Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5 upgrade from 4 ?

• Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

SOLVED Gantry 5 upgrade from 4 ?

Posted 9 years 9 months ago
    • What will that involve on pre-5 templates?
    • Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 upgrade from 4 ?

• Have you read this article yet? www.rockettheme.com/blog/team/134-gantry...irements-and-details

Once Gantry 5 and relative template(s) are unveiled, I'm sure the team will begin upgrading older, more popular templates as they always have. It will take time to update older templates, just as it did with template responsiveness, bootstrap integration, additional font choices, etc. which we've seen over the years. So far, their updates as we've progressed the last few years have been timely, especially given the coding challenges in keeping up with developments in technology.

I'll be watching with you here for an answer from a staff member. :)
    • Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 upgrade from 4 ?

• Not really sure about what I’m reading.

No mention that existing templates will be ported to Gantry 5 ?
      Will Gantry5 be Backwards Compatible?
      The short answer to this question is no. Gantry5 is a major update to the framework, with virtually every aspect of it being changed in one way or another.

Andi Miller says
      We have kept Gantry backwards compatible since 2009. That's going to be 5 years come this December! That's in impressive amount of backwards compatibility by anyone's book. Now is the time to start a new era for Gantry and ensure we can support it for a decent amount of time also.

As a web site provider, all those time restriction and backward compatibility problems on Joomla itself and/or framework and templates mean that the life span of a site is becoming shorter and shorter and are less and less affordable for site owners.

I was thinking that the future will bring more flexible & adaptable frameworks. Joomla lost a lot in it’s transition 1.5 - 3. People went to other solution even if Joomla today is clearly the better CMS.

We always hear about that separation of design and structure, but I guess we are not going there.
    • Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Patrick Toulze.
    • Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
    • ZeFish
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 upgrade from 4 ?

• The problem with Gantry 5 is that we have no idea of what will change :)
      It's not really problematic if they implement some kind of switch-off on every Gantry4 template, that prevent Gantry5 install. But if people can install it whenever they want, heavily customized websites admins gonna hate (since accidental update from G4 to G5 isn't prohibited).

I understand what you're saying, but would you say the same thing if everything was done to help transitioning. The best example is the recent Joomla 3.4 new features : developer.joomla.org/news/589-joomla-3-4-update.html ... ho yeah ! change you can trust !
      I'm sure Joomla will require more work, and it doesn't makes me happy, but I'll see if I can take advantage of the new context : J3 helped in the "mobile era", J3.3 help with microformat, an so on.

What we need is a solid documentation / forum about Gantry 5, as soon as possible. So at least we can decide if we should start move forward.
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 upgrade from 4 ?

Posted 8 years 5 months ago

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds