Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Hide or Remove Particle Based on URL

• SOLVED Hide or Remove Particle Based on URL

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • Not sure if I am fully grasping the concept here, but I am digging the particles. I am still a bit confused after the reading and re-reading of the documentation, and maybe I am asking for something that simply isn't implemented, but here goes:

Say I have a particle that is used as a header on a blog layout at this URL: example.com/blog

A user clicks on an article (or category) and the URL is now: example.com/blog/category/article

Is there a way to hide or remove a particle from showing when "/category" and/or "/article" is in the URL? To say it only shows up on /blog and nothing following that?

I searched this forum for hours, wasn't finding quite what I am trying to ask. Again, maybe I am simply not seeing it.

Anyhow, that said, I really dig the new Gantry. Love the work guys, keep it up!
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Hide or Remove Particle Based on URL

• Okay lets see if I can shed some light.

Joomla Module Manager screen:

- used to create and setup new Modules, example Login and Random Image are two standbyes
      - also used to create and setup new Modules introduced with Gantry 5 -> "Particles" - YES these are modules but with a difference*
      - in this screen after creating your module you would assign a menu page to display it on and a module position**

* - unlike Joomla Modules, particles can be placed DIRECTLY in the Layout of an Outline so menu page and module position values aren't required.

Gantry 5 -> Outline -> Layout Manager screen:

- used to set the location of Modules created in the Joomla Module Manager screen in the specified Outline.
      - here you can use Modules, Modules that are of type Gantry 5 particle OR Gantry 5 particles DIRECTLY.
      - there is a lot of flexibility here as multiple modules that are assigned to say "showcase-a" can be shown depending on the menu pages designated in the Module setup. Menu pages can be defined to use specific Outlines so one module position can display different Modules on different menu pages.

** - Okay this is where it gets a wee bit strange. Everything you place in the Layout Manager MUST be a Particle. So any "module position's" (NOT the Modules) defined in the Joomla Module Manager screen must use the "Module Position Particle" to be placed in the Layout.
      Along these lines to display the Joomla Main Body (Featured Articles OR Category Blog) you need to place a "Page Content Particle" in your Layout.

So with the Basics in hand to do want you want is easy if you use the above methods. If your module is not to display on a page that doesn't have a menu page that you can use CSS to Disable it.
    • The following users have thanked you: Spartan0311MP

• Re: SOLVED Hide or Remove Particle Based on URL

• Perfect, that's what I had in mind and this reinforced it. Thanks!

Now to learn more about CSS.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Hide or Remove Particle Based on URL

• Spartan0311MP wrote:
      Perfect, that's what I had in mind and this reinforced it. Thanks!

Now to learn more about CSS.

You set a real task for yourself, CSS and Gantry 5 but you will truly benefit yourself by working at these goals. For me I learnt CSS using these two resources:
      1. w3cschools.com - the worlds largest web dvelopment site
      2. Introduction to Chrome Developer Tools

Best of luck
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by DanG.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds