Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

GZipper Problems - Poor Rendering

• Malestorm
    • Rocketeer
    • Art Restoration & Sales, Tech Contractor

GZipper Problems - Poor Rendering

Posted 13 years 4 months ago
    • I have a long term problem in my website that I have not been able to figure out and have received no sage words when posting the problem in template-specific forums.

I now know that the problem has to do with GZIPPER. In my website, every now and then (I notice maybe once to four times per day) it looks as though the main screen was being rendered incompletely, especially the header / navigation area. Once in cache, the malformed screen stays until cache is flushed. Usually the mal-rendering is fairly minor, so it was easy to overlook, through irritating.

At it's mildest, the problem will appear like this:
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Notice that there are vertical bars over menu items where the class="orphan item bullet subtext".

There is also a more distracting version that appears like this:
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

I have now been able to reproduce the problems, sporadically by:
      - Clearing Cache
      - Clicking on a Google links that opens my front page.

or by selecting a link before the front page completely renders.

The mal-rendering stops when GZIPPER is disabled.

I know fixing the .htaccess problem is just a matter of figuring out which files / directories I need to provide exceptions for (The error message I am getting in the Firebug console is "NetworkError: 404 NOT FOUND - htttp://creativesnap.com/component/option,com_com_gantry/Itemid,/" but this file reference does not really make any sense). I am opening a separate topic on this issues.

My question I guess is, are there any other reports of the use GZIPPER resulting in this kind of problem, perhaps from a security or availability problem of needed files, and is there a solution?
    • Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Malestorm.
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: GZipper Problems - Poor Rendering

• This is a noted issue in Akeeba's documentation that it is not compatible with RokGzipper.

There is not a solution as of now.

If you dig through the documentation on the Akeeba site, it does tell you that these two don't play nicely.
    • Malestorm
    • Rocketeer

• Ben,

In this situation I am not using Akeeba Utilities ... I just noted that the problems found when using Akeeba looked similar. So could you please re-read and let me know how to eliminate the problem.

Many thanks,
      .. Scott
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I isolated this type of "mal-rendeing" to the use of GZIPPER as the result of working with AKEEBA's new Administration Tool

I read this as you having it enabled, but if it's not...

What are your cache settings for the mainmenu module?

In the mainmenu module parameters, you can set caching to "never" and then clear cache and try the page.

It's recommended to keep caching off for the menu anyways, as caching can affect the active highlights.

I've used dominion for other sites and haven't seen this issue with Gzipper enabled and menu caching off.

Are you having any javascript errors on that page?
    • NZD - Jonathan
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • CEO, NZD Securities

• If you have gzipper installed and enabled. You shouldnt had the gantry gzipper enabled at same time. Double check that option, you can find it at your dominion template page.

Hope that helps
      - Jonathan
    • Malestorm
    • Rocketeer

Posted 13 years 3 months ago
    • Hi Guys,
      I am just back from holiday travel.
      I read this as you having it enabled, but if it's not...
      What are your cache settings for the mainmenu module?

The plugin System - RokGZipper is NOT enabled.
      In my template parameters, Cache is currently set to OFF (I normally have it On but disabled it a week ago to try to isolate the problem.
      In my template parameters,Gantry Gzipper is set to ON with a Cache Timeout of 900 and an Expires Header Time of 1440.
      In the mainmenu module parameters, you can set caching to "never" and then clear cache and try the page. It's recommended to keep caching off for the menu anyways, as caching can affect the active highlights. I've used dominion for other sites and haven't seen this issue with Gzipper enabled and menu caching off.

I am not sure where you are telling me to adjust this parameter. With Dominion, you don't have a module for the mainmenu as is automatically produced without any separate module definition. And in the menu definition of mainmenu, there is not anywhere that I see to set caching to off, even in the frontpage layout's Gantry Fusion parameters. In the template Caching is already off in the default setup, and there is no separate home menu definition.
      Are you having any javascript errors on that page?
      Not that I have seen (using Firebug with console and network enabled). But of course here is the problem - one would expect that it is only the person triggering the Gzippering of CSS to see a Javascript error if it occurs, as once zippered, all other users are just reusing the badly zippered css, which absolutely does not cause any errors.

Please let me know of any other areas you would like me to check. This is a frustrating problem to debug, because the malrendering cannot be reproduced on demand, but it is a serious chronic problem that definitedly is related to the Gantry GZIPPER functionality, because in my test area I have stripped down the application, turning off modules and other possible complications. The problem only ever affects the front page.
    • Ben Lee
    • Elite Rocketeer

• The menu setup for the templates using Roknavmenu do let you have the mainmenu module unpublished as well as roknavmenu unpublished, but you can still open the mainmenu module associated with the main menu being used by the template and set caching to off and it will work.

If you'd like to PM me login details, I can check and see how things are set up.
    • Malestorm
    • Rocketeer

• Ben,

I followed your advice about changing the caching option on the RokNavMenu module, but it has had no effect. Any other suggestions.
    • NZD - Jonathan
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • CEO, NZD Securities

• For me it looks like a double zipping issue. I had it before aswell, when the joomla cache where on in same time. Also check the Gantry...

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds