Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Dropping Gantry 5

• Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

Re: Dropping Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    • @netstepinc -- I've replied to your topic.
    • The following users have thanked you: netstepinc

• Gantry 5, enjoy!
  • Re: Dropping Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • I am another memeber Dropping off Gantry 5.

I totally hate it. I always thought that rockettheme developed the best templates. All my websites are running templates based on gantry 4.
      This is a done Deal I will not renew my membership. I really liked Gantry 4 templates.

I have nothing else to say. I just totally hate gantry 5.

Sorry Rocketheme you just lost another member.

Good bye.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Agustin Velascoq - That's a real shame that this is your very first post in the forum. We would have welcomed any questions that you might have had about Gantry 5 and been glad to assist you. I would also point out that you membership entitled you to use any of our templates (including Gantry 4 templates which make up the bulk of our portfolio).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Agustin Velascoq wrote:
      All my websites are running templates based on gantry 4.
      This is a done Deal I will not renew my membership. I really liked Gantry 4 templates.

You still can have Gantry 4 templates with Gantry 5 starting with our Requiem template. In the Layout Manager you can load in a Gantry 4 preset that has a LARGE number of available module position's.

With this setup and if you didn't need to use Gantry 5 particles then you would use Joomla to create your articles, menus and modules just like you did in Gantry 4.

One major difference is that if in Gantry 4 you wanted to set custom module widths in the Template Manager -> Layouts you couldn't - you had to use the pre-defined widths. Also if you wanted to have a set of modules of less than six across in a template module position with modules below the firat row - you couldn't. You would have to use the next lower template module position.

With Gantry 5 you don't have ANY of these restrictions.

So now you can have the best of both worlds.

• Yes... I've been a Developer subscriber since 15 Oct 2009. I built my whole business on RocketThemes/G4.
      After 6 years of complete trust in RocketTheme my subscription ends 20 Dec 2015.

I've found the forums and RT support to be fantastic...they helped me tremendously, and I will miss that.

However, the G4 preset method described here won't work for my setup because Gantry5 doesn't appear to work via symlink with my shared core architecture. All my sites use the same files via symlink in separate hosting accounts. G4 worked GREAT.

I'm still on the fence about which framework to move to but it's likely to be T3.
      The process of shifting design framework will suck, but RocketTheme and I have hit a fork in the road. I'm very disappointed.
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

• You should just open a ticket on Github, if we don't know about the issues, how can we fix them?

For what it's worth, we at RT develop on gantry5 with 10-15 different joomla and wordpress instances and they are always symbolically linked, both gantry and the templates.
      I even wrote a tool that we use internally for easy symbolic links, called hebe , and we have been using it for many years.

If you open an issue explaining the problem and how to reproduce, we can take a look, that's what we have been doing for the past 768 issues and questions .

As a developer of gantry, of both v4 and v5, it saddens me to see that for such a simple and probably easy to fix issue, which doesn't even involve directly the framework code itself but more a server setup, you just give up on it.

I wish you would give it a chance and help us help you improving gantry. Either way I wish you the best of luck.
    • / Djamil Legato / Lead Developer /
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Second what Djamil said. We want to keep you on board, and Gantry 5 is not set in stone. New features are being added all the time, and we haven't even finished adding more CMS platforms which will take Gantry further than it has ever gone before.

Issues like the one in your last message are fixable, and all you need to do to make it happen is let us know it exists. :)

Our development team is small, and we count on the users to tell us what they need.

I invite you to tell us what it would take from a development standpoint to keep you on board as a RocketTheme customer?
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA

• I don't want another CMS.
      I need SIMPLICITY for my customers...not another layer of complexity making Joomla an even bigger pain in the butt.

Moreover, this bumpy ride getting jacked around by a proprietary framework has discouraged me from weaving RT further into my projects.
      I wish to become less dependent on any one company...because if you guys change your minds, I'm screwed again.

I realize I can access old G4 templates, but I used to look forward to the 1st (or 5th) of each month to see what new cool template RT was going to release. There's not much point in paying for a Dev subscription only to access the forums and old templates I already have.

I never knew about hebe until this post, so it's hard to post GIT requests.
      I'll try hebe before my subscription expires to give G5 a fair shake.
      Can it handle symlinking all my extensions?

I know this is thread creep, but you mentioned hebe so I'll describe my current setup.

I use cPanel with one core set of files in
      /home/codebase/public_html/J3code/

Used by
      /home/user1/public_html/
      /home/user2/public_html/

Each site only has a config file, htaccess, images and some of the media files. All plugins, modules, templates, components and as much of the media as possible resides only in the code repository. We have a custom plugin that handles the resources.

User1,2,3,etc. access php resources just fine from the core file set.
      However, the slave sites cannot access slavesite.com/ <symlinked img,css,js> files vai the symlink.
      i.e. /components/assets/images/example.jpg can't be displayed in a slave site.
      We've exposed the permissions to the master site as far as we can without begging to get hacked.

We have gradually identified the resources that fail and add them to our code repository exception list.
      Instead of trying to use those resources via symlink, the slave site pulls the resource from the master site.
      Relative: /components/assets/images/example.jpg
      Becomes Absolute: codebaseexample.com/J3code/components/assets/images/example.jpg

Do the G5 templates include RokNavMenu or an equivalent?
      I don't want a separate G5 menu.
      My understanding is G5 does not have RokNavMenu. The features I used the most are limited width multi-column menus with visible nested children. When I asked about visible 3rd level children (when viewing level 2) before, I was told the G5 menu can't do that.

I realize G5 is in a constant state of evolution, but I can't shift my whole business while trying to hit a moving target.
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• netstepinc wrote:
      I don't want another CMS.
      I need SIMPLICITY for my customers...not another layer of complexity making Joomla an even bigger pain in the butt.

You're in luck, then, because adding another CMS doesn't do anything at all to Gantry's complexity. In the case of our next CMS addition, Grav, it's actually a very simple flat-file CMS (developed by our team) that is about as simple and easy as it gets. However, the fact that Gantry supports it doesn't change anything for your user's experience on Joomla.

netstepinc wrote:
      Moreover, this bumpy ride getting jacked around by a proprietary framework has discouraged me from weaving RT further into my projects.
      I wish to become less dependent on any one company...because if you guys change your minds, I'm screwed again.

We're not changing our minds, and here's why: Gantry 4 has a base that is over 5 years old and while it is still quite good, Gantry 5 is capable of doing a lot more, a lot easier. We built Gantry 5 for the future, and have a development plan that is solid, and publicized throughout its documentation, our blog, etc.

You say you want to reduce complexity for your users, well, a drag-and-drop user interface versus the slider system we had in Gantry 4's layout manager is one way this is achieved.
      netstepinc wrote:
      Do the G5 templates include RokNavMenu or an equivalent?

YES! The Menu editor is baked in to the framework. It replaces RokNavMenu and does a LOT more. For example, you can rearrange menu items, inject modules and particles, assign CSS classses directly to menu items, edit submenus with drag-and-drop ease, etc.netstepinc wrote:
      I don't want a separate G5 menu.

You won't have one. G5 takes your existing menus and enhances them before passing them through to the front end. G5 doesn't change the menu at all as far as Joomla is concerned, it just makes style changes to it before it renders, all saved separately from Joomla so it doesn't interfere. But the menus themselves are the same Joomla menus.
      netstepinc wrote:
      I realize G5 is in a constant state of evolution, but I can't shift my whole business while trying to hit a moving target.

G5 is evolving, but the evolution from this point forward is incremental and not something you'd have to change your business around. Here's the thing: Gantry 5's development is in your control. You actually have the ability to directly affect development decisions. Just submit an issue to the GitHub project, or join us on Gitter chat.

Pardon my assumption but it seems like you haven't spent much time with Gantry 5, and we'd be happy to help you get to know it. We have some videos available on YouTube (which are embedded directly in the Gantry 5 documentation).

I know I didn't answer all of your questions. I'm not a member of the development team so I'll leave the rest to them.

Speaking as a non-developer... Gantry 5 is far easier for me to pick up and understand than Gantry 4 was. We believe your clients will agree, and appreciate the modern, simple UX while you enjoy a more flexible and powerful framework.
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
    • Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Ryan wrote:
      You're in luck, then, because adding another CMS doesn't do anything at all to Gantry's complexity. In the case of our next CMS addition, Grav, it's actually a very simple flat-file CMS (developed by our team) that is about as simple and easy as it gets. However, the fact that Gantry supports it doesn't change anything for your user's experience on Joomla.

When are we going to get it through to you ..... none of us want grave :P

Im with all the users leaving the ship

I LOVE gantry ...(need import/export cause changing themes sux) ..... Im sticking with it while my club membership lasts
      BUT

Im leaving it with my last 2 customers of many. I showed them 2 setups ... one RT + Gantry5 and your cometition with a very easy extension that acts very much like Gantry that is built for idiots. They have choosen your competition for ease of use even though they understood the poower of Gantry.
      So im walking with my customers and will build all new sites using your opositions product
      The end of the phpbb club (not of any new phpbb styles ... that i understand) was the final layer in the cofin.

I will be around for a long time yet and would love to see gantry grow but i think it took the wrong direction and forgot about the end user who has the brain of a carrot (not the webmasters)

Thanks to all the developers for all your hard work

:)
    • The following users have thanked you: netstepinc

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds