Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5

• Crocodile
    • Sr. Rocketeer

SOLVED Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • If I were to judge my abilities on a scale of 0 - 10, with 10 being supremely expert I would rate myself at around 3, and that is being generous. I have been using Rocket Theme Templates for a little while now and find them to be excellent and they make my sites look as if I should rate myself much higher, it has even been suggested that I know what I am doing. Hardly.

Now along comes Gantry 5 and I tried and failed a few times. With some perserverance I am getting used to the Framework and it is becoming easier, mainly thanks to the odd answer to a few dumb questions in the Forums. I am actually considering being proud of myself.

I sincerely believe that the folks who actually figured out Gantry 5 spend most of their days in a padded room. Being able to conceive of such a CMS must require a little insanity I am sure. This is truly beautiful and I can't thank whoever is responsible enough.

Nice job, many thanks. Now get back into your straight jacket and go to sleep, you must be exhausted.
    • The following users have thanked you: Joe Halleck, David Goode, Djamil Legato, Kat05, DanG, Empowermom, MrT, Damir

• Re: SOLVED Gantry 5

• Thank you so much for your kind words. Ease of use and simplicity have been the main focus ever since we started discussing Gantry 5 internally, up to its development.
      With Gantry 5 we wanted to let anyone less comfortable writing code to still have all the tools needed to get the job done through the admin, while still leaving room for the developers to accomplish anything they desire with code and customizations.

This also means that the less expert, over time and if desired, will be able to discover a lot more of what Gantry has to offer.

Finding a good balance to accomodate the two types of users (less expert and experts) hasn’t been easy and we feel like there’s still a lot of room for improvements which is what we intend to continue to do: listen to yours feedbacks and make Gantry even better.

We know Gantry 5 requires some learning curve and, especially when coming from the previous versions of Gantry, it also demands a different mindset while approaching it. We have been telling this since the very beginning, knowing that it was a lot to ask to the users but we strongly believed, and still do, that it’s the only way to truly appreciate Gantry 5.

So I once again thank you, truly, for being perseverant and not giving up at the first sign of fail. In fact, we would love to hear what took you a few adjustments to get used to the framework, so that we can improve it.
    • / Djamil Legato / Lead Developer /
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5

• Crocodile wrote:
      Nice job, many thanks. Now get back into your straight jacket and go to sleep, you must be exhausted.

Side-tracking here a bit...the Joomla community knows that Gantry 5 is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread :) but as a Mod we have all of us communicating a lot with our "Heroes Reborn" team of devs. Even though they were having their own devils to deal with they always took the time to provide clear explanations of those G5'ish things we didn't have a good handle on.

Not only did they assist the Mod team but go on https://gitter.im/gantry/gantry5 and see their daily contributions to Joomla users.

Our dev team " Rocks the Casbah "
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • The following users have thanked you: Empowermom

• Crocodile
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Djamil Legato wrote:
      In fact, we would love to hear what took you a few adjustments to get used to the framework, so that we can improve it.

Truly it was just a matter of finding my way around and following your examples as displayed by downloading a Rocket Launched Template. I have been guilty of copying much of it and then playing with it to see what it does. Continuous backups when I am playing lets me go back to square one if I mess it up.

I can't thank you guys enough. Best wishes.
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 5

• I agree. You guys rock.
    • The following users have thanked you: Kat05, DanG, MrT, Damir

• Crocodile
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• You asked for some feedback so here is a little.

When I add something to the Gantry Layout I have to do it several times, once for each of the "page designs", which seems a little redundant. Is there a way that when I make one change an option can be made available to propogate the one through other layouts.

Thanks
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Crocodile wrote:
      You asked for some feedback so here is a little.

When I add something to the Gantry Layout I have to do it several times, once for each of the "page designs", which seems a little redundant. Is there a way that when I make one change an option can be made available to propogate the one through other layouts.

Thanks

Our later templates have the sections populated with module position's rather than actual particles as Callisto was. The advantage here is in the Layout Manager the Showcase Section can have a module position particle assigned with the showcase-a module position.

In your Joomla Module Manager you create three modules styled a little differently and assigned to the showcase-a module position but you can have them on different pages as you get to choose the menu assignment for each module.

As for the future please see " Gantry 5 Agenda, Exploration and Time Travel "
    • Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • Our later templates have the sections populated with module position's rather than actual particles as Callisto was. The advantage here is in the Layout Manager the Showcase Section can have a module position particle assigned with the showcase-a module position.

Is this mean that ALL NEWER TEMPLATES AFTER CALLISTO have that “More Joomla friendly” way to work ?
    • The following users have thanked you: Terp

• Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • Patrick Toulze wrote:
      Our later templates have the sections populated with module position's rather than actual particles as Callisto was. The advantage here is in the Layout Manager the Showcase Section can have a module position particle assigned with the showcase-a module position.

Is this mean that ALL NEWER TEMPLATES AFTER CALLISTO have that “More Joomla friendly” way to work ?

I believe after Ethereal would be a safer bet.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds