Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Creating Page overrides - Template Manager

• wildcat
    • Sr. Rocketeer

SOLVED Creating Page overrides - Template Manager

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • Hi all

Still trying to get my head around Gantry 5....

If I want to create some overrides for a particular page eg. home page - additional aside module

I create a new Theme Outline for the home page (ie. Isotope - Home), I can duplicate the default (ie. Isotope - default) and then make the changes to the new home theme (Isotope - home) but when I edit the Default Outline (Isotope - default), of course these changes are not automatically applied to the home page theme (Isotope - home), I have to make the changes to the home page theme also.

I'm assuming I must be going about this the wrong way as when using Gantry 4 this was a simple exercise of just choosing the items which were to be different to the default in the override....

My question is - How do you do this in Gantry 5?

How do you create a theme that uses the default theme for everything except the changes made to a particular page, as we could in Gantry 4?
    • Brisbane Web Design
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Creating Page overrides - Template Manager

• It's the same as in Gantry 4 it's just the names have been changed to protect the innocent :rolleyes:

Here's my example:

- you've installed the Joomla 3.4.5 Full package
      - then you install our Stand-alone template Isotope
      - your Isotope-Default template (in Gantry 5 we call it an Outline) now will set Features and styles for ALL menu pages
      - you decide your Home page needs special styling
      - you Duplicate the Isotope-Default Outline and then rename the copy from Isotope-Default(2) to Isotope-Home
      - in the Layout Manager set your styling and feature content in this Outline
      - when done go to the Assignments tab and set the MainMenu -> Home Page toggle to ON (green).

Your Home page menu item will now use Isotope-Home as its Default template style.

Does that help?
    • wildcat
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thanks for the reply Dan but...

I often go back and make changes to the default template after creating an override or Page specific template. In Gantry 4 the override or page specific template is still connected to the default template for everything except the items I have changed. Making edits to the default template after creating an override or page specific template is no problem.

What I'm struggling with in Gantry 5 is ...

If I say change the colour scheme on the default template, this will not be reflected in my page specific template already created under this new system.

Same thing if I decide that a particular module instance should be a module position instead as I want to use different modules in that particular position on different pages, then I also have to change the override templates for each page as well as the default template in Gantry 5, whereas on Gantry 4 if I hadn't changed the layout on the override pages the new default layout would be automatically changed on those pages when it updated.

Does this make sense?

I'm not having any problem creating the override pages per menu item, it's just the fact that when you want to make a sitewide change you have to edit all of the templates that you have created not just the default template.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by wildcat.
    • Brisbane Web Design
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• wildcat wrote:
      If I say change the colour scheme on the default template, this will not be reflected in my page specific template already created under this new system.

Just so we're in sync between our two frameworks, in Gantry 4 I would have a Vermilion-Default MASTER template that I had set to Preset#1. This would style ALL my menu pages.

I then create a Vermilion-HOME template override with it using Preset#4 and assigned to the Home page.

If I go back to my Vermilion-Default MASTER template and change the preset to Preset#2 then my Home page will remain as Preset#4 while all the other non-override menu pages will use Preset#4.

Now to Gantry 5 where in my mind the BASE OUTLINE is actually all the Colour and Style settings similar to the Vermilion-Default MASTER template. Then Xenon-Default and any other template overrides are ALL template overrides of the BASE OUTLINE as far as Colour and Style settings go.

Since BASE OUTLINE has no Layout capability than we consider Xenon-Default as the DEFAULT template for the site in terms of Layout.

So in this scenario I have my BASE OUTLINE setup the way I wish. Then I setup the layout in my Xenon-Default template now two things can happen from this point on if I go change my BASE OUTLINE setup:

1) if in my Xenon-Default I haven't checked any of the Colour and Style settings in the Styles tab with some other styling than any change in BASE OUTLINE will be automatically reflected in this Outline.

2) in my Xenon-Default if I've ONLY checked the Header colour styles with set my own values. In this case my changes in BASE OUTLINE will appear here also EXCEPT for the Header colour styles which I've overridden in this Outline.
    • The following users have thanked you: wildcat

• wildcat
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• You lost me at Xenon-default........Just kidding! :D

Aaaahh! That makes sense ...after I read it a couple, few, maybe 10, times, hehe :)

It seems a shame the Base Outline doesn't also control the default layout for the site, so that making a sitewide change to the layout could be done at the base level.

My first Gantry 5 site is nearly finished, I will give Gantry 5 one more try with my next site, probably without using a Rocketlauncher and see how that goes.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by wildcat.
    • Brisbane Web Design
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• wildcat wrote:
      You lost me at Xenon-default........Just kidding! :D

Aaaahh! That makes sense ...after I read it a couple, few, maybe 10, times, hehe :)

It seems a shame the Base Outline doesn't also control the default layout for the site, so that making a sitewide change to the layout could be done at the base level.

My first Gantry 5 site is nearly finished, I will give Gantry 5 one more try with my next site, probably without using a Rocketlauncher and see how that goes.

It doesn't have to as if you duplicate an Outline than that Layout is carried over to your new Outline. Good luck with Gantry 5 - just remember if your using the Stand-alone template make sure you check the Docs for that template as that will help setup your site.

The other thing you might want to consider, depending on the site, is an alternative method:

1) install a RocketLauncher

2) delete all the Article content

3) use J2XML to export the content from the old site and then import it to the new.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds