Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Begging for help please - Advanced Module Manager Not Working in Gantry 5

• SOLVED Begging for help please - Advanced Module Manager Not Working in Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 3 months ago
    • I'm sorry to say this in such a pathetic way but it's the truth at this point, I'm literally begging for help with getting Advanced Module Manager to work properly on my website and I don't have a ton of time to figure it out.

Long story short, whenever I create a brand new core HTML module (nothing special about it), or use any other module for that matter, and I try to assign my module to a specific page on my Xenon/Gantry 5 RocketTheme template using Advanced Module Manager, the module begins appearing on EVERY page on my website as if I've selected "All Pages" for my module placement. I'm familiar with how Advanced Module Manager works, so I'm relatively sure that I'm not placing my specific modules on all my pages due to user error...

I've also tried a few other RocketTheme templates as well and the same issue is happening. I have the latest version of Joomla 3.4.8 and the latest Gantry 5 and Xenon template. I tried downgrading from Gantry 5 to Gantry 4 and using some older RT templates and the same issue is happening.

Honestly, I'm not sure if its due to Gantry 5, or the RocketTheme Xenon template, or something else I have installed on my website that would be causing this conflict...but literally out of all my other components/plugins/modules...the only thing that isn't working right is Advanced Module Manager.

Add insult to injury...if I try to just apply a module to specific articles on my website (and I mean nothing but articles as a page selection), then is seems that the module wont appear anywhere at all despite the fact that my module should clearly show up on the article that was defined...BUT using AMM to add a module to just ONE main menu item and then the darn module starts showing up on every page of my website again.

I've reached out to "NoNumber" forum support for my AMM module issue, and Patrick over there is essentially blaming my template, but he didn't look into my issue in-depth at all.

I've been a member and fan of RocketTheme for 9 years now without ever having too serious of an issue that I couldn't work around...but if there's ever been one thing I've truly needed help with...it would be getting this issue solved soon hopefully if anyone here can assist.

I have a real need to put certain modules on specific article pages within my website to improve "sub-navigation" to pages that aren't based off of my main menu.

I know all about the hidden menu items to achieve a goal of getting modules to appear on articles without the use of linking a module position to a menu item...however it would be an EXTREMELY arduous task for me to do this with some changes that I'm required to do on my project...we'd be talking hundreds of custom links just to make my modules look the way they need to on each article page when all is said and done. Advanced Module Manager will get this done for me in minutes though.

If anyone can help me with this, I will be forever grateful. The only thing I can't do is reinstall my whole Joomla site from scratch, so I'm really hoping I can figure out where the "breakage" is with AMM spamming my modules all over my website as if I've selected "Show on all pages".

I've pasted my server info in the secure tab.

Thanks so much in advance!
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by David Wolfman.
    • RocketTheme Member since 2007
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: SOLVED Begging for help please - Advanced Module Manager Not Working in Gantry 5

• This fellow got it working with Gantry 5 Module Position Particles vs using Module Instance Particles. But perhaps his issue was different... I'm not familiar with AMM but it sounds like you're assigning modules directly to Articles... which I'm not sure how AMM does that without conflicts because an Article that isn't tied to a Menu Item can only inherit the layout of the page it was navigated from...

www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry5-for-jo...anced-module-manager

Make sure Gantry is up to date.

Would Articles within the same Category have the same module's on them?
    • The following users have thanked you: David Wolfman

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: SOLVED Begging for help please - Advanced Module Manager Not Working in Gantry 5

• Hi Matt! Thanks so much for your reply. Assigning modules to all articles within a category would work for me as well so I love your suggestion of making it work using Gantry 5 Module Position Particles instead of Module Instance Particles. I'm brand new to Gantry 5 so I'll have to play around with it and I'll likely be able to figure it out in time, but do you have any write-ups on how you made that work?

I also appreciate the link you provided to the other thread where MrT mentions that AMM should work in Gantry 5...so it's likely some other plugin/component or something I have installed on my site thats conflicting with AMM. From what the developer claims, AMM is supposed to be able to assign modules to individual articles and categories, etc. It looks pretty awesome, unfortunately the developer keeps blaming everything entirely on RocketTheme whenever he see's mention of a person using it. However, again I feel more confident now that MrT says it'll work with Gantry 5 at least. Here's info on AMM: www.nonumber.nl/extensions/advancedmodulemanager

My situation is that I'm working on a music school's website. They have a free lesson section (and also paid section in the future) and underneath each 'section' of lessons are various types of lessons...for example blues, folk, rock, etc. In each section (which will be it's own category having articles underneath it), people can go onto a page and at that point in time then they are supposed to see a separate sub-menu of lessons they can learn underneath each type of genre (blues, folks rock, etc). So perhaps I'm just having an error in logic as to how I should best set this up.

Ideally, I don't want all of these lessons and sub-lessons to show up on my main menu, it's just way too much to display. I suppose that I could create individual menus and then add those menu modules onto the main page for "free lessons"...however at one-point as you navigate deeper down, I'm pretty sure that can no longer assign a "custom" menu module to the sub-pages/articles because the module for the specific lesson is no longer link-able from the main menu that got the user into the "Lessons" area to begin with.

I understand how hidden menu items could allow me to create custom module positions...BUT then I'd have to manually create all of my custom URLs for every page and menu in this "lessons area", just to add the category and ItemID#...which would just get insane for me due to all of the sub-lessons and menus I'm going to require. I also didn't love the way categories "look" in the past when trying to use them, so I'm hesitant to just point menu items to whole categories without at least being able to add an article on the same page as the category to "dress-up" the page around it... I hope this makes sense and isn't overly complicated, i know I'm being wordy so I apologize for that.

So ideally the menu layout would look something like this while the user maintains the ability to fully navigate each section they're in...

- Main Menu -
      Home
      Other Stuff
      Blah
      Lessons => the user will go here

On the Lessons page/article, the user will then click a link to go to another article... for example blues, folk, rock

So once the user is on the lessons page, the user can choose from a few different lessons (which will send them down to another article for that genre)...
      Blues Page
      Folk Page
      Rock Page

Once the user goes to the Blues page, they need to see a "Blues lessons menu"
      - Blues (I want this page to have it's own Blues menu and not show up in the main menu)
      - - Lesson One (I want this page to have it's own Blues menu and not show up in the main menu)
      - - Lesson Two (I want this page to have it's own Blues menu and not show up in the main menu)

Once the user goes to the Rock page, they need to see a "Rock lessons menu"
      - Rock (I want this page to have it's own Rock menu and not show up in the main menu)
      - - Lesson One (I want this page to have it's own Rock menu and not show up in the main menu)
      - - - Lesson One Modes (this menu would actually appear ONLY when the user is on the main Lesson One page or in this artice)
      - - - Lesson One Methods (this menu would actually appear ONLY when the user is on the main Lesson One page or in this artice)
      - - - Lesson One Chords (this menu would actually appear ONLY when the user is on the main Lesson One page or in this artice)
      - - Lesson Two (I want this page to have it's own Rock menu and not show up in the main menu)
      ...and so on

Please let me know if you have any ideas as to how I can work-around or solve my dillemma or if I'm just being dumb and not realizing another way I could easily make this work. Thanks so much for your help, time, and reply once again... knowing about your ability to get Module Position Particles where you needed them may help me as well.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by David Wolfman.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: SOLVED Begging for help please - Advanced Module Manager Not Working in Gantry 5

• I read your post twice and I'm still not sure I follow your entire hierarchy... but here's my thoughts/take-aways

It seems that you DO need some sort of Navigation to every article... your not just linking articles statically from a page... you want true navigation everywhere so it seems to me that you're going to have to build Menus for everything anyway... So create all your various menus to your various articles and use the Menu system + Menu Particles in Gantry 5 to position different menus on different pages.

If every article has a Menu associated with it then there's really no reason you'd need a hidden menu(s) or AMM

Barring that...

If the articles you want to assign Modules to have the same Modules for each category then you can totally use a hidden menu pretty easily... when you use the Category Blog menu item it will cover every article within that Category... so you only need 1 menu item for each Category instead of 1 menu item for each Article

In many senses Gantry 5 would be just as powerful as AMM... the Layout Manager allows you to assign unique Module Positions to a page and the controlling Outline allows you to assign that layout to one or many pages (menu items)... Outline Inheritance is a feature that's around the corner (hopefully) for Gantry 5 which will give you even more control as you'll be able to clone particles across multiple Outlines and set up a hierarchy within your Outlines so settings and attributes inherit downward.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Wolfman

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: SOLVED Begging for help please - Advanced Module Manager Not Working in Gantry 5

• Matt! I'm sorry for the delay but I took your advice and was able to run with it and was in the zone to get my project mostly completed over this past weekend. I was able to make it work using the category blog hidden menu assignment for my Gantry 4 site and then used your Gantry 5 method for an "upgrade" of this site where I'm porting this Diametric Gantry 4 site into a Gantry 5 site and newer template down the line. Thank you SO much! I greatly, greatly, appreciate you taking the time to assist me with your help in my time of need. Seriously, thanks a ton for really helping me out! Have a great one!
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• :)

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds