w/Whine and Cheese. Please join the party.

• I'm still waiting for my Crystalline vision while I attempt to absorb the Myriad information provided. All I can say is I need to get Kraken. When I reach that Spectral universe, I'll let you know.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds