0 items Join Now

Dropping Gantry 5

• Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Dropping Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    • Richard Parks wrote:
      Hi Kat

You will see that I have made many posting in the rockettheme forum over the years. I have never had an issue with gantry until version 5.

My biggest issue is that simple things like placing a custom module on one page makes no sense to me at all. I have tried watching the videos and I can't seem to get it.

Hi again,

thank you for clarifying what your issue is. In my previous replies today in this thread, I've already addressed this and I hope I could help a bit to take away any misconceptions.

If you still have an issue or if there is anything that you were able to do in Gantry 4 but not in Gantry 5, please let us know.

We really have put a lot of thought and hard work into this new version of the framework and are convinced that we have not cut away any of the functionality or complicated any processes. If you liked Gantry 4, you should love Gantry 5. If not, maybe it's just a misunderstanding or a lack in our documentation which we would love to address.

We're happy to keep hearing from you and everyone else, because feedback from our community and anyone who is using Gantry is essential to the success of the product.

Kat :)
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• TownHall wrote:
      What's even worse are that outlines are not even included in search results. When you create a regular Joomla article and then create an outline to place a module onto a menu item, it treats the joomla article as a separate entity from the outline itself.

I like what G5 has to offer, but what I'm beginning to hate is the fact that it doesn't let me use the Joomla CMS in the way that it's designed to be used.
      Hi again,

I would love to understand what exactly you mean with the first paragraph, how would Outlines be included in search results? Are different Joomla template overrides included in search results, such 'Beez - Fruitshop'? Let me know if I am misunderstanding what you are referring to.

And what exactly in Gantry 5 does not allow you to use Joomla the way it is designed to be used?

• Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Canberra Web wrote:
      I really liked Gantry 4 but Gantry 5 is terrible.
      Canberra Web wrote:
      Why do we even need particles at all when we have modules? Why didn't you enhance module features rather than writing you own version?
      Hi again,

In Gantry 4, take a look at the 'Features' tab in the template admin. Depending on which Gantry 4 template you're looking at, you'll see options such as 'Logo', 'Date', 'Social Buttons', 'Branding', 'ToTop', etc. Our users love that about Gantry 4, I am sure you do too.

Now in Gantry 5 we came up with a different solution to add these options to your site and we decided to call them particles. So in the Gantry 5 'Settings' and 'Layouts' panels you'll also find 'Logo', 'Date', 'Social Buttons', 'Branding', 'ToTop', etc.

In Gantry 4 you would either enable or disable the 'Logo' feature and assign it to a module position.
      In Gantry 5 you can either enable or disable the 'Logo' particle and assign it to a certain section/row.

It's pretty similar to setup if you think of it. So what's different (or should I say better) in Gantry 5? Taking the 'Logo' particle as an example, you now have several more options, all available in the template administrator. To add a link to the logo, to add a class, to have the logo just be text, to add the ALT text, etc. None of these was possible in Gantry 4, but it is now in Gantry 5. So I would think, this is a great improvement.

What else can you do now with the Gantry 5 'Logo' particle that you could not do with the Gantry 4 'Logo' feature? We have had a lot of questions about ordering of features in Gantry 4. Let's say you had the logo in the 'header-a' position and you also have a custom HTML module in the 'header-a' position. There was no way to actively choose if you wanted to show the logo above the custom HTML module or the other way around. In Gantry 5 this is no longer a concern, you can simply drag and drop the positions around in the Gantry 5 Layout Manager, just the way you want. Another great improvement, that is a result of feedback we had from our users.

Along with the Logo particle, we have a lot more particles and it is really up to everyone's own decision whether or not they want to take advantage of this functionality. If you would like to continue to use simple modules, go for it. It's still possible with Gantry 5.

• Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by David Goode.
  • Re: Dropping Gantry 5

• I'm glad Gantry5 is so powerful and awesome and great for you.

My whole business is based on Gantry, and you've "innovated" to a point where I don't want to use it anymore.
      I don't like the complexity, but moreover, I don't trust Rockettheme enough to trust it with my future.

I will not be renewing my membership after 6 years, and I will find another framework or some other template developer who will continue to offer new G4 templates.
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

• Are there other template companies using Gantry4?
      Since you are not making G4 templates anymore, then it should be no problem to discuss that here.
      You will not be competing with them.
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• netstepinc wrote:
      Are there other template companies using Gantry4?
      Since you are not making G4 templates anymore, then it should be no problem to discuss that here.
      You will not be competing with them.

Not our "Gantry 4" but they have there own proprietary versions of "Gantry" similar to our Gantry 4.
      Some of the bigger ones, being spurred by the introduction our Gantry 5 framework are also introducing their own proprietary versions of "Gantry 5".

It seems you can't escape the future ;)

• I have to disagree. I'm a novice at development since I have just started developing with Joomla and Gantry 4 for a year now. And I always enjoyed Gantry 4. Its very simple. However, Gantry 5 made it really easy to pass to a costumer to change anything and even for me to develop special custom tools with YAML and TWIG particles for the novice. I guess its just a getting used to kind of thing. Give it a shot! Its a great tool and just under development. They are taking lots of suggestions on Gitter.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Goode, Kat05

• I'm glad you think Gantry5 is a good fit for your business.

I built my business on RocketTheme/Gantry.
      I use G4 in a shared codebase environment that powers more than 100 sites.
      I can't get G5 to work via symlink so I can't use it in my business.

When I asked a basic question about how G5 handled css resources, the thread went undanswered.
      www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry-for-joo...tal-error-whoops-css

I trusted Rockettheme with my business and now I won't be able to use any of their new templates.
      So my subscription ends and I look for different framework that isn't so "innovative".

This is incredibly frustrating.
    • Dan221
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi Djamil, first I thank you for your answer. I hear and understand what you are saying. I found you start a new Gantry5 forum now. Thank you. I am shure Gantry5 will work in the future. My experience was:

The naming conventions are useless, but I understand, its fun to start a new thing. So you should avoid using this atoms, particles, outlines whatever thing.

Gantry5 is a true child of Gantry4, so dont say, its a complete new thing. Its usability is born out of the Gantry4 ideas and this is maybe one of the problems - it should start from Joomla thinking. Gantry5 is a rulebreaker without need. It can be a Master- or Godtemplate, but it should not be the CMS-Master at all.

Everything I tried starting from page-suffix to loadmodule; try to use a particle with translation; try to duplicate an particle, try to use a browser safe font like Helvetica, did not work; and worst: Gantry made an menu-entry, an component entry, two template entries by itself.

Dont get me wrong: I know, you will make Gantry5 more useful in the next months. So even if I dont understand the hurry to roll out a not ready product that fast, it will work some day.

But you should feel responsible for Gantry4. If Gantry5 is such a flexible thing that is working with any CMS and as standalone, it really should have a timeline and path for a migration to Gantry5 or get updates to the changes you think are absolutely necessary now: Skip old code for 2.5, change to SASS and whatever.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Dan221 wrote:
      Gantry5 is a true child of Gantry4, so dont say, its a complete new thing.

It is a NEW thing. Gantry 4 was the visual representation of code structures that made up that Framework.
      Gantry 5 is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT animal. The coding languages, the structures, EVERYTHING is different.
      The things that Gantry 5 can do would never have been possible in Gantry 4 as that Framework was designed.
      The ONLY commonality that Gantry 5 shares with its predecessor is the title in the name - "Gantry".

I don't understand the issues that your having? As I look back through your previous Topics I see they've all had a reply from a Mod. So if you still have outstanding issues then by all means please start a new Topic.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds