Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Captions not working in Joomla 3

• ianmol100
    • Hero Rocketeer

Captions not working in Joomla 3

Posted 10 years 8 months ago
    • Are there any known issues with Joomla 3 captions. Neither the intro or full image captions show up in Oculus template.
      Thanks
      Ian
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

Re: Captions not working in Joomla 3

• I think you need to enable that by adding

<?php JHtml::_('behavior.caption'); ?>

pretty high in head-tag of the index.php of the template.
      Probably it needs come css tweaking.
    • ianmol100
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hi Henning,

Thanks for the response. Is that the same with all Gantry templates?
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• I guess so but I'm not sure.
      To be honest not many ppl like a js driven caption solution like the one in Joomla.
    • ianmol100
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hi Henning,

What is the alternative if you use intro and full images in Joomla articles?

Will Gantry be fixed to incorporate captions?

Thanks

Ian
  • Re: Captions not working in Joomla 3

Posted 9 years 5 months ago
    • G'day there!

Using J3.3.6 and Gantry V4.1.24.

I've added the code given above and it makes no difference.

I'm using the standard Joomla image embed systen linked from the Image button at the bottom of the editor.

Neither the Image Float or the Caption Class fields have any effect without extra styling in my gantry-custom.css file. Here's the css code I've used:
      .pull-center {
      text-align: center;
      display-block;
      color: red;
      }
      .text-center {
      color: green;
      text-align: center;
      }
      Please understand that this is test site, not the real site I'm working on.

The caption is not restricted to the width of the image as it should be. It takes the full width of the page.

I'm wondering if the javascript that's supposed to tell the caption to take on the width of the image isn't loading or is disabled. Maybe jscaption or some such. I picked up this idea from other stuff I've read on this forum.

I see that in some other templates, Helix 2, Protostar, Beez 3, the captions work as expected but they have the problem that the image and caption are not responsive though the rest of the text is.

So there seem to be problems all round with the image captions and I'm wondering whether the problems stem from J3.3.6.

It's worth noting that with such a basic problem you'd expect it to be all over the forum, but it's not, so I wonder if it's something I'be done wrong or not done.

I'd sure appreciate a point in the right direction. I'm committed to a Gantry, responsive site on this job.

Thanks,
      Laurie.

• Sorry, I should have included the code from index.php:
      <head>
              <?php JHtml::_('behavior.caption'); ?>
      	<?php if ($gantry->get('layout-mode') == '960fixed') : ?>
      	<meta name="viewport" content="width=960px, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">
      	<?php elseif ($gantry->get('layout-mode') == '1200fixed') : ?>
      	<meta name="viewport" content="width=1200px, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">
      	<?php else : ?>
      	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
      	<?php endif; ?>
      <?php if ($gantry->browser->name == 'ie') : ?>
      	<meta content="IE=edge" http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" />
      <?php endif; ?>	
          <?php
              $gantry->displayHead();
      		$gantry->addStyle('grid-responsive.css', 5);
      		$gantry->addLess('bootstrap.less', 'bootstrap.css', 6);
              if ($gantry->browser->name == 'ie'){
              	if ($gantry->browser->shortversion == 9){
              		$gantry->addInlineScript("if (typeof RokMediaQueries !== 'undefined') window.addEvent('domready', function(){ RokMediaQueries._fireEvent(RokMediaQueries.getQuery()); });");
              	}

Thanks,
      Laurie.

• Bump

Hi there again!

I need some help to get the captions working in the Gantry template.

The code given above doesn't work in J3.3.6. <?php JHtml::_('behavior.caption'); ?> At least, it doesn't work for me. Would you please check what I've done with the code, in the post above.

Captions works perfectly, straight out of the box, in Protostar template, so it seems unlikely it's a Joomla problem.

I can easily add to the gantry-custom.css file to centre the image and text, but the code given does not confine the caption text to the width of the image.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

If Gantry can't be made to work, I'm hoping there will be a suitable alternative such as an extension, likely a plugin, that will do the job.

The site is for a large, not-for profit organisation in Australia which contracts to the federal government, settling refugees and other imagrants. There's an in-house journalist working full time on news stories and press releases so the site needs to look and function well and be convenient for the journo to publish.

Thanks,
      Laurie
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• Do you have a link to check?
      Wich version of Joomla, Gantry and the Gantry-template are you using exactly?
    • Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Henning.

• G'day there Henning! Thanks for the reply.

I'm using J3.3.6, Gantry template 4.1.25

The gantry framework is the one from the same package. I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and installed from my Downloads directory.

I can't show you the actual site I'm working on, however, here's one of several test sites I've been testing on. It's practly a pristine installation with only Sourcerer, Gantry, Helix 2, and a few extra extensions from the Siteground hosting. I've added the code given above, to the Gantry index.php file. This was a clean installation a couple of days ago. EDIT Laurie. Removed URL.

Here's another of my test sites, hosted on Host For Web: EDIT Laurie. Removed URL. Please excuse the mess. If you click around the blog you'll find stuff where I've been testing.

I should say I've had slightly varying problems using Helix 2 and Wright templates, leading me to think it's a problem common to the more sophystaced templates. Protostar is fine and from memory Beez 3 was OK also.

I'm happy to send you a login but I can't see a PM link.

Thanks,
      Laurie.
    • Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Laurie McArthur.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds