I am really confused about assignments. I created a main menu:
      Home
      About
      Events
      Groups
      Topics
      Resources
      Contact Me

I simply want to leave off the "About" menu item (and submenu items) on the home page. I thought I could do this by editing the assignments on the Home and Default templates. I have all the Main Menu items clicked on for the Default and all but the About (and submenus) on the Home. Please see my screenshot. But then I try to set the default page and it changes my home settings to shut everything off and the About section and all other menu items are still visable. I guess I really don't understand how this works. Can you please explain what I need to unpublish the About (submenu) items from the home page but keep it published for all other pages?

Thanks
      bcsgroup
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Understanding Assignments

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • Your parent menu item "About" is a text separator and Joomla does not allow this to be an assignable link. So we can target the Home page with a page class suffix in some CSS to kill the display of that menu item:
      .itemid-101 li.g-menu-item.g-menu-item-104.g-menu-item-type-separator.g-parent.g-standard {
          display: none;
      }
    • BCS Group
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Dan,

Thanks for the workaround with the CSS. I decided not to do that and instead make "About" a linkable artilce called "Jungian Anlysis". I have it unassigned in both the home Template and the Default and it is still showing. I have attached a screenshot of both my default and home settings in "Template - Assignments" I don't understand what the assignments is suppose to do. For me it does not change anything no matter what I do. I gave you creditials if you want to take a look for yourself in the administrator. UG! Any thoughts?

bcsgroup
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• BCS Group wrote:
      Dan,

Thanks for the workaround with the CSS. I decided not to do that and instead make "About" a linkable artilce called "Jungian Anlysis". I have it unassigned in both the home Template and the Default and it is still showing. I have attached a screenshot of both my default and home settings in "Template - Assignments" I don't understand what the assignments is suppose to do. For me it does not change anything no matter what I do. I gave you creditials if you want to take a look for yourself in the administrator. UG! Any thoughts?

bcsgroup

By doing this:
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

you've guaranteed yourself NOT to be able to change the menu on ANY Outline. What your're saying is my Default Outline for ALL menu pages is the HomePositions and all assigned menus use this same Outline.

What you SHOULD have is the Default Outline yellow-starred as the Default Template for ALL menu pages which will show your Jungian Analysis.
      Then for the HomePositions Outline -> Assignements -> MainMenu -> toggle ALL items ON except for Jungian Analysis which would be toggled OFF.
    • BCS Group
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Ok still not working...
      I have the default template "starred"
      Default assignment default to everything shut off no matter what..even if I click some on.. after it saves it turns them back to being off. Is it suppose to have everything off as the default. I cant change it even if I tried.

Home assignment: turned everything on except Jungian Analysis and submenus...saved. When I go back in the topics articles are off. In addition it did not take Jungian Analysis off the Home page. One last thing.. the overlay colors I had on the homepage is now gone making it difficult to read the header slides.

Thank you for your feedback so far but I am still at a loss...

bcsgroup

Update..I had to get going on this for the client. I have uploaded the current settings in the attachments. They seem to work sylistically ie I am able to get the headers on every page and I am able to get the overlay to work. I am still completely confused as to why I can not shut off the Jungian Analysis pages (and submenu items) on the home page. I would appreciate a look at my current settings and an explaination as to how to unpublish the Jungian menu and submenu items off the home page. I still want them on all other pages. That would give me some rational as to how to problem solve my needs. At this point I am serious thinking it is a bug and the assignments functionality is not working correctly. It should not be this hard. I have other issues once that gets resolved but lets focus here first.

Thanks again. I hope I didn't screw up the queue by editing this post.
      bcsgroup
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by BCS Group.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• BCS Group wrote:
      Thank you for your feedback so far but I am still at a loss...

bcsgroup

It's working now but only after I had to rethink it a bit. The Outline Assignments don't control what menu items are shown just which Outline to use for any menu page. The trick was having two Main Menus - one with Jungian Analysis present (Main Menu 2) and one without (Main Menu).

Then for the Default Outline your Menu Particle will be set to use Main Menu 2 which has Jungian Analysis published. Then the Home Outline has the Menu Particle set to use Main Menu which has Jungian Analysis unpublished.

The last little detail is I set your Main Menu 2 -> Home 2 item to be a menu alias for Main Menu -> Home so there is only one true Home page.
    • The following users have thanked you: BCS Group

• BCS Group
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Awesome work Dan! My mind was actually going in that direction but was not sure how the assignments were set up. This makes total sense how you set it up. It's a lot of work just to unpublish a menu item! You are the best thanks!!!

bcsgroup
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• BCS Group wrote:
      Awesome work Dan! My mind was actually going in that direction but was not sure how the assignments were set up. This makes total sense how you set it up. It's a lot of work just to unpublish a menu item! You are the best thanks!!!

bcsgroup

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds