Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

White Screen of Death when accessing Template Details?

• White Screen of Death when accessing Template Details?

Posted 12 years 11 months ago
    • Hi all,

I've just run into a problem with a new site using the Quantive template and associated Gantry framework. Everything was installed using the latest RocketLauncher.

Whenever I try and adjust the template parameters I get an error -

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 18087936) (tried to allocate 271527 bytes) in /home/switchto/public_html/libraries/joomla/document/html/html.php on line 389

I've adjusted the mem limit in my PHP.ini file to 128M (which should be more than enough!), the funny thing is that I have a copy of this site on another host and everything works fine with a mem limit of 32M ?

Any ideas ?

Running Joomla 1.5.23
      PHP v5.2.17
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: White Screen of Death when accessing Template Details?

• Have you checked Admin -> Help -> System Info -> PHP Information -> memory_limit to see what Joomla actually sees as your memory limit.
      It may well be if you're on a shared hosting account your php.ini changes may be overridden to accommodate all users on that server. A lot of shared servers limit your php memory available to either 32MB or 64MB.

To get a true test of what your server is supplying, upload this script to your root directory and run it, http://www.yourdomain.com/phpmemtest.php
      (Thanks to Nicholas G. Antimisiaris for this script)
      It will tax your server up to a 128MB limit and show you at what point you actually run out of memory.
      This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Remove the ".txt" before uploading to your server.
  • Re: White Screen of Death when accessing Template Details?

• Thanks Dan for looking at this one.

Yes I've checked Admin -> Help -> System Info -> PHP Information -> memory_limit and it does show 128M (I'm on a VPS so can control my php.ini thankfully)

Cheers for the phpmentest script too .. Interesting results .. I ran out of memory @ 71M ..

You have allocated 71M (74544232) memory in this php script
      Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 262144) (tried to allocate 75497473 bytes) in /home/equilibr/public_html/phpmemtest.php on line 15

Not quite the 128M i'd imagined but more that the 64M suggested for Gantry ..

Any ideas ?
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Martin,

Can you check this post please -
      www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=33..._v=viewtopic#p582515 - Gantry Admin Troubleshooting Tips

Please post back to let us know if you solve your issue.

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Martin Beaumont wrote:
      You have allocated 71M (74544232) memory in this php script
      Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 262144) (tried to allocate 75497473 bytes) in /home/equilibr/public_html/phpmemtest.php on line 15
      I'm confused your 1st post referred to /home/switchto/ and you had a 18087936 exhaust point while trying to allocate another 271527, which means you have a PHP memory limit max of 17.25MB to 17.50MB.
      Are these two domains on the same server?
      I would still contact your vps provider and ask them what your FIXED memory limit they have set for you.

• Hi Dan,

Sorry another site - same problem, same server.

To keep things consistent (which I should have done) here's the error message I get from the first site I referenced -

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 15990784) (tried to allocate 225242 bytes) in /home/switchto/public_html/libraries/joomla/html/parameter.php on line 224

Remembering that in *theory* I'd allocated 128M of memory via my php.ini

So heres the results of the mem test as well -

You have allocated 71M (74543656) memory in this php script
      Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 262144) (tried to allocate 75497473 bytes) in /home/switchto/public_html/phpmemtest.php on line 15

Dan I will follow up with my hosting provider too - good idea.

• Just an FYI WHM reports memory as follows -

Memory: 1022440k/1048576k available (2592k kernel code, 25620k reserved, 1653k data, 224k init)

For what that's worth ;-)

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds